GMRS Repeater vs Non GMRS Repeater

Hudson1

Hello all,

New to the GMRS world. I'm excited to get started. I tried to comb the these forums for an answer but didn't really feel like I found anything.

So I'm getting the Wouxun KG-805G. I know that it can link to a repeater. My question is can a GMRS radio link to any repeater or does the description or the configuration of the repeater have to be a "GMRS Repeater"?

I found GMRS repeaters vs non GMRS repeaters at the website Repeaterbook.com.

Thanks for the time!

Repeaterbook covers ham repeaters and (afaik) recently started listing gmrs repeaters.

It's going to come down to configuration as to the difference between the two, mainly the frequencies they operate on. The non gmrs ones will be on frequencies your wouxun will not transmit on, though if they're uhf, you may still be able to receive. The wouxun will only allow transmitting on gmrs frequencies.

First welcome to the newbie club... I started in Nov and these guys are so good and friendly to help....

Correction... I have two KG-805G and I can still take advantage of talking to the cheap FRS campground walkie talkies... no license required... kids walkie talkie.   

If you do not have your call signs, go get your license for GMRS (no test, just be legal) the fee today at $70 for 10 years will go down to $35 for 10 years... I guess this will happen in 30 to 60 days as rule change was approved and awaiting public comment to make it happen and change the FCC website. 

Start here:

You will want to pick a GMRS license this is what to look for: Radio Service Code: ZA

Hope this helps.  Let me know how we can help you on this learning your trip, e.g. how to get repeater permission... check out some of the many post.  FYI it takes myGRMS 2-3 days to valid your call sign to be a member.
Jack

Hello Jack!

Thank you for the response! I have my official FCC GMRS license call sign. Got it a few days ago. My radios should be coming today or tomorrow. I’m going humble now...

I have an electrical engineering degree but I am lost with how to latch onto a GMRS repeater or how to use the radio features properly. I think I found a repeater near me that may work.

Also, FYI, I scheduled an exam session to get my Technician license just to learn more.

Is there a better way to message you and your colleagues here when I get my radios for a quick lesson? Like a live chat or something similar?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

OK Hudson1 did you get your radio?  What did you get?  I have not heard back from you sine your Jan 28 contact with me....  I'm following up to make sure you are doing well.

The best way is to ask questions on forum and if you want a private conversation do Personal Message between two parties.  

Keep in touch.

Jack

P.S.  I will be installing my family repeater thiis weekend...

With the 805G go to menu item 19 and change the display so the frequency is displayed large and the channel number (or memory slot) will display as a smaller number on the right.

Repeaters always list Freq rather than channel numbers so you kind of have see the Freq rather than channel.

You will usually have to set the T CTC (menu 13) squelch tone as listed for that repeater.

The R CTC (menu 12) is usually not required and can be left off.

Of course ham repeaters like 2M and 70cm (or 440MHz) are only for licensed hams and legal ham radios.

You will find that a 70cm ham antenna can probably be shared with you GMRS radio. 

If you have a dual band 2M/70cm ham radio there are many more repeaters available than for GMRS.

Some ham repeaters are pretty active and others are really deads-ville.

Some repeater owners strongly encourage you to "join" or send money and others not so much.

Sometimes it's pretty hard to get a reply on a ham repeater.

Either nobody is listening or they just want to talk to their buddies.

If you join their club of course you're in.

You said you have an electronics engineering degree....

In this case you will find the Novice ham test is the hardest and the more advanced level tests are the easiest.

This is because the more advanced tests cover things you learned in engineering school.

I went from technician license to Extra Class in a month... and that's when we still had the code requirement.

The reason I have GMRS as well as ham is that outdoors people are not often hams.

My wife and my fishing buddies are not hams.  So GMRS is more practical for those things.

Vince