Surface Elevation Tool - elevation changes between 2 points

jc1240

I heard some folks on the Mt. Holly, PA repeater tonight talking about repeaters and their elevations.  I was not in a position to chime in (technical roadblocks), but hopefully they read these forums.  Regardless, this is a neat tool anyone might want to use.

It uses Google Maps/Earth to show the elevation change between 2 points.  It defaults to the UK area, but just move the map to the area you want.  It's very cool and I found there is only 1 slight hill (relative) between my home and the Hanover, PA repeater.  This surprised me a bit, but helps explain why I can pick it up and TX to it about 21 miles away on a HT.

You can get the same functionality direct from Google Maps, but I don't know the settings to enable it.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-elevationtool.html

EDIT:  for clarification, the the elevation tool I'm referencing shows line-of-site between 2 points.  You can even adjust one or both points for actual antenna elevation (tower height).  It will show a graph of the relative elevation changes so you can easily see what might be in your way.  Here is an example showing a bit of a hill on the left end.

post-3986-0-37261900-1609938928_thumb.jpg