Jeeps & Radios

SkylinesSuck

Just had my KG-1000 mounted in my 2019 JLUR, the mic sits on a 67 Design Nano CF arm with JeepUniq holder mounted to a 67 Design JL rail system, that rail system also has my Garmin Overland, Valentine Radar detector, GoPro camera and IPhone mounted on it. The control unit is mounted on a 67 Design CF Mini arm, that attaches to the passenger grab bar, the radio is mounted under the driver's seat. I also have a Lido Speaker Microphone Mount attached to the headliner so that the mic can be closer to me in loud environments. I am  trying three different antennas all of them on the roof rack using a metal plate, the rack is aluminum like most of the Jeep, to attach a Midland magnetic NMO mount, a Midland MicroMobile® MXTA25 for around town general use, and am favoring for long range use the Nagoya NL-770G with a NMO to UHF Female Low Profile Antenna Mount Wattmeter Adapter over the Wouxun ANO-050G, but still playing with each.

Kg-1000.jpg

Mic alt.jpg

Antenna.jpg

Thanks, even though I realize a lot of us buy jeeps to take the top and doors off, I am not a fan of the sun beating down on me, so the top is never coming off on mine, in fact I am getting a 270 awning tomorrow for the lunch stops in the desert.

Enjoy the open air.

26 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Thanks, even though I realize a lot of us buy jeeps to take the top and doors off, I am not a fan of the sun beating down on me, so the top is never coming off on mine, in fact I am getting a 270 awning tomorrow for the lunch stops in the desert.

Enjoy the open air.

I know what you are saying... I use PF 60 plus all the time... because I Jeep and bike and wear long sleeves and a hat...  I am my dermatologist best customer.  So I do use a sun screen on my Jeep but does not stop crime  Happy for you and how you made your rig look.. 

Daystar sells this little console. 
Also sell a TYT TH-8600 as a GMRS, not sure its a legal conversion, mine is Ham, dual band. 
I didn't wire anything to the switches, as I don't have any extra anything to wire up. 
Don't even have fog lights. 
The TH-8600 was my choice because its advertised at IP68 waterproof, and I spend all summer in Bikini top so I do get wet on our random thunderstorms. 
Antenna sits on a bracket I made attached to the third brake light, Tram dual band. It has a flat SWR on 2m, Murs, 70cm and GMRS. 

radioJK.jpg

IMG_20200910_181858041_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200827_154159990.jpg

On 4/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I've got 2 Jeeps -

In my 2012 JKU "NotARubicon" I have a Wouxun KG-1000G ..

In the wife's 2006 LJ "IsARubicon" I put in a BTech GMRS 50X1 ..

Happy with both, but the Wouxun is a far better radio.

Perhaps you can share your thoughts on the UV5R? ?

For those running GMRS plus any other un-named VHF band, I just used a Diamond NR73BNMO dualband (2 meter and 440 MHz mobile antenna) on a road trip from RI to FL (I am entirely too lazy to install multiple antennas and radios). The SWR was 2/1 or less throughout amateur and GMRS bands.

Wife had a Midland MXT275 with the included shorty magnet mount.  We had excellent, quality comms the whole trip. 

I bought a UV5R as a backup radio.  It is a competent, inexpensive handheld. 

So, I posted earlier in this thread, with my Jeep set up.

But thought I'd update.

This weekend we did some radio testing.  Truck to Truck,

both trucks running Midland MX115 radios,

one with the small antenna supplied with

the radio and the other with a 5db gain antenna.

both are roof mounted with mag bases. One truck parked as a base and

the other driving in our direction starting at 35 mi away.

With 15w, Clear comms. over 35mi all across our valley,

the only place we lost contact was passing through a small

town on the valley floor 22 miles out, with buildings blocking our signal.

Next time  we will test with the mobile driving away from the base.

So, overall I am pleased with out set up. and now will start collecting

items for a set up in the house.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 4:12 AM, wqxq281 said:

Mounting ideas:  This is on a 2018 F-150, but cup holders are cup holders. 

Cup holder ball mount with RAM adjustable arm.  Clean, no drill option if you can afford to lose the cup holder. 

20210629_155116.thumb.jpg.4e0070358d292e2c2b7f50b057714999.jpg

20210629_155124.thumb.jpg.b31c3d23deb1d0bc2014a79bd5151d56.jpg

20210629_155131.thumb.jpg.ea6a61e283fc74a1da6b7029119cccc5.jpg

Great installation pictures @wqxq281. I have seen those Ram mounts used in many ways. What I would like so search for is some kind of hands free operation for my Midland MXT400. Any ideas for me to PTT handsfree?

On 6/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, wrjc901 said:
Daystar sells this little console. 
Also sell a TYT TH-8600 as a GMRS, not sure its a legal conversion, mine is Ham, dual band. 
I didn't wire anything to the switches, as I don't have any extra anything to wire up. 
Don't even have fog lights. 
The TH-8600 was my choice because its advertised at IP68 waterproof, and I spend all summer in Bikini top so I do get wet on our random thunderstorms. 
Antenna sits on a bracket I made attached to the third brake light, Tram dual band. It has a flat SWR on 2m, Murs, 70cm and GMRS. 

radioJK.jpg

IMG_20200910_181858041_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200827_154159990.jpg

Great installation pictures @wrjc901

I also posted these pictures in the review sub-forum. 

This is the AnyTone that I just mounted in my FJ Cruiser. it is under the passenger seat next to my 2m/440.

GMRS-under-seat.jpg

There is a rectangular recess in the centre console that is a perfect size for the microphone.

GMRS-microphone.jpg

9 hours ago, Hasaf said:

I also posted these pictures in the review sub-forum. 

This is the AnyTone that I just mounted in my FJ Cruiser. it is under the passenger seat next to my 2m/440.

There is a rectangular recess in the centre console that is a perfect size for the microphone.

@Hasaf: Those are great installation pics!

• 1 month later...

Installed the kg-1000 in my 21 gladiator to the freedom panels latche; for now, I used 2 CMM ball mounts that replace the existing freedom panel screws  a ram mount phone holder, and along with two ram mount socket arms to hold the face and mic for the mic I used bullet mounting solutions CB holder the ball on the CB holder the base located under the seat 

F4BAE08A-1A42-4954-8DE9-729A72AAAF25.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:29 PM, kfblackz28 said:

2006 TJ Rubicon with Midland MXT400 and 6db antenna. Radio mounted on center plate of the RockHard roll cage and antenna mounted on swing out tire carrier.

Cobra 75 WXST w/ FireStick. I took off the CB antenna at least for the time being.

Picking up my '06 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) and pondering the antenna mount.  I too have the Rock Hard cage so the radio mount is a no-brainer.  In fact the previous owner has a CB mounted there now. 

I'm wondering if spare tire antenna mount will be as efficient as a ground plane antenna?  Are you using a no GP?

Reason I'm back on this thread is I'm planning to put a GenRight full hood vent on the LJ.  I'm getting a spare TJ/LJ hood to monkey with so the original can be replaced if needed.  Not wanting to cut up a rig with 29,000 miles on it.  So... with the steel hood vent I can mount a 1/4 wave 6" antenna in the center of the modified hood and have a great ground plane.  Question:  is RF of any concern with only 4 or 5 feet and a windshield between the antenna and occupants?  

The look?  Who cares if it works.  Black antenna on a black hood and a total of 7" extruding.

I'll read on.. haven't been on here in awhile, like since July.

Thanks.

Black Unlimited.jpg

Great tool.  Entered conservative (worst case) parameters.

1. Full radio power (30w) w/o cable loss.  MSD drops considerably if I go to 20w for cable loss.

2. Transmit for a full minute is rare. 

3. Antenna gain is what they said is normal for quarter wave vertical. (1.5)

4. Included Ground Reflections since the hood of a Jeep is considerably larger than the minimum requirement for a ground plane antenna and will be completely reflective.

Looks like minimum safe distance is 1' to 2.5' depending on whether Controlled Environment.  That's good, no danger while cruising and I certainly wouldn't let a bunch of folks have lunch over the hood while chatting on the radio. So I'll be quite comfortable transmitting from the driver's seat.  

Unless someone comes up with a mounting position that'll work as well, full ground plane is hard to beat.  And we do get significant distances apart on the trail as well as varied terrain and elevations.

Now I'm wondering if underhood heat will effect the coax?  

Thanks BoxCar!

I have a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Rugged Radios makes a very stable and adjustable mount for Jeep JLs. Lots of holes in the plate to fine tune the position, I keep it as far forward as possible. The radio came with a mic that has a built in magnet, and the kit includes Scosche Magnetic hand mic hanger. Very strong magnet for the mic.

1A89F070-41F9-41E7-B168-DCED00E66D7A_1_201_a.jpeg

On 6/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, Landshark said:

Just had my KG-1000 mounted in my 2019 JLUR, the mic sits on a 67 Design Nano CF arm with JeepUniq holder mounted to a 67 Design JL rail system, that rail system also has my Garmin Overland, Valentine Radar detector, GoPro camera and IPhone mounted on it. The control unit is mounted on a 67 Design CF Mini arm, that attaches to the passenger grab bar, the radio is mounted under the driver's seat. I also have a Lido Speaker Microphone Mount attached to the headliner so that the mic can be closer to me in loud environments. I am  trying three different antennas all of them on the roof rack using a metal plate, the rack is aluminum like most of the Jeep, to attach a Midland magnetic NMO mount, a Midland MicroMobile® MXTA25 for around town general use, and am favoring for long range use the Nagoya NL-770G with a NMO to UHF Female Low Profile Antenna Mount Wattmeter Adapter over the Wouxun ANO-050G, but still playing with each.

Kg-1000.jpg

Mic alt.jpg

Antenna.jpg

How loud is the mic speaker?  I've got a similar setup in my JL, including the Garmin Overlander!  (I have a Garmin camera I mounted on the front bumper, too. The Overlander lets you correct the image (reverse it) and the tire lines can be adjusted to help with placment when off-roading).

Did you mont a RAM ball on the back of the faceplate of the KG1000-G?

Nice setup, btw!