New GMRS HT Released - Wouxun KG-905G

mbrun

Ordered mine on 3/24. Still not received. I wonder what would happen if they got a huge bunch of cancellations.

Hmm, sounds like they're waiting on one big shipment to arrive.  Hopefully that shipment will be big enough to fulfill all their backorders.  BTWR seems to have a bunch of their Wouxun radios backordered, especially the GMRS ones. 

I'm also considering cancelling.  Or at least switch from the 905g to an 805g.  They seem to be better at keeping those in stock. 

I have two 805G and a 905G pre Chinese new year shutdown for holiday.  If you are a power user.... wait for the 905G.  Otherwise name your price and will send you a new 805G in the box as I use a 905G for the group scan, plus going for Ham Ticket and looking at the KG-UV8H...  O I'm keeping one 805G for family use and keeping my 905G...  This offer is for anyone who wants to buy my 805G...

Jack

Hmm, sounds like they're waiting on one big shipment to arrive.  Hopefully that shipment will be big enough to fulfill all their backorders.  BTWR seems to have a bunch of their Wouxun radios backordered, especially the GMRS ones. 

I'm also considering cancelling.  Or at least switch from the 905g to an 805g.  They seem to be better at keeping those in stock. 

I heard the same thing... have faith and wait... it is worth it for group scanning.  It is better for us all if BTWR gets a container load ship then only have 20 plus or so shipped at a time... These radio are shipped FOB to SC so better saving for us in bulk shipment.  

See my earlier post if you want one of my new 805G...

Jack

I am hearing that the long wait is about to come to an end. Yeh, I too hope that the next shipment is sufficient to cover the current backorders. Seems like there is a lot of interest in this radio.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KenBrooks said:

I have mine on order. What are your thoughts on the antennas that come on the 905G? If you have switched them out to a Nagoya 701 or 771, did you see any noticeable improvements in RX or TX?

Some here say the Nagoya is a big help.  My experience with 805G and Nagoya 771G is nominal, without any hard tests, but is a PITA in the vehicle with it's extra length.

Your results may vary.

22 minutes ago, Extreme said:

Some here say the Nagoya is a big help.  My experience with 805G and Nagoya 771G is nominal, without any hard tests, but is a PITA in the vehicle with it's extra length.

Your results may vary.

Thank you for the reply! I know that on paper they work better than the stock antenna, but I’m interested in hearing real world experiences. I’m interested in both the 771 and the 701 because my family uses GMRS radios for a couple different purposes.  We camp (and hike) a lot, and sometimes my wife and I will split up with our kids. My older son likes longer hikes than my younger son can handle, so the younger one will stay back in camp while I take the older one on the trail. We are often several miles from camp (often in thick woods) and the longer antenna of the 771 wouldn’t be in the way with the radio affixed to a backpack, especially if it would extend our range in this circumstance. 

We also like to use radios in urban environments. One example is when we visit the zoo. We often split up but cell service is awful, so we like to use radios. The 771s would be inconvenient for this application, but the 701’s would be okay, but are they going to be any better than the stock 905 antennas?

i have a 771g on my radio and its a great antenna, ordered 2 of the 701g and the swrs on both of them where in the 11 to 12 area on 3 diffrent swr meters and a spectrum analyzer at a local radio repair. sent them back to btwr and they said they tested fine....so either all 3 of the swr/power meters i used and the spec analyzer where bad or btwr didnt want to deal with it, so im currently waiting on the refund. so my advice is to stay away from the 701g and deal with the 771g's extra length.

I have mine on order. What are your thoughts on the antennas that come on the 905G? If you have switched them out to a Nagoya 701 or 771, did you see any noticeable improvements in RX or TX?

Good Day Ken.

I have all three antennas and extensive practical simplex and repeater experience with them. My conclusion is that if you are at the absolute fringe of being able to make out a transmission from another party, the 771 might make the difference between whether you will barely understand or not understand them at all. If you are not on the fringe it will make no practical difference.

I have previously reported I believe I receive perhaps 5% more range with the 771.

I used to use the 771 daily, but ultimately took if off because the inconvenience of the extra long antenna outweighed my limited need to squeeze out that extra few feet of distance. I am back to using the more convenient length stock antenna.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, mbrun said:

Good Day Ken.

I have all three antennas and extensive practical simplex and repeater experience with them. My conclusion is that if you are at the absolute fringe of being able to make out a transmission from another party, the 771 might make the difference between whether you will barely understand or not understand them at all. If you are not on the fringe it will make no practical difference.

I have previously reported I believe I receive perhaps 5% more range with the 771.

I used to use the 771 daily, but ultimately took if off because the inconvenience of the extra long antenna outweighed my limited need to squeeze out that extra few feet of distance. I am back to using the more convenient length stock antenna.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

That is very valuable information, Michael. Thank you. 

i have a three of the 771g for my two 805G and 905G and they work great... it is 15.5 inch long antenna and I mount the radios in my Jeep passenger side hand rail so it reaches out the front windshield.  

Around the house or on my ATV on the acreage, I use the rubber ducky antenna.

Pick what is best for your usage.

Jack

Has anyone heard if the 905G will have an alkaline battery pack available? For true emergency capability a fistful of alkaline  batteries may be the only way to be able to communicate if the power grid goes down for an extended period.. I would also like a built in Bluetooth added for a cleaner install. The one I have is an external dongle. We can all dream?

Has anyone heard if the 905G will have an alkaline battery pack available? For true emergency capability a fistful of alkaline  batteries may be the only way to be able to communicate if the power grid goes down for an extended period.. I would also like a built in Bluetooth added for a cleaner install. The one I have is an external dongle. We can all dream

I cannot speak to whether some form of alkaline case may be in its future, but a first glance it does not look like the existing battery case width is conducive to a AA battery pack version. You may wish to have battery eliminators so you can operate the radio off an automobile or deep cycle battery or solar cells. You may have to resort to having extra rechargeable battery packs on hand, your drop-in chargers and some 12v power adapters so you can recharge the batteries using solar cells, automotive or deep cycle batteries.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

12 hours ago, mbrun said:

I cannot speak to whether some form of alkaline case may be in its future, but a first glance it does not look like the existing battery case width is conducive to a AA battery pack version. You may wish to have battery eliminators so you can operate the radio off an automobile or deep cycle battery or solar cells. You may have to resort to having extra rechargeable battery packs on hand, your drop-in chargers and some 12v power adapters so you can recharge the batteries using solar cells, automotive or deep cycle batteries.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I have the battery eliminator that plugs into the cig lighter and works great on my Jeep...the AA pack is a waste of money as I had it on another radios.... You are better off getting and extra rechargeable battery and put one in the charger... but my radios last 2 days or more on the rechargeable batteries.

Jack

2 hours ago, MacJack said:

I have the battery eliminator that plugs into the cig lighter and works great on my Jeep...the AA pack is a waste of money as I had it on another radios.... You are better off getting and extra rechargeable battery and put one in the charger... but my radios last 2 days or more on the rechargeable batteries.

Jack

I've got the battery eliminator on order with the 905. I've honestly started questioning whether I should have gotten the 805 since it would have been backward compatible with all my current Wouxun hardware including an AA pack. I always carry extra batteries in my flight bag just in case.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, TRAINS said:

Has anyone heard if the 905G will have an alkaline battery pack available? For true emergency capability a fistful of alkaline  batteries may be the only way to be able to communicate if the power grid goes down for an extended period.. I would also like a built in Bluetooth added for a cleaner install. The one I have is an external dongle. We can all dream?

Alcalines cannot sustain the high current needed for transmission at full power. Extended period of communication on AA cells - forget about it. They are only good for receiving/monitoring and for one (short) press off PTT.

9 hours ago, axorlov said:

Alcalines cannot sustain the high current needed for transmission at full power. Extended period of communication on AA cells - forget about it. They are only good for receiving/monitoring and for one (short) press off PTT.

To further cloud the issue on the BTWR website in the February announcement of the 905g there is question posted 24May that asks specifically about the AA pack and the response is it is under development. Yes Alkaline doesn't have the push like the rechargeable but it is a nice backup. I admit I've never had new Alkaline do as poorly as you describe.