Requests for New Features

rdunajewski

Hi everyone,

Since myGMRS.com has been around for about 8 years now (thanks to everyone who has helped to make the site great!) and is continuing to age further every day, I've been planning a new website that will streamline they way everything works, will be more stable, has new features, and can cover Amateur Radio as well.

While I have some great things in mind already, I'd like to take the opportunity to reach out to the community and ask what features you thing would be important in a new site. For example, I plan to have a mobile app for iOS and Android at some point in the future that will let you access the repeater information on the go much easier. We may also publish an API that radio programming software can tap into and download repeater information right to your radio without having to manually program each site. But again, I need your feedback to understand which features are most important to you!

So please feel free to post below with your feature requests and/or tell us what your favorite current features of myGMRS.com are and you want to make sure are kept going forward.

Thanks again for making this community great and I look forward to working with everyone well into the future!

• 2 months later...

This is a great system for the day to day user. Well done team!

If possible, could you add a Disaster Relief teams, search and rescue teams.

State, county info

Type of resource radio comm, s&r

How many volunteers

Any emergency equip

Generator, canopy, repeaters, radios, trailer etc

Primary and secondary. Contact info

Phone & address, web, email

Any other affiliation, REACT, red cross, arrl etc

Should not be open to all to join, request must be sent

To team designee..

Team contact info should be public so

Emergency operators can request them

Thank you

How about a feature to automatically subscribe you to a thread you've posted on?

Mobile device-wise, tapatalk works pretty well.

Maybe a control panel similar to radio reference for the browse users to easily find info about new posts in threads they are subbed to?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Staff Comment -

The owner of MyGMRS (Rich) will get to your question as time permits.

In the mean time, we noted that your signature graphics contains private repeater access info for a Permission Required system.  That info can be seen by anyone visiting MyGMRS forums - including search engines and non licensed persons.

You may wish to rethink what is contained in your signature line...

Are you looking ot change the website or the forums ? I think there is a real need for the website to be able to be updated with inaccurate info (old repeater sites). As for the forum I think its good. I'll be honest I come here for GMRS only. I go to RR for ham or commercial stuff. Keeping somewhat on a single topis is good and think there is good balance here. 

• 2 months later...

1: Could you please think about adding a "Future Install" (with a color of it's own that isn't black) with a date expected for the install under "Add Repeater"? That way people wanting to add a repeater somewhere can see if there is one already projected for install. I have received calls from two people already stating that they were getting ready to place a repeater in service and now they have to reorder crystals or reprogram their repeaters. I like to work with others so if I can see that someone has a projected repeater planned, on a specified frequency, then I can reroute our project plan. Putting a projected date with a max of 90 days should work for most of us. If it's not up in 90 days it's not likely gonna be for the most part....

2: Can we have an avenue for more than one person to be assigned to a set of repeaters? I have need to allow a manager, or other chosen person, to be able to add, modify, or delete a repeater of ours when I'm not available to do so...

and, 3: Could there be a way to show "Linked" repeaters in a different color on the maps?

Thanks

Linking is the least of this guys issues, he claims to be building a nationwide GMRS network and plans to charge users for access. He also claims to have 150 repeaters in his shop with tower space, internet and linking hardware ready to go. Best part, hes a new license holder, checking his FRN on FCC shows hes not involved in any other type of radio and hes plastering the main site with tons of future repeaters. This is all sham and the FCC is already aware of him and looking into it. If his pay for play network is real hes in big trouble....... Not sure how long Rich is going to let this guy fill his site with fake networks and repeaters. I found the website, poor grammar and the page looks to be made in MS word and Paint.

http://www.usgmrsgroup.club/

Are you looking ot change the website or the forums ? I think there is a real need for the website to be able to be updated with inaccurate info (old repeater sites). As for the forum I think its good. I'll be honest I come here for GMRS only. I go to RR for ham or commercial stuff. Keeping somewhat on a single topis is good and think there is good balance here.

Yeah.. Allow users to easily mark a repeater as out of service.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How about, while using the Map feature to see repeaters in range of the current location, selecting a repeater on the map will show the coverage circles and approximate mileage instead of having to check the coverage for each individual repeater. Sometimes repeaters that are further away have better coverage than the closer ones because of setup.

I used to be able to see the USA map with all the repeaters circles appearing as you close in to an area. Seems it was over a year ago or longer. now I am only able to see a single repeaters circle at a time, not sure what changed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And maybe the ability to attach / upload larger images to a post? Sometimes pictures are used while getting or giving help. But, sometimes I can't resize enough, and, tinypic is tough sometimes.

If you use a PC, get Irfanview. It will resize just about any pic. No need to enhance the forum software.