Legal radio

Chris129

Question

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

I think this would be a better example of fcc jumping in after the fact (link to the fcc enforcement proceeding is in the first post in the linked thread):

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/rugged-radios-finally-gets-an-fcc-smack-down.417060/

With all due respect, I am not reading 7 pages of posts about what appears to be another example not on point.

But remember the aphorism: "Possession is 9/10s of the law!"

I bought my AT-779UV and use it as provided by Anytone's software.

I am licensed for both Ham and GMRS.

I use my AT-779UV within the specifications of proper Ham and GMRS usage.

If those of you who applaud an interpretation that harms the end user and only helps the manufacturers (requirement to buy a 2nd radio), want to continue to do so; so be it.

That's YOUR choice!

My belief is that the FCC sees no harm nor foul in this situation.

If my belief subsequently turns out to be wrong, I will stop using my AT-779UV for transmission on the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands.

If your belief subsequently turns out to be wrong, the manufacturers will present you with an award suitable for framing! ?

41 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

With all due respect, I am not reading 7 pages of posts about what appears to be another example not on point.

Yeah, like most forums, the point does tend to wander after the initial couple posts or so.  I think the first posts and the linked FCC doc provide the gist of the info to be had there, which is pretty much just an example of FCC actually taking some action on unapproved radios sold under another authorization, and a "manufacturer" selling radios programmed to operate outside the limitations they were approved under.  Not an exact fit, since it was a manufacture provided setting rather than an end user change, and not any kind of "proof" that your position is incorrect, just a little more perspective.

Nice summary; so explain to me your thinking about why should GMRS certified radios be prohibited from transmitting on the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands (other than to engender more business for the radio manufacturers).

We're talking here no other modifications: the AnyTone AT-779UV continues to transmit on GMRS within the required FCC Part 95 specs, and of course the transmission on these Ham bands are within the Part 97 specs as well.

I will posit this: it is much safer driving with only one radio to pay attention to; instead of two or more!

6 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

We're talking here no other modifications: the AnyTone AT-779UV continues to transmit on GMRS within the required FCC Part 95 specs, and of course the transmission on these Ham bands are within the Part 97 specs as well.

This is nearly the same argument made by advocates for using Part 90 only certified radios on GMRS. The core of that position is the spec's are the same or better on the Part 90 radios compared to Part 95. The only different is the paperwork that says they're OK. So far the FCC hasn't formally moved in that direction yet either.

7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Nice summary; so explain to me your thinking about why should GMRS certified radios be prohibited from transmitting on the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands (other than to engender more business for the radio manufacturers).

I will posit this: it is much safer driving with only one radio to pay attention to; instead of two or more!

Personally, I have a strong suspicion one big driving force is 'protecting the untested gmrs users from their own ignorance', with no though or knowledge that maybe some of those gmrs users are also licensed hams with a clue.  I see both sides on that 779uv... the fcc wanting to keep the gmrs users in bounds without needing to know what they're doing, but I also see the dual licensed user wanting both services, and the only real point it doesn't meet unlocked is that rule about not being able to access services that don't require certification (ham)...with that in mind, I don't see the big issue for someone licensed in both services, as I agree the signal it puts out in gmrs bands is no different unlocked, but I'm also not the fcc.

FCC has long left the part 90 issue as a grey area. Some people insist that those previously dual certified (90/95a) radios are now uncertified because they can access 70cm, though the actual wording in the regs just got amended to state they won't currently certify them, not that previous certifications are invalidated (and the 95e/90 door seems to still be open, on 450-512 splits, anyway, though most public safety has moved out of 70cm). Others opine that pushing past the 'out of band' warning in Kenwood software to use a dual cert radio in ham bands qualifies as a modification that negates the 95 certification.  Lots of opinions, but grey areas in the regs. 

Overall, I'll do my best to encourage people to stick to the rules as they stand, as best I can understand them and be open to learning if I've misunderstood them. Past that, we all make our on choices on how much we're willing to push the lines.

Thus far no one's even mentioned the elephant in the room: repeaters!

The vast majority of GMRS repeaters are using transmitters that are not Part 95 certified... <plonk>

As far as I can determine, the only GMRS repeaters that are Part 95 compliant are those that are "home-built" using at least a certificated transmitter.

N9GIX / WQWU626

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Thus far no one's even mentioned the elephant in the room: repeaters!

The vast majority of GMRS repeaters are using transmitters that are not Part 95 certified... <plonk>

As far as I can determine, the only GMRS repeaters that are Part 95 compliant are those that are "home-built" using at least a certificated transmitter.

N9GIX / WQWU626

I think there are a few older Kenwood repeaters that have Part 95 acceptance, but I don't remember model number or FCC ID. Other than that, you are right. The only current type accepted repeater available is the Revitis, but the power is extremely low.

EDIT: TKR-820 FCCID:ALH9TKTKR-820-1