Call signs

Blackmar401

Does anyone actually use them. I have been using gmrs for a few months now and the only callsigns I have heard used are on one of the repeaters I pick up. It's a group of guys who are truck drivers/dispatch but also hams. Other than that every other repeater and 15-22 I am yet to hear one. I was using mine but honestly now I just use it to clear the chanel at the end

As a GMRS licensee they (and you) are required to use them. I live near Cincinnati. Around me, both repeater and simplex users alike seem to use them pretty religiously. There is even a local GMRS father that is teaching his 7 year old son to use GRMRs per the rules. Pretty cool seeing a father take his role seriously.

Remember that GMRS shares 22 of 30 frequencies with FRS, and FRS users do not need to have a license and callsign, so one cannot always assume that those not giving there callsign are actual GMRS licensees. They could be simplex FRS users. Now, if you are hearing them truly from the repeater (not just simplex users using the main GMRS frequencies and code that you are), then yes they must have a license and must be using there callsign.

Best way to get people to use their callsign is to lead by example.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Nobody uses them here in VA, even on repeaters. I do, but I feel like I'm scaring people away from wanting to reply when I do.

That may be a very good thing.

Let’s us all be good stewards of the GMRS service by our example so it does not run away from us and turn into trash like CB did in so many places.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I'm not saying I encourage people to use GMRS without a license. Far from it. I rarely hear anybody else at all though except maybe a few people on FRS, licensed or maybe not. While always encouraging people to follow the rules, I don't want to scare anybody off from a potentially fun hobby or useful tool. I think there's a balance. I'm not saying you guys are, but just in general, I think anybody who wants to play radio police should stick to ham. Now people playing DJ on the repeater? Screw them. Other than blatant abuse though, I lean towards a more welcoming approach, especially on simplex. I'll still keep trying to set an example though by using the callsign.

I'm not saying I encourage people to use GMRS without a license. Far from it. I rarely hear anybody else at all though except maybe a few people on FRS, licensed or maybe not. While always encouraging people to follow the rules, I don't want to scare anybody off from a potentially fun hobby or useful tool. I think there's a balance. I'm not saying you guys are, but just in general, I think anybody who wants to play radio police should stick to ham. Now people playing DJ on the repeater? Screw them. Other than blatant abuse though, I lean towards a more welcoming approach, especially on simplex. I'll still keep trying to set an example though by using the callsign.

It could be a regional/cultural differences thing...

Out here in the southwest - we're *super* friendly (everybody's a friend when you're in the desert...) , and we make it a point to personally welcome folks to GMRS and let them know that it's ok - we all have "mic fright" at first, and it'll wear off soon enough, and people will get to know your callsign in time. It's how we roll in these parts. Callsigns are basically treated as calling cards - you can announce your callsign followed by "monitoring"  - if your friends are out there, they'll respond.

Does anyone actually use them. I have been using gmrs for a few months now and the only callsigns I have heard used are on one of the repeaters I pick up. It's a group of guys who are truck drivers/dispatch but also hams. Other than that every other repeater and 15-22 I am yet to hear one. I was using mine but honestly now I just use it to clear the chanel at the end

By FCC rules you need to indentify your station every 15 minutes when you have a QSO and as you said to end your conversation and sign out too.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Tapatalk

By FCC rules you need to indentify your station every 15 minutes when you have a QSO and as you said to end your conversation and sign out too.

Sent from my Z5156CC using Tapatalk

I think the OP understands the rules same as the rest of us. The practical everyday usage of callsigns on the frequencies was his question, and I don't think too many people strictly abide by that rule. I don't. I do use them on an initial call or when signing off though. Just depends on if I'm on somebody's repeater or not and if I know the person I'm calling is sitting there waiting for me to talk. I really think the rules are there so the FCC can have something to enforce when people abuse the frequency, not to guide our everyday use. Again, this is GMRS, not ham. Good behavior and courteous use of the frequencies are what matter IMHO.

Remember that GMRS shares 22 of 30 frequencies with FRS, and FRS users do not need to have a license and callsign, so one cannot always assume that those not giving there callsign are actual GMRS licensees. They could be simplex FRS users.

Big hint they are FRS users is that annoying “Roger Beep” you frequently hear. Of course there are a few people that turned that function on in their Chinese radios they use on GMRS so it’s not a sure sign.

I really don't expect to hear it (call sign) on simplex.  Lots of kids and those annoying roger beeps, landscape companies, campgrounds, etc.  I DO expect to hear it on a repeater.  If you purchased a repeater capable radio and learned how and why to apply a repeater tone to access it, then it's reasonable to assume you know you're supposed to have a license, and are willing to part with $35 for a no-test license for 10 years.  After all, you are now transmitting a WIDE ranging signal over several dozen to several hundred square miles.

Unlike most Amateur repeaters, many GMRS repeater owners require you to obtain permission to use their repeater, with the obvious requirement that you provide your call sign.  It's fairly easy to figure out the PL tone and get on the machine without permission, but that operator will likely be shunned, which is the most effective solution to that problem.

I use mine per FCC regulations. If others don’t, that’s on them. There are bad habits on GMRS (CB lingo, ham lingo, use of “channel” numbers instead of frequencies, not properly identifying) that should just go away. Use plain English (not cutesy “radio” vernacular); ID at the beginning & end of transmission, plus every 15 minutes therein; and make it as close to normal speech as possible. Not difficult!

I think the OP understands the rules same as the rest of us. The practical everyday usage of callsigns on the frequencies was his question, and I don't think too many people strictly abide by that rule. I don't. I do use them on an initial call or when signing off though. Just depends on if I'm on somebody's repeater or not and if I know the person I'm calling is sitting there waiting for me to talk. I really think the rules are there so the FCC can have something to enforce when people abuse the frequency, not to guide our everyday use. Again, this is GMRS, not ham. Good behavior and courteous use of the frequencies are what matter IMHO.

Exactly. I think these guys all understood it that way as well they are just trying to be difficult. My main chanel that my family uses has next to no traffic on it. Maybe once every few days I will hear a short call but thats it. But like you said if you are being respectful and not tying the chanel up or interupting other people then I doubt the fcc is sitting their with a timer ready to hunt you down when you miss your 15 min ID. Now when the business downtown has 80 people all speaking Spanish and talking over each other and yelling (possibly being vulgar) and making everyone's radio sounds like a telenovela being interupted by an auctioneer all day then yes they probably will look into it to keep the paying members happy. Me telling my wife im stopping at the store on the way home after 30 hours of dead air.... not so much.

I live in an area with a pretty sophisticated GMRS repeater network. In order to use the repeaters, you must join the club and pay dues. When you join the club, you get a "Tactical Unit Number". What I have found is that the hams will use their GMRS call sign or their GMRS call sign and their tactical unit number together, but the GMRS only users hardly ever use their call sign, and just use their tactical unit number. 

I do hear a couple of yahoos on a regular basis on CH 18 (462.625 MHz) simplex and they never use any identifier. Based on their other behaviors, I suspect they are not licensed.

If your following the FCC rules by the letter!

If you using any Channel/Freq at the higher power levels, your using GMRS.

This does REQUIRE your callsigns, not just repeater use. at the start, after 15 minutes and at the end of your communications.

That's the difference between FRS and GMRS, the higher power levels on the shared Channel/Freqs.

Unit number are to be used after your Call Sign, if calling / talking to someone in your family, using your GMRS license.

Now if it’s for an official emergency use, usually the main coordinator, will assign you a unit number and record document your name and call sign.
In my case, working with the state, county and regional. We then switch to unit ID and Last name.
Some on GMRS and some on their digital band.