New to GMRS got a Midland MXT275

RIPPER238

Hi all!

First post, and though i would consider my self new to GMRS i did get a GMRS license back in 2000 for a 5w radio from Radio Shack i used for a few years. Back when i first used my Radio Shack radio i was unaware there were repeaters or how they worked. Its a shame there are no repeaters near me here in CT so i can get the gist of how to connect to them and how they work. I may have to get a repeater of my own just to figure it out. lol

I primarily got my MXT275 for off road use to communicate with friends and it seems to work well, i get about a mile range with hills and lots of houses around. I upgraded the antenna to a MXTA26 6db with the mag mount that i run on the roof of my 4Runner which seemed to help a lot with the hills. 

Anyway. Good to be here and i look forward to learning. 

Welcome to the forum...  as an older newbie, I got my first repeater (VRX-7000) the other week.  Learning a lot and meeting new and helpful folks.  You are in the right place... read as much as you can, ask questions.  In my case I would PM a poster to go deeper without boring others with my simple questions.  I have a few "go to coaches and mentors".

Jack

P.S.  Does anyone know where I can get a dealer manual for the VRX-7000.  I have the consumer manual but does not go as deep as the software does running the exe in -D mode.  Thanks.

Thanks for the Welcome guys!

Ill have to check out the VRX-7000. Looks like an easy repeater that is simple with out having to build my own. 

Quick question. Thinking of getting a 5 watt handheld for my spotter or other who may need to communicate with me. Seems the Wouxun KG-805G is one of the few true 5 watt units i can get easily new. Anything better or on par i should look at? Also thinking Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO

​Also having a tough time understanding how to connect to a repeater since i don't see the chanel listed and the MXT275 has codes that are not the same as what it looks like the repeater is. 

Ill have to check out the VRX-7000. Looks like an easy repeater that is simple with out having to build my own. 

Quick question. Thinking of getting a 5 watt handheld for my spotter or other who may need to communicate with me. Seems the Wouxun KG-805G is one of the few true 5 watt units i can get easily new. Anything better or on par i should look at? Also thinking Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO. 

​Also having a tough time understanding how to connect to a repeater since i don't see the chanel listed and the MXT275 has codes that are not the same as what it looks like the repeater is. 

This article helped me.

https://www.k0tfu.org/reference/frs-gmrs-privacy-codes-demystified.html

This HT is a good bang for the buck radio.

https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-gm-30

If I remember right, midland labels the repeater channels as 15r-22r, though you do need to enable them in the menu.

On the tones, midland matches the different tones to a code; you have to look for the table in the manual for the code you want, and see which code that is.

Thanks. Yes, i figured out how to enable them. But the "tones" are channels or frequencies? If i find a repeater listed it doesn't say what channel so i guess i match the frequency that matches the chanel? But then i have to select some secondary number for the CTCSS & DCS which i have no idea what that is or where to find it for the repeater? 

It looks like for the CTCSS it has a code that corresponds to a frequency. How would i find that frequency since the only frequency they show is something like 462.625 which i assume is chanel RP18 but no CTCSS code? 

You would have to know what the tones are.

For example, my family and I use 100.0 for the low power channel, and 462 high power and repeater channels.

This translates in my Cobra FRS radios to CTCSS number 12.

The book should have a list for the codes and how they correspond in the radio.

So if you wanted to get in my local and repeater channels, you would use channel 15, and channel 15 repeater and whatever code number the chart has for 100.00

I got my VRX-7000 from https://www.ebay.com/sch/refitradio/m.html?ssPageName= and looks like price is up... You will need a programing cable and software with a PC with Window XP and above.

I have TWO 805G and one new 905G... get the 905G is a great radio with group scanning... well worth the $30 over the 805G (which is $80 and 905G is $110).. The extra $30 you will thank me later...  Or you can buy one of my 805G at $70... joking... I like the 805G for the kids to us on FRS.

I can not help you with Midland products... all I know is they have issues with repeaters.  

So if you get a 805G or 905G, I can help you and show you how to connect to a repeater with permission from owner... Just PM me and we can talk and share config files... If you get either 805G or 905G get the following... https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html  Just so you know I personally have had issues with a a 805G but later to see I did not do setup correctly, and BTWR said return it and they will replace it... but I found I screwed up the config file and reinstalled the factory file and all was well...  So happy that they stand behind there products they are dealer for with someone like me who screwed up the config file.  I also get all my accessories from them...  

If you want, we can have a phone conversation, just PM you phone number and best two dates and times for me to call you so we can spend time to got answer to your question...  

I'm a Newbie back in Nov and learned a lot from this forum and have some great coaches and mentors..  Way above my pay grade.  So I can answer the easy questions.  Just so you know I have 10 plus Newbies that I was able to help them get the knowledge so they could make the decision they needs for them and family on products, what there plans are.

Jack

Quick question. Thinking of getting a 5 watt handheld for my spotter or other who may need to communicate with me. Seems the Wouxun KG-805G is one of the few true 5 watt units i can get easily new. Anything better or on par i should look at? Also thinking Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO. 

Thanks. Yes, i figured out how to enable them. But the "tones" are channels or frequencies? If i find a repeater listed it doesn't say what channel so i guess i match the frequency that matches the chanel? But then i have to select some secondary number for the CTCSS & DCS which i have no idea what that is or where to find it for the repeater? 

It looks like for the CTCSS it has a code that corresponds to a frequency. How would i find that frequency since the only frequency they show is something like 462.625 which i assume is chanel RP18 but no CTCSS code? 

i had a long reply typed out earlier, but missed clicking to post it :wacko:  ..wrcy896 covered most of it.

if you're logged into the main page (it's separate from the forum, last i checked, but you can use the same login & password for both), if a repeater is listed as open, it should show the input and output frequencies (which you'll equate to channels on the radio), and input and output tones (which you'll take to the tone charts in the manual to see which code you need to enter in the menu). the 'repeater' channels on the radio are set up with the appropriate offset between transmit and receive.

for example, if i want to use an open repeater with an output of 462.625, input of 467.625, and input/output tones of 141.3:

1. the table on page 27 shows that to be channel 18RP, so i'll tune to that
  2. then, go to the table on page 28 and look for 141.3 (it's ctcss) and find this equates to ctcss code 22
  3. with the radio on 18rp, go into the menu setting for tones, select CT, select code 22, and save.

mxt275 is online in pdf form here: https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/MXT275-Owners-Manual.pdf

does this make it all a little clearer?

Repeaters that use split tones can be a challenge for the mxt-275. Split tones are when a repeater uses a different tx tone than the rx tone. Many repeaters in my area will use the same input/output tones, but there are some that use split tones. Sadly, you can't program for split tones with the 275. You can, however, turn the squelch off (turn on monitor button). You have to listen to static, but you'll hear the rx transmission. I turn both speakers on and key the mike so that just the power unit's speaker is on so the static isn't so annoying. Word has it the soon to be available MXT-575 will fix this. 

Thank you all for the helpful info.

i had a long reply typed out earlier, but missed clicking to post it :wacko:  ..wrcy896 covered most of it.

if you're logged into the main page (it's separate from the forum, last i checked, but you can use the same login & password for both), if a repeater is listed as open, it should show the input and output frequencies (which you'll equate to channels on the radio), and input and output tones (which you'll take to the tone charts in the manual to see which code you need to enter in the menu). the 'repeater' channels on the radio are set up with the appropriate offset between transmit and receive.

for example, if i want to use an open repeater with an output of 462.625, input of 467.625, and input/output tones of 141.3:

1. the table on page 27 shows that to be channel 18RP, so i'll tune to that
  2. then, go to the table on page 28 and look for 141.3 (it's ctcss) and find this equates to ctcss code 22
  3. with the radio on 18rp, go into the menu setting for tones, select CT, select code 22, and save.

mxt275 is online in pdf form here: https://midlandusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/MXT275-Owners-Manual.pdf

does this make it all a little clearer?

Yes, thank you so much. I looked up a couple on the main page. Only showed 462.625 or the like for a frequency and most only showed one frequency and didn't show a CTCSS frequency to look up? I guess they may all use the same input and output or they are mostly defunct repeaters.....

Well it looks like its the CT repeaters just suck and most are defunct. lol  

Found one in NC and he provided all the info "Repeater users are encouraged to use 462.550 PL tone of 141.3" So i assume if i was to connect to that (if in NC) it would be 462.550=15RP and tone would be 141.3=22. 

Thank you all for the helpful info.

Yes, thank you so much. I looked up a couple on the main page. Only showed 462.625 or the like for a frequency and most only showed one frequency and didn't show a CTCSS frequency to look up? I guess they may all use the same input and output or they are mostly defunct repeaters.....

Well it looks like its the CT repeaters just suck and most are defunct. lol

Found one in NC and he provided all the info "Repeater users are encouraged to use 462.550 PL tone of 141.3" So i assume if i was to connect to that (if in NC) it would be 462.550=15RP and tone would be 141.3=22.

Yep, you got it.

Unfortunately, there are issues with outdated repeaters in the database, either defunct or listings not maintained. My area of california has a few as well.

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, RIPPER238 said:

I primarily got my MXT275 for off road use to communicate with friends and it seems to work well, i get about a mile range with hills and lots of houses around. I upgraded the antenna to a MXTA26 6db with the mag mount that i run on the roof of my 4Runner which seemed to help a lot with the hills. 

I am glad you are enjoying your radio. I also have that same model on my Impala with the same antenna. It is my wife's primary vehicle and I have shown her how to use it. It is a great radio for a small setup that is easy to use.