Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

I just ordered a KG-1000G and wondering where to put it in the Jeep (JKUR). I have an amp/sub under the passenger seat, a Tuffy lockbox under the driver’s seat, and an Appollointech light switch controller above the rear view mirror so none of the traditional options will work. I also have a Sunrider top so mounting it on an overhead panel isn’t an option either....

For antenna I’m debating whether to go fender mount or on the rear most Rhino rack crossbar (which I assume would be superior) using a folding mount of some sort (or an antenna with folding base).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just testing out Tapatalk with the same pics in my original post.....

And I didn't specify in my original post I'm using above the taillight mounts for both antennas.33d4cf12a0f73ca22d9cdb5f94ac539a.jpg6cc467ff451cbb32909894e44d0adfae.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

what brand and where did you get the tail light mounts? TJ or JK?

Here's a question with those with more radio experience than I.  For  typical (GMRS only) Jeep usage scenarios (10 vehicle freeway convoys, trail runs through mixed open desert or in and out of arroyos, and traversing mountain trails in the Sierras) would you rather have:

1.  1/4, 1/2, or 5/8 wave antenna (no ground plane)

2. Fender mount or center roof rack mount

If I go center roof rack mount, I will use either a fold-over antenna base or a tilt-down mount like the Comet RS-660U.  If I go fold-over I haven't figured out which antenna yet (or even if there is a good option).

The radio will be a Wouxun KG-1000G.  I don't park in a garage, so height restrictions are a non-issue.   For traveling through heavy brush, I will probably get a 1/4 wave or "stubby" antenna to swap to while on that particular section of trail.

MXT400 (will upgrade to MXT500 when released). Mounted with a JCR Off-road overhead Molle panel in my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

6db antenna mounted at the bolt forward of the radio antenna.

I also have a Kenwood D710GA with the antenna mounted on the opposite side (but likely moving to rear tailgate when I upgrade the Midland).

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed probably a few to many adult beverages last night and decided to knock this out in the wee hours. Paying for it this morning, and things aren't exactly how I wanted (crooked) but the KG1000 is in. I'm glad I didn't just cut a hole and and mount the CAT5 port for the mic without checking first. That cord would have been ripping leg hairs out non stop come shorts weather. Pretty happy with the location I decided upon. Might replace my tired CB and put the mic in that location as well.05367b5dbabd3f6b33819f09c428e2e7.jpge0a2ba484b3e5db506eab0417f3402bc.jpg4b4ada1b0d9e3d8cb081a1f26b527cbe.jpg4da7a3026345f606e175939959605c81.jpge4adad68dd6aa2b42af6739bd1a4614a.jpg

Now I just need to tidy up the cables a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I just installed a MXT275 with the standard antenna and the Midland 6db nmo antenna for when i off road on my 4Runner. I had to use some of my Sons old erector-set parts to mount the mic and the smaller antenna. lol

VMQXw49h.jpg

I just cant fit in the garage with the 6db antenna since i have it on the mag mount dead center of the roof. So i use the small one that came with the unit for my daily driving. 

o4dF5KZh.jpg

uB0q3Iqh.jpg

More of a general tech question, but should I be grounding the radio power at the battery or is a chassis ground sufficient?

Chassis! Modern vehicles have sensors linked to the PCM or BCM on the battery ground side. Use a factory grounding point on the body/chassis. There should be one or more near the battery. They’re easy to spot.

Just completed a GMRS test between my Jeep and the significant other. We both have Midland MXT400 w/ 6db antenna mounted on her JK and my TJ.

Over 40 miles from Northern Colorado into Wyoming just south of Cheyenne.

My standing elevation was at 5K' and hers traveling maxed at 6.1K' with some moderate terrain signal shadowing along the way. Clear voice typically and 3 to 5 on RX.

He worked at several places in the states and around the world, but most of the time he was at Plum Brook research facility west of Cleveland. If you have ever seen the movie Armageddon, the scene where they are in a giant vacuum chamber and the female astronaut asks Bear what would happen if she kicked him in the balls, that's the world's largest vacuum chamber and it's located at Plum Brook. My kids have a tent on their bed made from cloth used in some sort of rocket humidity test that was inside that chamber.