Baofeng UV-5X GMRS

haneysa

3 hours ago, jlwilkers said:

Cannot set pl tone from front panel. Cannot set hi/low power from front panel. Cannot select wide/narrow (although this one isn't important) from the front panel.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Do you mean to change PL tone and/or High/Low power from the front panel (keyboard, yes?) to existing Channels in memory or otherwise?

7 hours ago, jlwilkers said:

Cannot set pl tone from front panel. Cannot set hi/low power from front panel. Cannot select wide/narrow (although this one isn't important) from the front panel.

Here are the steps to set these particular options from the radio's keypad:

Select the channel you wish to change the options for.

Press MENU, then 2, to get to TXP (Transmit Power) option. Press MENU again to change the setting, then up/down arrow to select High or Low as preferred, then press MENU again to save, and finally, press EXIT to exit the menu.

For selecting Wide or Narrow, use the steps above, except pressing MENU then 5 (instead of 2) to access the WN (Wide/Narrow) function.

For PL tones, follow the steps above, but using the following menu options:

10 for R-DCS (to set the receive DCS code)

11 for R-CTCS (to set the receive CTCSS tone)

12 for T-DCS (to set the transmit DCS code)

13 for T-CTCS (to set the transmit CTCSS tone)

To summarize, regardless of which option you wish to program, the basic steps are:

Select the channel to be changed and tune the radio to it.

Press MENU (to enter programming menu)

Press option number (or use up/down arrows to select the correct option)

Press MENU again (to change selected option)

Use Up/Down arrows to select preferred value

Press MENU again (to save)

Press EXIT (to exit programming menu)

The step I miss most often is the third press of the MENU button. I have pressed EXIT at this step more times than I care to admit, and when I do that, my selection is not saved.

If you are following all the steps above and still having problems making the changes on your radio, it would most likely be due to having an early version of the firmware installed on the radio.

I hope this helps.

22 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

The step I miss most often is the third press of the MENU button. I have pressed EXIT at this step more times than I care to admit, and when I do that, my selection is not saved.

you're not alone on missing that last MENU press to commit the entry...i've done the same maaaaany times with my uv5r's that mostly get used as scanners ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Here are the steps to set these particular options from the radio's keypad:

If you are following all the steps above and still having problems making the changes on your radio, it would most likely be due to having an early version of the firmware installed on the radio.

4 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

you're not alone on missing that last MENU press to commit the entry...i've done the same maaaaany times with my uv5r's that mostly get used as scanners ?‍♂️

Here is where I am at a loss, not having an actual UV-5X to program and why @jlwilkers is frustrated and asking the question about downloading a firmware update.

The UV-5R is notoriously unable to make any change to a PL on an already memorized channel. You must first delete the channel #, go to VFO, create the new channel with the different PL and then memorize this new channel into the old channel #.

BTECH recently released their version of the Tri-Band Baofeng, the UV-5x3 which finally allows for these changes to already memorized channels (I have the older Radioddity version, called the UV-5Rx3, which still has this problem):

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.25.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.25.10 AM.png

So, if the solution is to "update" the firmware, then @jlwilkers is indeed correct in needing to find a download of, and a tool to install, this updated firmware and we must help him find it!

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.25.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 3.25.10 AM.png

So, if the solution is to "update" the firmware, then @jlwilkers is indeed correct in needing to find a download of, and a tool to install, this updated firmware and we must help him find it!

There's a difference between the original UV-5X, the UV-5X3, and the UV-5X GMRS (also called UV-5G) radios.

The UV-5X3 is a tri-band model and comes with the newer firmware than earlier variants of the UV-5R series.

The older (non-GMRS) UV-5X model is essentially a UV-5R in a slightly different housing.

The UV-5X GMRS (and UV-5G) model is the only variant of the UV-5R series that I'm aware of that has firmware that can be updated.

The original firmware on the UV-5X GMRS models was poorly implemented. It prevented users from changing parameters that they often had a need or desire to change, including things like CTCSS tones. Thankfully, with upgraded firmware, the radios function as they should, and allow the addition of custom repeater channels >30 which did not work with the older firmware.

The updated firmware and the tools to install it can be downloaded from Radioddity.

Here is a link to the download page:

https://www.radioddity.com/pages/baofeng-download

I remember seeing a "how-to" for upgrading the firmware, and didn't find it when I looked for it, so you might need to reach out to Radioddity to have them send it to you.

2 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

The updated firmware and the tools to install it can be downloaded from Radioddity.

Here is a link to the download page:

https://www.radioddity.com/pages/baofeng-download

I remember seeing a "how-to" for upgrading the firmware, and didn't find it when I looked for it, so you might need to reach out to Radioddity to have them send it to you.

Unfortunately, for me, that link only gets me a "setup.exe" file like it did last time, which only installs a CPS programming program and does not include any updated firmware.

I guess we have come to a dead end for @jlwilkers and perhaps he can reach out to Radioddity, or wherever he purchased his UV-5X from, to obtain the updated firmware (and perhaps post it here when he obtains it).

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 8.45.46 AM.png

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Unfortunately, for me, that link only gets me a "setup.exe" file like it did last time, which only installs a CPS programming program and does not include any updated firmware.

I know I found the firmware update on their site in the past, but like you, I only saw the setup file this time. Perhaps an email to them would result in them sending the file?

23 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

I know I found the firmware update on their site in the past, but like you, I only saw the setup file this time. Perhaps an email to them would result in them sending the file?

Perhaps, indeed!

I read through the Question and Answers section on Amazon about this rig and indeed, Radioddity kept responding to users who needed a firmware update to email them (without posting an email address - hahaha).

Having communicated with Radioddity on past products I have purchased from them, I wrote them last night and in the wee hours of the morning, Nora replied:

Hey Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to Radioddity Support! I am Nora, and I'd be happy to assist you with this.

I am sorry to the current version of the UV-5X is unable to make tone or power setting changes or wide/narrow settings from the keyboard since technical limitations of the chip and software, the UV-5G currently locks out the power. But I can certainly let our engineers know that this is an issue that needs to be addressed in future updates.

Besides, I attached the file to the updated firmware for the UV-5X, you could refer to it to check and download.

Many thanks for your kind understanding of the issue.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions, we are always here to help!

Cheers,
Nora
Radioddity Support Team

I responded to her on my inability to use P51 CPS programming software to update this firmware, because the program will only open XML files and this file has a KDH extension.

During the interim, here is the firmware file and maybe someone else can figure out how to install it:

UV-5X_P51UV_M51_V01_210427.kdh

On 10/5/2021 at 7:32 PM, jlwilkers said:

The updated software *still* doesn't correct all the issues.

I need the *firmware*

See the firmware in the post above and let us know if you can figure out how to install it!

Not a very satisfying result from my further inquiries to Radioddity Support.

Radioddity's first response to my request for a firmware installation tool:

Hi Michael,

Here are the instructions to do the firmware update, you could refer to them for reference.

Download, Extract and Open the UV-5X Firmware Update Folder

image-5ad24963-8dc4-4e88-9e62-d93e2b24c54b.png

Open the BF_Download APP

image-54e277ad-b9fc-4ab6-8619-79e48b957a4a.png

image-69985f59-49bb-49ff-b69a-269d5b8a5fdf.png

Open Device Manager to determine com port number and select it using the highlighted field in the Downloader App

image-c2bbe73d-ae8d-457b-a29a-3bdd60b17da3.png

1. Plug the programming cable into the computer and radio.
2. Press and hold the MONI + CALL key, then turn the radio on. The screen should show a wide block in the middle
3. Click Download in the Downloader app, and wait for 100%.
4. Turn the radio off, remove the programming cable
5. Turn the radio back on and select Menu Option 40 and follow through to Reset the radio.

The CTCSS/DCS Tones should now be cleared and the Bandwidth corrected.

I hope it is helpful for you.

Cheers,
Nora
Radioddity Support Team

When I responded: 

Where do I obtain or download the UV-5X Firmware Update folder and BF_Download APP?

The following was received by me early this morning:

Michael,

We got the updated news that the firmware update for the UV-5X is not available now, the radio itself now features the firmware is the latest. Many thanks for your kind understanding of the issue.

Please feel free to keep an eye on the official website to get more information about the radio, we will update it on the website once it is available. Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Nora
Radioddity Support Team

On 9/29/2021 at 12:17 AM, MichaelLAX said:

Just for giggles, and in the true "hacker" tradition, I went to that link and downloaded the "programming software" for the UV-5X (setup.exe) even though I do not own the UV-5X:

It installs as PRG-P51UV-FCC-V1.0 and when you run it, it allows you to make those changes that the so-called "firmware upgrade" fixed, such as Wide vs Narrow, change CTCSS tones, etc.

Try it; I think you will like it!

It doesn't allow a high/low power adjustment though

2 hours ago, jlwilkers said:

I got that....halfway there... now need the firmware installation tool.

Did you buy it from Radioddity?

Since the responded to me failing to provide an update tool:

If so, contact them ans see if they will swap it for one with the updated firmware 

Did you buy it from Radioddity?
Since the responded to me failing to provide an update tool:

If so, contact them ans see if they will swap it for one with the updated firmware 
Got it from the Tidradio people on Amazon. They are clueless on firmware. They've since taken them off Amazon, due to rather scathing reviews.

9 minutes ago, jlwilkers said:

Got it from the Tidradio people on Amazon. They are clueless on firmware. They've since taken them off Amazon, due to rather scathing reviews.

Check out the private message from Wy0Joe

6 hours ago, jlwilkers said:

It's in my mailbox. I'll check it out when I get home from work. Thanks!

Here is the latest reply from Nora at Radioddity offering you a $10 refund; respond to the email address that I send you by PM:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021, at 03:46 AM, Radioddity Online_Store <xxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote:
Michael,
But the current stocks of the UV-5X are in the same firmware version, the firmware update is not available temporarily, which means it is unable to do the power setting changes from the keyboard. But I can certainly let our engineers know that this is an issue that needs to be addressed in future updates. Thanks for your kind understanding of the issue.
In this case, we kindly ask for confirmation if the radio your friend owned could work normally? If so, we would be happy to process the refund of $10 as compensation for the imperfect power setting issue. May I know if it is acceptable?
I appreciate your quick reply.

She sent me a reminder email today looking for a reply.

7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Here is the latest reply from Nora at Radioddity offering you a $10 refund; respond to the email address that I send you by PM:

She sent me a reminder email today looking for a reply.

I actually got the radio from the Tidradio folks.  Got it for free, so I'm not out anything.  Didn't get it from Radiooddity.

On 5/10/2021 at 5:56 PM, Groundhog said:

It is not FCC listed as compliant. The search for the FCC ID comes up with nothing. It may be part 95e compliant but the FCC hasn’t confirmed that yet.

edit: here is the link

https://fccid.io/?fbclid=IwAR0ZuIzH5AWVAmnDG1FE31R7byVAKrs6s_f06NAjMBe_9AjUufvXLzNdM7A

It IS FCC Part 95E compliant:  https://fccid.io/2AJGM-P51UV

14 hours ago, SteveW said:

It IS FCC Part 95E compliant:  https://fccid.io/2AJGM-P51UV

Not from what I see at that link. While the top section might show Part 95E but scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see it's ONLY certified as Part 15B. That last part is they only thing that counts, the grant the FCC issues to the manufacture.

This looks like the certification for Ham equipment, which typically only gets Part 15. Likely they applied for Part 95E, top of web page, but haven't received it as yet.

This link shows what you should see. It's for one of the favorite commercial radios people buy for GMRS. These are really nice radios for GMRS by the way, built like a brick, fairly light and fit in a shirt pocket. I have a few.

https://fccid.io/ALH34713110

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-2170_3170.pdf

If you look at the brochure's last page near the bottom left area the FCC ID's for the different models are conveniently listed.

If you look at the bottom of the page for the issued grant you'll see it has Part 95A, which at the time was the section for GMRS until the FCC revamped the rules a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

Not from what I see at that link. While the top section might show Part 95E but scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see it's ONLY certified as Part 15B. That last part is they only thing that counts, the grant the FCC issues to the manufacture.

I ran the authorization number on that @SteveWpprovided through FCC and it appears to show it's 95e certified...Am I misreading this?

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&tcb_code=&application_id=pP6r2RsPtcaptv0L45it7w%3D%3D&fcc_id=2AJGM-P51UV

36 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I ran the authorization number on that @SteveWpprovided through FCC and it appears to show it's 95e certified...Am I misreading this?

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&tcb_code=&application_id=pP6r2RsPtcaptv0L45it7w%3D%3D&fcc_id=2AJGM-P51UV

Nope. You had better luck than me. When I checked it didn't find anything. Yeah it looks like its certified for GMRS.