New Guy, Twin Falls Idaho

IdahoJohn

Hi All

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm John

If this is in the wrong place please forgive me and feel free to move my post to a better forum/Thread.

Been lurking and reading for a little while.

I've picked up a GMRS radio and License to go in my Jeep for exploring the High Desert with friends as most are

moving away from the old trusty CBs.

I've been testing the set up in my DD and like it fine. In fact I am thinking of keeping it in the daily,

adding one to the wife's car and a third for the Jeep.

I see there is a repeater in the Mountain Home area near me I could hit at times when out exploring

if I can get permission.

Just wondering if there are any others in the Twin Falls area and the best way to find them.

Also Anybody here in my area?

Welcome aboard John.

There are repeaters near Idaho Falls and one near Rexburg, and if you're traveling through Elko, there are a couple here (select "Outdated" on the Map) that are open and active.  I have the Rexburg programmed into my mobile and HT but have yet to use it.  I travel through there at least annually.  

Doing the high desert thing here also.  Have a Kenwood mobile in my SxS and going to install one in my Jeep soon (for now use HT).  I've hit the Elko/SC 625 from near the Idaho border and Wildhorse at 7000' elevation.  

Trying to get our off-road group to adopt GMRS so we can all use the repeaters (already have permission); just have to encourage all the members to license up.  For now, there is little to no traffic on these local repeaters so I usually don't bother to monitor.

I am the owner of the repeater in Mountain Home.  Unfortunately, it has been offline for a while.  I used to have an elevated site that would possibly reach out to Twin.  I also have a 220 MHz amateur repeater that was on the hill and I had regular contacts with hams in Twin on that machine.  Unfortunately, amateur radio politics ended up pissing off county officials and they kicked me off the site.  I'm working on getting access again but it's a slow process when you are trying to work with folks who are ignorant of all things RF. 

I found that there are repeaters in Caldwell and Kuna that are on the same frequency that I selected so I will be changing the frequency when I put it back on the air.  I am moving it from 550 to 675.  Once I have it back on the air, I hope that everyone in southern Idaho uses it.  It troubles me to spend a ton of time, money, and effort on a machine just to hear it sit idle with no traffic.  I have close to $4000 in my 220 machine and it gets used for less than ten minutes a week I'd say.  Sad.

I am the owner of the repeater in Mountain Home.  Unfortunately, it has been offline for a while.  I used to have an elevated site that would possibly reach out to Twin.  I also have a 220 MHz amateur repeater that was on the hill and I had regular contacts with hams in Twin on that machine.  Unfortunately, amateur radio politics ended up pissing off county officials and they kicked me off the site.  I'm working on getting access again but it's a slow process when you are trying to work with folks who are ignorant of all things RF. 

I found that there are repeaters in Caldwell and Kuna that are on the same frequency that I selected so I will be changing the frequency when I put it back on the air.  I am moving it from 550 to 675.  Once I have it back on the air, I hope that everyone in southern Idaho uses it.  It troubles me to spend a ton of time, money, and effort on a machine just to hear it sit idle with no traffic.  I have close to $4000 in my 220 machine and it gets used for less than ten minutes a week I'd say.  Sad.

Good luck to you, sir.

ctrout,

Is that your repeater back online in the Weekly report today (675)?   Does it ID when it's brought up?  If/when I come thru there, or get anywhere near at elevation, I'll hit it up.

Ah, I hope you are able to get the repeater back in service, I have family in Boise and explore the desert between Twin and Boise

so it will be useful to have working.

So far from the top of some buttes I have reached out about 20 mi simplex, range is less from lower locations.

• 4 weeks later...

I am working to get my machine back up and running sometime in the next week or two.  I had an antenna that would have worked just fine at over 1000 feet above average terrain.  The problem is that I have no real gain to get out from the repeater's current low level.  I guess I'll just have to see how well it gets out once I get it back on the air, hopefully this weekend or next.

Since you don't have repeaters you may want to see about getting better antennas for your vehicles.

I like the NMO connectors that you can permanently mount in the center of the roof.

The antenna is easily removable or changeable.

All of my Ham 70cm/440 antennas seem to match OK on my GMRS radio.

So I just use my ham antennas for the car.

The Ham guys have a few repeaters in your area in ID Falls and Iona, Roberts and Menan buttes.

So maybe you'll want to try getting a ham license.

I have GMRS because my wife is not a ham..... yet.

Also fishing buddies etc. can use FRS.

You just can't have too many radios.

Vince

Since you don't have repeaters you may want to see about getting better antennas for your vehicles.

I like the NMO connectors that you can permanently mount in the center of the roof.

The antenna is easily removable or changeable.

All of my Ham 70cm/440 antennas seem to match OK on my GMRS radio.

So I just use my ham antennas for the car.

The Ham guys have a few repeaters in your area in ID Falls and Iona, Roberts and Menan buttes.

So maybe you'll want to try getting a ham license.

I have GMRS because my wife is not a ham..... yet.

Also fishing buddies etc. can use FRS.

You just can't have too many radios.

Vince

Update,

I have upgraded antennas,

So we have been testing the radios in our vehicles ( We added another in the wife's DD) and I am very

happy. we can connect across all the valley here over 13 mi  across the downtown area.

Our next step will be a spot to set  up a radio in the house with an outdoor antenna to have a 

neighborhood watch with our like minded neighbors.

I feel I'm starting to slide down the slippery slope and end up with Ham.... LOL

I am the owner of the repeater in Mountain Home. Unfortunately, it has been offline for a while. I used to have an elevated site that would possibly reach out to Twin. I also have a 220 MHz amateur repeater that was on the hill and I had regular contacts with hams in Twin on that machine. Unfortunately, amateur radio politics ended up pissing off county officials and they kicked me off the site. I'm working on getting access again but it's a slow process when you are trying to work with folks who are ignorant of all things RF.

I found that there are repeaters in Caldwell and Kuna that are on the same frequency that I selected so I will be changing the frequency when I put it back on the air. I am moving it from 550 to 675. Once I have it back on the air, I hope that everyone in southern Idaho uses it. It troubles me to spend a ton of time, money, and effort on a machine just to hear it sit idle with no traffic. I have close to $4000 in my 220 machine and it gets used for less than ten minutes a week I'd say. Sad.

Ooops

I’m the owner of a couple machines in Idaho falls, and west Yellowstone,

I also have a 220 ham machine set up on one of the mountaintops,

Id like to see about helping out in twin... maybe linking sone machines up for a bigger foot print, both gmrs and ham 220.

That would be great, and very generous of you!

There is a GMRS repeater I have found in the area on .625 that may be useful for you, it is open, and I can't find

any information.   It may be on one of the dairies possibly west of Twin in the valley here, but it is very weak.

I believe the local HAM club has an active repeater, but not sure.