Rhodeisland

Blackmar401

Nope. I'm in Westerly, and the closest one to me that I can hit is in New London, and I've requested permission twice so far with no response. All the other one's are out of range for me. There's another one on Long Island I can hear sometimes, but it's another one you need permission to use, and I don't think it's even there anymore, as I didn't see it on the list, and the last time I heard it someone was clunking it about 2 months ago...

Right, because that's what GMRS is: a scanner town crier! Seriously, I wish that the scanner fans would do what the PCFN has done & get Part 90 licenses & talk over there.

That would be the Kingston 600 repeater. That person is usually broadcasting what is said on the police scanner during various situations. 

What is repeater 17? I didn’t know that they are numbered. Or, do you mean “channel” 17, which is pointless because not all radios follow the same pattern. What frequency are you talking about?!

not all gmrs radios have the same channels? That's new to me. I know repeater chanel 17 on my midland is the same frequency as the one in my btech. Considering they use the same frequency you would think the repeater channel using the simplex 17 frequency would be called repeater 17? Or does your radio have channels that mine doesnt?

not all gmrs radios have the same channels? That's new to me. I know repeater chanel 17 on my midland is the same frequency as the one in my btech. Considering they use the same frequency you would think the repeater channel using the simplex 17 frequency would be called repeater 17? Or does your radio have channels that mine doesnt?

My Icom IC-F21GM from 2004 has GMRS in what I think of as their natural channel assignments, whereas most radios now follow an FRS-centric numbering pattern. For instance, if your “17” is 462.6MHz, that shows up on 3 on my IC-F21GM. The high-powered GMRS frequencies are first, then come the 7 lower-powered (5w max) follow. So, if your “4” is 462.6375MHz (which, to me, should be akin to CB19 as it is the middle frequency on the band), that would show up as “12” on my ’GM. Plus, that radio has a button to switch the repeater channels to simplex mode whereas on a midland, the repeater channels come after the simplex channels (15 vs. 15RP, for example). This is why the frequency makes more sense to use, & I wish displays would give the frequency instead of the channel.

I have another radio that is a commercial radio that has everything mixed together, so “600” (462.6 MHz) may precede a repeater on “550” (462.55 MHz). I’ll usually label it by city: “600” becomes “Kingston”, and “700” becomes “Plymouth”. Anyway, the FRS-centric channel numbering is confusing because it is non-intuitive, unless you’re using a strictly FRS radio.

IC-F21GM channeling:

1: 462.55+

2: 462.575+

3: 462.6+

4: 462.625+

5: 462.65+

6: 462.675+

7: 462.7+

8: 462.725+

9: 462.5625

10: 462.5875

11: 462.6125

12: 462.6375

13: 462.6625

14: 462.6875

15: 462.7125

16: scan.

• 2 weeks later...

Kaos, which New London machine are you getting? I'm also in Westerly. I can get the New Britain machine and Stateline 700.

And which Long Island machine?

I can hit a couple 2m and 70cm repeaters on LI.

Actually I stand corrected, as I'm currently hearing and hitting the BTG650 Repeater out on Long Island in Selden, and as for the New London rig, I've sent numerous requests for the PL's for that one, and haven't heard anything back from him. Westerly huh? I'm always scanning the channels, scaring kids with their walkies off and listening to Johnnycake on Ch.22 GMRS usually. Yeah haven't heard anything GMRS other than local simplex, and for some reason BTG650's bombin' into Westerly tonight...don't hear much repeater action since the BTG675 went down...but yeah Selden as the crow flies has got to be around 75 miles away or so...

• 8 months later...

Hi all

i hope that I’m not off topic but since it is listed as “Rhode Island”, it seems pretty general. 

I’m in RI. I just installed a base station with an antenna in my attic BUT it’s not getting enough signal to hit any of the very few repeaters listed. 

So, I need to go to plan B which is to get the antenna up and outside. I’m looking for a good antenna installer that can give me some guidance and do a proper install. 

Does anyone know of such a company in this area or a source of where to look?  Doing a search on the topic brings back very few results and most of those are TV installs. Jeez. People are using radios. You’d think that someone would be installing antennas. 
?

Thank you 

Mike

Thank you for the reply.  

Since this morning, I was able to make contact with a HAM operator who works for a radio communications service. He’s going to swing by Monday and check things out and then help me with a setup that will get me out and up.

I’ll report back. 

I would really like to help build up GMRS in the area. If I can get up and out successfully then I may look at setting up a repeater in the future. There is just too much of a gap in RI. 

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do in the long run, but I have to learn to crawl before thinking about running.  I'm hoping this new acquaintance can help me maximize coverage here, and then I'll start thinking about coverage expansion because it is certainly needed here in RI.

4 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Try any radio dealer. There should be several within a 100 mile radius selling commercial and public safety radios.

The sad part is that there aren’t any in the area any more. The only electronics brick and mortar store left in this area is Best Buy and not my favorite. Everything else is mail order. A friend and I are going to go two states away to NH to check out a HAM store. 

Mail order is good but I miss the days when you could go into a store, get advice, touch, listen and feel before buying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 7:34 AM, BoxCar said:

Look at Cyber Communications in Warwick for one.

I found a guy.  He helped me out yesterday.  I'm out and up outta the attic and making some real progress, but still not hitting any RI repeaters.  ...that I know of.  That means either they are just blocked from my LOS or nobody's on there to make a connection or they're not powerful enough to make the trip.