Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

It seems like a lot of people here also have Jeeps and maybe even it's the reason you are in to GMRS. Just curious who's got what equipment in what rig, how you have it mounted, and what you generally use it for.

I have a '98 TJ with a Midland MXT275 and the Midland 6db nmo antenna. I also have the same Cobra 75WXST and Firestick antenna I've had forever and have rarely used. Hopefully the GMRS one will get a lot more use. Planning to install another KG-1000 in the Jeep soon.

[image]https://flic.kr/p/2kJQ2bv[/image]

https://flic.kr/p/2kJKLyo

**This forum is confounding me. I can't figure out how to embed an image. Anybody got any help?

Cobra 75WXST for the 2015 Hard Rock for the last 6 years.  It worked better than I thought it would.

Midland 400 MXT with a 6DB antenna for a year now.  Was really worried it wasn't working at all until I finally heard and spoke to a repeater  30 miles away.

Mounted it over the tray on the center of the dash next to my handheld GPSr on a small piece of oak.  Antenna is mounted just forward of the A frame on the driver side fender/hood.

Trail rides and friends around town.

95 zj, uniden pc78ltx, with a 102 whip with spring and quick release, soon to be kg1000g on some type of better antenna then the ut-72, going to remote mount the head above the mirror on the upper console, the body im hoping to mount inside the center console but ill see when that time comes.

In the process of installing 1/4 wave NMO mount in the roof of my '99 XJ, connected to a Kenwood TK-8180 either above the mirror or inside the DIN by replacing the stereo I don't use.  Have the Kenwood DIN bracket made for this.

Trail rides with a group and hunting.

Friendly suggestion please:

It would be cool if you guys with Jeeps with GRMS/CB rigs could post a picture of both your rig and antenna mounts, so us wanna-be Jeep owners could see what your talking about, and how a possible GMRS solution might influence a future Jeep purchase.

Also, could someone explain the different Jeep model acronyms used in this thread (TJ, JKU, XJ, ZJ, JT, JK)?  i know what a CJ5/CJ7 is, and of course a Wrangler and a Cherokee, but that's about it.

PS. I'm not totally new to Jeeps:  My brother owns a '78 CJ5, which I've driven a number of times, and my wife owns a '15 Cherokee 4x4 (ok ok, I know the Cherokee doesn't really count, it's just a family SUV).     :)

Thanks,

Thomas

I tried posting pics and failed. I am not a forum newb. Hoping somebody can help me navigate this forum's needs as far as pics go.

Wrangler models:

After the CJ came the '87?-'95 YJ. Leaf sprung and weird square headlights.

Then came the best Jeep, the '97-'06 TJ. Coil sprung and proper round Jeep headlights. Just the right amount of modern but still stupid simple. They also made an "Unlimited" variant people unofficially call the LJ (long Jeep) which is stretched similar to the Scrambler. Also the Rubicon model had a better transfer case and locking beefier axles.

'07-'17? were JK's. These saw the advent of the 4 door option which has seen them explode in popularity. It also means a lot of people who would have otherwise bought an SUV to haul the kids around bought these, so a lot of earlier Jeep guys kind of look down on these. You'll see a lot more stupid low profile 24" rims or bought not built mall crawlers in these years. The JKU just means JK unlimited which is the 4 door version. JKUR = Unlimited Rubicon model JK.

The '18+ are JT (Jeep truck) and JL. They are nice and very expensive. I wouldn't want to scratch mine or roll it.

Non-Wranglers:

XJ is the classic Cherokee. Super dope. I love these. '87-'06?

ZJ is the original Grand Cherokee. These are very cool. Because v8 and you can still wheel them

I tried posting pics and failed. I am not a forum newb. Hoping somebody can help me navigate this forum's needs as far as pics go.

Wrangler models:

After the CJ came the '87?-'95 YJ. Leaf sprung and weird square headlights.

Then came the best Jeep, the '97-'06 TJ. Coil sprung and proper round Jeep headlights. Just the right amount of modern but still stupid simple. They also made an "Unlimited" variant people unofficially call the LJ (long Jeep) which is stretched similar to the Scrambler. Also the Rubicon model had a better transfer case and locking beefier axles.

'07-'17? were JK's. These saw the advent of the 4 door option which has seen them explode in popularity. It also means a lot of people who would have otherwise bought an SUV to haul the kids around bought these, so a lot of earlier Jeep guys kind of look down on these. You'll see a lot more stupid low profile 24" rims or bought not built mall crawlers in these years. The JKU just means JK unlimited which is the 4 door version. JKUR = Unlimited Rubicon model JK.

The '18+ are JT (Jeep truck) and JL. They are nice and very expensive. I wouldn't want to scratch mine or roll it.

Non-Wranglers:

XJ is the classic Cherokee. Super dope. I love these. '87-'06?

ZJ is the original Grand Cherokee. These are very cool. Because v8 and you can still wheel them

post-2674-0-66348200-1615563713_thumb.jpg

That thing is hawt! How did you post the pic? Did you somehow shrink it enough to use the forum picture upload?

Tap-a-Talk works best for me to post from my phone.  This pic is from the laptop and I'm not sure how it worked.  Should be able to choose file size.

That thing is hawt! How did you post the pic? Did you somehow shrink it enough to use the forum picture upload?

Thanks.

Doing a trail run with a gang of off-roaders tomorrow and will be checking range to the repeater via HTs.   25 mi. LOS from where we're headed to the repeater and the same to my house to try simplex with the wife.   

Haven't installed the mobile just yet.  Gonna have a 'garage day' and hopefully get mobiles in more Jeeps & others.  Pushing for licensing.  Will push harder if/when it goes to $35.

93 Wrangler YJ 4.0

Cobra 75 inside the dash with a Firestick on a standard right tail light mount

Midland MXT115 where the ashtray used to be with a PCTEL Maxrad  NMO on a standard left tail light mount.

CB works fine,  But almost no activity in my area 

GMRS can easily talk simplex over 13 miles so far, even across town.