Advice on an antenna

Jeepandy

• 2 weeks later...

I know I’m a little late with my suggestion but I have had good performance from the Nagoya NA-771C. Make sure it’s the model with the “C” as this stands for “commercial” band tuned antenna. Remember, GMRS is in the UHF commercial part of the band and in fact are previous commercial frequencies reassigned by the FCC for GMRS. You can also do a google search for “uhf commercial band antennas for handheld, portable, walkie talkie”.

Good luck with your search and whichever purchase you end up choosing.

A 4? Where did you get these antennas from?

If these antennas indeed had a 4:1 SWR, like you claim, all my XPR 6550s would've probably be blown long ago, and not have simplex radio-to-radio range of almost 3 miles, ground to ground ... I have a bunch of those in service, and these (and IF these are genuine Motorola) they should read around ~1.67 : 1 at ~462.6 Mhz...

You really need a better SWR meter, that sw33 thing is a dog... My choice is NanoVNA v2.0, with N connectors. Its not an HP/Agilent, etc, but at the cost, and size, is good enough to suit most light duty stuff.

G.

I have a Nagoya NA-771G half-wave and it has performed well for me so far

I have a TYT branded SW-102 meter and I tested the 771G on 5 radios, 2 Baofeng, 1 BTech, & 2 Alincos

SWR ran from 1.03 to 1.20 depending on which radio & which end of the band

I will order more when they're back in stock

I will order a NA-701G quarter-wave when they're available just to see how that one works vs the 771G

Anything shorter than a 1/4 wave will have reduced performance, so, the shorter it is, the worse will perform (not two ways about this)... but for UHF it will be less of an impact than for, say, VHF...  So there is a tradeoff, between carrying a 6 feet fishing pole that reaches 20 miles, and a 1 inch dummy load that reaches 100 yards... 

G.

I agree that the Nagoya 771G is a very good antenna.

The Wouxun 805G factory antenna is not bad but the Nagoya showed a clear improvement.

I have had very good results from Smiley telescoping antennas on my Ham radios.

Some of them are dual band and should not be fully extended for 440-460MHz.

You have to read the instructions carefully.

If you really want to "kill it" check out some of the Arrow brand beam antennas made for 440MHz ham band.

These are available from Ham Radio Outlet and have BNC connectors so you need adapters and a short cable.

I have not specifically tested the SWR but should be fine based on tests of other 440Mhz ham antennas I have.

These are take-down antennas that you would put together on site - such as at a remote location. 

They are large when assembled but transport pretty small like a "pack" fishing rod.

You would not walk around with one of these though... or you'd look like a real nerd if you did.

Vince