Channel Usage

Roadtrekker

Just got my GMRS license and waiting for new radios to arrive.

The reason I am writing is that I want to install the radio in my RV; the primary usage will be for traffic info, etc., while traveling.

My question is which channels should I monitor while on the road?

Thank you all for your assistance.

Tim Hayes

WRKX428/NH0H

I do not believe you will find any such thing consistently on GMRS. GMRS is not used the same as CB is/was.

Unlike CB where everyone with radio range on one another would hear you if you transmitted and they had their squelch sensitive enough, squelch codes (CTC/CTSSS, PL/DPL) codes are often used in GMRS to prevent hearing others unless they are using same code as they are. The codes exists so families and other groups don’t have to hear folks that are not part of their group.

Some repeaters do use a PL code of 141.8Hz to provide some level of access consistency when the repeater owner intentionally wants to support GMRS activity for travelers passing through. Here in Cincinnati, the only time I ever hear anything about traffic is when one of our local GMRS regulars is stuck in it. I imagine there is seldom anyone else in a car on the same route that is listening or that cares. I truly have never heard, even once, anyone ask for traffic information on GMRS. It is just not used that way around here. It may be different in other metro areas.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM