Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

Just finished my Wouxun KG-1000G install with a Midland 6db antenna. Fabricated the mount from 3/16" aluminum and used an existing attachment for my 100w solar panel.

I already had a CB mount from Quadratec,, and so far it passes muster with my co-pilot since this radio is smaller than the CB it is replacing. I had to run new power straight from the battery to supply the 15 amps and a new ground to the chassis. Mic Mount is a $6 workman plastic clip with some VHB tape to a leftover Ram ball mount I already had. I may get a longer arm to get it down out of the way a bit more...

VW7YxT.jpg

1Du24k.jpg

FPFwwQ.jpg

A single 100w panel can do that?!?!! Wow.

The fridge only draws about 45 watts for 2-3 minutes every 30 minutes in "normal" conditions (75º daytime temps/40's at night).  That equates to about 200 to 250 watt hours per 24 hour day, so I can go about 2 days without a charge before its flat dead.  That gives me some cushion if the weather isn't ideal. but under normal operating conditions, the panel will produce 65-75 watts, even in mid winter and not angled at the sun properly, which tops it off from the night before within a couple of hours.  Usually by the time I break camp.

I've got 2 Jeeps -

In my 2012 JKU "NotARubicon" I have a Wouxun KG-1000G ..

In the wife's 2006 LJ "IsARubicon" I put in a BTech GMRS 50X1 ..

Happy with both, but the Wouxun is a far better radio.

Aha. You’re the guy I blame for spending $320 on an “Ocean” radio instead of just being satisfied with my Baofeng BF-F8HP HT and a mag mount antenna. :). Seriously your GMRS vids are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait till you decide you want to get into scanners or ham radio. $600+ scanners with NMO antenna in each car along with dual band Part 90 radios, plus a QRP radio for HF on the go......... this year has not been good to my wallet.

Seconding....I need to stay off of ebay. I haven't even finished my shack/mobile setup yet

Aha. You’re the guy I blame for spending $320 on an “Ocean” radio...

I thought it was "Walks-on." Oh wait, that's a different YouTube guy (Ham Radio 2.0). Good thing you went with that radio, otherwise you might have had to order from Radioddiddditty, Raddity-iddity, Raddy-oh, or whatever the heck that outfit is called.

My post was a play on a certain YouTube host's pronunciation of the name, but thank you for the clarification.

Ah, I see said the blind man. I've found very few who can pronounce it correctly. They insist on putting in an extra "o" to make it "radio ditity" or "radio oddity."  :rolleyes:

Just like "Bao Feng" which is actually pronounced "Po Fung"...  :lol:

First trail GMRS use and man, do I prefer that over CB. Still have the CB installed in the Jeep as it will be a secondary form of comms for others that haven't seen the light yet. Running trails in Moab. Ran Elephant hill yesterday and on the way out, the team leader was well over 5 miles out and some generous but not too heavy terrain between us and we were talking back an forth as if we were standing next to each other.

Oh yeah!

I like your comments.  I switched to GMRS HT and installed in my new Jeep mounted to the passenger hand bar.  Did not even install my old CB from the old Jeep, but picked up a CB handheld if I ever need it...

Happy Jeeping in Moab.

Jack

First trail GMRS use and man, do I prefer that over CB. Still have the CB installed in the Jeep as it will be a secondary form of comms for others that haven't seen the light yet. Running trails in Moab. Ran Elephant hill yesterday and on the way out, the team leader was well over 5 miles out and some generous but not too heavy terrain between us and we were talking back an forth as if we were standing next to each other.

Oh yeah!

• 2 weeks later...

Other than Midland, where are you guys sourcing antennas for Jeeps?  And what seems to be the best performers.  1/2w, 5/8, loaded??? Several buddies requesting mobile radio installs on TJ, YJ, JK, etc. and my only experience is with 1/4 wave NMO ground plane antennas.  Looking to get them the best performing antennas as they're relying on my perceived "expertise".. lol. Not a fan of mag-mount, nor will they work with fiberglass roofs.  

Seems most common impulse is for them to get Midland radios.  I wish they allowed split repeater tones.  Other than that they seem to be well regarded.

Other than Midland, where are you guys sourcing antennas for Jeeps?  And what seems to be the best performers.  1/2w, 5/8, loaded??? Several buddies requesting mobile radio installs on TJ, YJ, JK, etc. and my only experience is with 1/4 wave NMO ground plane antennas.  Looking to get them the best performing antennas as they're relying on my perceived "expertise".. lol. Not a fan of mag-mount, nor will they work with fiberglass roofs.  
Seems most common impulse is for them to get Midland radios.  I wish they allowed split repeater tones.  Other than that they seem to be well regarded.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=191_192_196_215

If you poke around a bit you can find some specifically tuned for GMRS.

My Midland 6db antenna and cable tested out at 1.0 to 1.2 SWR so I’m not seeing a need to look elsewhere at this point. I may add a “tilt down” mount at some point.

I’m also adding a Cel-Fi mobile cell booster soon which will be a very similarly sized antenna. That system I’m getting from these guys:

https://4thdsolar.com/collections/communication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk