Musing on equipment choices...

wayoverthere

4 hours ago, Lscott said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with the permissions when it installs? I have it loaded an an 8 core AMD Ryzen laptop running Windows 10 home edition just fine.

On the laptop (basic Intel i3, 64 bit Win10), I did the both the CPS install and the Drivers install under an administrator account, and tried running the CPS both normally and as admin...got Error 1646 both ways. 

The other computer is a Intel compute stick, with 32bit Win10; that one loads the CPS, and Windows is seeing the radio (I did the 'uncheck the boxes' in the network settings indicated in Motorola's instructions), but gives me a message to check the cable when I try to read from the 6580. 

On the radio side, it does give me a message about 'IMPRES accessory connected' but I don't know if that says anything good and bad for the cable (which is from bluemax49ers).  Going to try the 6550 later today if I get a chance, and see if I get the same message.

15 minutes ago, gman1971 said:

I would assume the USB drivers for the radio got installed?

Yep, as admin.

4 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

On the laptop (basic Intel i3, 64 bit Win10), I did the both the CPS install and the Drivers install under an administrator account, and tried running the CPS both normally and as admin...got Error 1646 both ways. 

The other computer is a Intel compute stick, with 32bit Win10; that one loads the CPS, and Windows is seeing the radio (I did the 'uncheck the boxes' in the network settings indicated in Motorola's instructions), but gives me a message to check the cable when I try to read from the 6580. 

On the radio side, it does give me a message about 'IMPRES accessory connected' but I don't know if that says anything good and bad for the cable (which is from bluemax49ers).  Going to try the 6550 later today if I get a chance, and see if I get the same message.

Yep, as admin.

Check the pins, and rub all the dirt off the contacts on the radio side.cn

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, tweiss3 said:

Check the pins, and rub all the dirt off the contacts on the radio side.cn

did what i could with a piece of cloth...no luck so far. did a full uninstall/reinstall...no go on either of the XPRs. even broke down and picked up an oem Moto cable...same message.

unrelated to the moto challenges, I picked up a Diamond NR72b, on the ongoing hunt for something less compromised but still short enough to clear the garage at work...tram1181 is just an inch or so long, and the Comet SBB1 I usually run leaves me wanting for a little more signal.

While great in 70cm (1.02:1), and pretty decent in GMRS (1.25-1.3:1), the NR72b is showing surprisingly bad swr on 2m (3.2 on the browning/rg8x mount, and 2.7 on the midland mount, both at 146.550), while a variety of other antennas have been 1.3 or better on these mounts and placement (at least within their tuned band). 

I think I need to either drag out the VNA, or test some more around 2m to see if it's a tuning issue, play with mounting location (lead into the next bit...), and rule out being overly sensitive to the led dome/cargo lights)...because where it gets weird is when i tested it indoors on the 8"x12" sheet metal/mag mount i use for gmrs  (and also for testing, since it's the easiest to grab), it showed the same numbers in GMRS, and 1.01:1 on 2m ?

On 6/20/2022 at 1:13 PM, wayoverthere said:

Have you tried running the software in "compatibility mode"

image.png.8f5a1e027860cc24e1243b30cd3770d0.png

(Not that the MD390 needs it on my Win10 Pro core-i7 system)