Midland MXT500

WRJZ943

Update - Midland directed me to additional DCS tones at the very end of "their" numeric list, which is not sequential with the DCS tone numbers, but their own set of numbers. ? Either way, I can now enter the correct Repeater split tones for the Denver Area Repeaters.

On another note, by asking my Support Contact, I was given a code for a 20% discount of a new MXT115. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but better than a "poke in the eye".  I guess I need to make a couple decisions on future direction, and if Midland will be a part of my equipment going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Jeep Invasion show this weekend in TN and talked to the Midland Rep on site. they had the MTX575 on site. It is much bigger box than the 275. I would say its at least 3-4 times bigger. That's a disappointment. It does have a mini usb on the front next to the mic jack so it may have some programming flexibility but he didn't know. . The rep I talked to said late fall is target to sell them. Of course he knew nothing about W/N band. I tried to explain the repeater issue but he seemed to either not care or not understand.  YMMV

Was at the Jeep Invasion show this weekend in TN and talked to the Midland Rep on site. they had the MTX575 on site. It is much bigger box than the 275. I would say its at least 3-4 times bigger. That's a disappointment. It does have a mini usb on the front next to the mic jack so it may have some programming flexibility but he didn't know. . The rep I talked to said late fall is target to sell them. Of course he knew nothing about W/N band. I tried to explain the repeater issue but he seemed to either not care or not understand.  YMMV

Disappointing that the Midland Personal Radio rep can't talk intelligently about those subjects. I don't think Midland wants to see GMRS as anything more than a consumer toy. If customers were knowledgeable, they might buy radios with better specs and features. Funny that Midland does not make GMRS repeaters. The problem may be the corporate structure as they do have , (or once did) a land mobile radio division that once made some fair to midland (pun intended) mobile radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, JLeikhim said:

Disappointing that the Midland Personal Radio rep can't talk intelligently about those subjects. I don't think Midland wants to see GMRS as anything more than a consumer toy. If customers were knowledgeable, they might buy radios with better specs and features. Funny that Midland does not make GMRS repeaters. The problem may be the corporate structure as they do have , (or once did) a land mobile radio division that once made some fair to midland (pun intended) mobile radios.

Their website is kind of unhelpful. I've been eyeing some of their LMR gear, and in digging there's a lot of their LMR stuff that exists in their website still, with little to no leads as to whether it's current product or not. They do still appear to have some LMR product on the market, at least.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, djxs said:

I contacted Midland to ask if my MXT 400 was programmed from factory to wide band and they said it was set to wide band. I have no way of verifying unless I get that cable. 

I bought my MXT400 in March/21 with the data cable and downloaded the programming software. The first time I was in programming mode, the radio was indeed already in wide band mode. I highly recommend getting the cable and download the software, it's well worth it.

Brian

WRKZ843

WB9VLW

Their website is kind of unhelpful. I've been eyeing some of their LMR gear, and in digging there's a lot of their LMR stuff that exists in their website still, with little to no leads as to whether it's current product or not. They do still appear to have some LMR product on the market, at least.
They used to make some pretty good LMR gear. The early low band repeaters no so good.

I bought my MXT400 in March/21 with the data cable and downloaded the programming software. The first time I was in programming mode, the radio was indeed already in wide band mode. I highly recommend getting the cable and download the software, it's well worth it.
Brian
WRKZ843
WB9VLW
This is what is so very confusing about the MXT400. It is not FCC certified for wideband operation.

If this software indicates anything whether narrow or wideband, 12.5 versus 25 KHz channel steps etc, . It really needs to be confirmed with a deviation meter and other measurements to confirm the radio is wideband. You could simply be toggling bits in the radio firmware that do nothing.

I don't believe these MXT400 radios are capable of wide band at all. If they are, Midland could potentially get hate mail from the FCC for releasing the software to modify a certified radio .

18 minutes ago, JLeikhim said:

They used to make some pretty good LMR gear. The early low band repeaters no so good.

To be specific, it's the p25 stuff, both UHF and vhf. They seem to come and go reasonably regularly, and they're apparently still approved for firefighters' use.

On 9/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, bobthetj03 said:

I'm done with Midland. There are many choices out there for a better radio, so my MXT275 is for sale. 

I think I'll be selling mine, too.  I just ordered a Wouxun KG-1000.  At least I can mount the big base under the seat in my Jeep and then have some flexibility on where to put the face plate.  I'd hold out for the 575, but I don't think it will be out in time for my next big trip.  

Quick question....If wide band is better, why did they ever make these radios narrow band? (I don't know the difference, really, but I know my MXT275 has trouble communicating with wideband radios.

2 hours ago, DanW said:

Quick question....If wide band is better, why did they ever make these radios narrow band? (I don't know the difference, really, but I know my MXT275 has trouble communicating with wideband radios.

Narrowbanding was mandated by the FCC to allow for increasing the number of frequency channels available.

The problem for GMRS users is that virtually all of the existing repeaters are using wideband "legacy" equipment.

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Narrowbanding was mandated by the FCC to allow for increasing the number of frequency channels available.

The problem for GMRS users is that virtually all of the existing repeaters are using wideband "legacy" equipment.

Narrowbanding was mandated for the VHF frequencies below 174 MHz.

Small tiny correction: narrowbanding was mandated by FCC for the commercial Part 90 radios. GMRS is still wide band. FRS was always narrow band. Midland took easy way, and decided that their offerings will be narrow band. There is some logic in this decision, if you take in account Midland's FRS offerings and desire to make the whole universe of Midland to be compatible with itself. Sure, they made it less compatible with wide band GMRS equimpment, but maybe it's their intent, to lock users in their universe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 4:42 AM, kb2ztx said:

When I talked to them at the last vendor show they indicated Q4 but guessing it will be Q1 of next year before the 500 is out. 

I heard similar about the 575 as well. I am really stoked for the compact factor of the 575, albeit a larger version of the 275. 

8 hours ago, gdeemer said:

... I expect them to be released soon.

Midland has not yet set a release date.  My sources indicate it will be at least a few more weeks.

The worst part of that means that I cant talk about it for at least a few more weeks!

5 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

For that price one can buy 8+ commercial mobile radios that have Part 95 certification and better audio.

And they will be wide-band, unlike Midlands. And with hundreds of programmable channels, unlike Midlands. Will not be new, though. It could be a stopper for some people.