Baofeng UV-5X GMRS

haneysa

I just order my first (well, second) GMRS radios. A pair of Baofeng UV-5X GMRS radios. I am trying to find out if the firmware version on the radios is the latest, or is fairly usable. That is, it doesn't have the bugs that came with the first version of firmware such as pre-programmed privacy tones on each channel, etc.

The radio identifies as a Radioddity UV-5G using the CHIRP software for Linux (Ubuntu).

The radio looks exactly like a UV-5R, but the little label on the bottom says "UV-5X"

By pressing #3 on the keypad and turning the radio on, the firmware version is displayed. "P51UV01". Does anyone know if Baofeng or Radioddity publish release notes and firmware versions on their websites for the UV-5X or UV-5G. I have not been able to locate any more detailed info other than their programming software (for Windows) and manuals.

26 minutes ago, mrevilfx said:

I just order my first (well, second) GMRS radios. A pair of Baofeng UV-5X GMRS radios. I am trying to find out if the firmware version on the radios is the latest, or is fairly usable. That is, it doesn't have the bugs that came with the first version of firmware such as pre-programmed privacy tones on each channel, etc.

The radio identifies as a Radioddity UV-5G using the CHIRP software for Linux (Ubuntu).

The radio looks exactly like a UV-5R, but the little label on the bottom says "UV-5X"

By pressing #3 on the keypad and turning the radio on, the firmware version is displayed. "P51UV01". Does anyone know if Baofeng or Radioddity publish release notes and firmware versions on their websites for the UV-5X or UV-5G. I have not been able to locate any more detailed info other than their programming software (for Windows) and manuals.

If they come without any Tones preprogramed into the Channels and you can program tones from the keypad, you have the latest firmware 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, mrevilfx said:

The ones I have came with the old firmware and I updated them when the new firmware update was provided. When I turn them on as described, I also see P51UV01 on the display. I don't know what it showed originally.