What's the difference between Midland's LXT/GXT and X-Talker series?

drabina

I am still doing research on what to buy as a replacement for my entry level FRS radios. I am looking on Midland's website and they have two sections: X-Talker and LXT/GXT but if I look at i.e. T61VP3 and LXT630VP3 they look almost exactly the same and I can't even find a difference in major specs. Is there a build quality difference or something obvious I am missing?

I am still doing research on what to buy as a replacement for my entry level FRS radios. I am looking on Midland's website and they have two sections: X-Talker and LXT/GXT but if I look at i.e. T61VP3 and LXT630VP3 they look almost exactly the same and I can't even find a difference in major specs. Is there a build quality difference or something obvious I am missing?

The GXT radios are just above the legal power limit for FRS radios and thus are classified a GMRS. I own many. Looking at the LXT radios, they appear to be FRS radios, meaning they are 2-watts or less of effective radiating power.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

More power is good.  If you go to the GMRS ones (GXT according to above), you're supposed to pay the FCC $70 for a license your entire family, even in-laws, can use.  Easy to do, you pay on line and they send it via email in a day or so.  If you're willing to do that, and cost isn't a factor, consider stepping up to an $80 Wouxun KG-805G.  You'll have a full five watts, probably roughly double the GXT.  If you only need to go .5 miles or less, save the money.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a GMRS license but would rather stay with simpler and smaller radios than a fully featured KG-805G. I have two kids so less buttons the better. I do not see myself programming repeaters into the unit. I need simple grab and go radios.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a GMRS license but would rather stay with simpler and smaller radios than a fully featured KG-805G. I have two kids so less buttons the better. I do not see myself programming repeaters into the unit. I need simple grab and go radios.

While the 805G is a very capable radio, it requires nearly the same level of effort to use out of the box as the Midland GXT1000. The only extra thing you must do on the 805G that you do not have to do on the midland is set the Tx and Rx tones separately. But, you DO NOT need to have software to take advantage of every GMRS frequency and standard repeater pair available. They are programmed in from the factory.

Now, as far as kids go, durability and replacement cost when damaged are valid considerations. Perhaps then you should stay FRS. You will have compatibility with GMRS, and call-signs will not be necessary. Also check out the DeWalt branded radios at Home Depot. They are super simple and appear to be built very tough.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I have a couple Cobra FRS radios,a couple BTech V1 radios and a Retevis 76P.

The cobras require batteries which can be a pain to change. Also, on the cobras, if I lock the radio, I have to unlock it before I turn it off. With the others, I can lock it and turn the radios off and on, and still be in lock mode. There is virtually nothing that can be hurt with either radio by them being locked or unlocked and given to a kid. I just keep the channels the same on the dual display when my youngest kid has the radio. The channels are the same, so the only real difference is the display and power levels.

I think the removable antenna is just as big of a deal as the small increase in power going from a 2W FRS to 5W GMRS hand held.

You can plug a GMRS radio onto a mag mount antenna in the car. 

Or you can choose a bigger, better hand held antenna like a Smiley super stick 465 or a Nagoya 771.

A better antenna does not take more current out of your battery like a higher power radio either.

And it also helps the guy on the other end if your antenna has some gain.

Vince