Wouxun KG-1000G tips and tricks thread

Sbsyncro

Question

After posting to someone else's thread and realizing I hijacked his thread about scanning, I figured I'd start a new thread with cool "tips and tricks" that people have discovered with their new KG-1000G radios.   Perhaps we can also use this thread as a "does anyone know how to..." for the KG-1000G.  It will also be an interesting read for anyone considering this radio, since it will hopefully eventually contain a lot of detailed info about how specific features are implemented.

I'll start with this one (cross-posted from the other thread - if someone can tell me how do delete that other post, I will be glad to do so!):

Quickly adding a "privacy tone" that others are using on blister pack radios

My Jeep and I were in a parade over the weekend for a couple of WWII vets that were celebrating birthdays (97 and 100!).  The organizers were on GMRS/FRS HTs and I asked what channel they were on.  "Channel 7 with privacy channel 35" he told me.  Not knowing which brand radios they were using nor remembering off the top of my head which frequency corresponds to "privacy code 35" on most radios, I was able to use the Menu [41] "SC-CTC" option (which I've programmed to Key C) to "grab" their PL frequency and then save it to my radio on channel 7 within about 30 seconds.  Super handy if you're needing to inter-operate with people on Motorola, Midland, or Cobra radios and using "privacy channels".  Note: If you want to be able to RX and Tx with the tone, you need to also change the default setting for Menu [40] "SC-QT" from DECODER to ALL.  

Pretty neat feature that saved me the stress of having to manually look up possible tones and then program them via FPP while the parade was starting...

15 hours ago, Sbsyncro said:

Following back up on this thread.   I thought the replacement mic had made things better, but alas, a weekend trip with my local Jeep club proved that this radio has a lot of problems.  The most persistent issue is the static and popping that I mentioned earlier.  Another issue is that it sometimes doesn't start transmitting for 3 to 5 seconds after I key the mic!   Other times it begins transmitting very quietly, then goes to full gain.   

When I got home I tested some scenarios with HTs:  
•    I tried changing the power lead, re-routing directly to the battery.  No improvement
•    Tried two different antennas but same coax.  Same problem with both.
•    I used a mag mount antenna with different coax – no improvement.

My last and final test was to install a spare radio (A Radioddity DB20-G) using the same power and antenna connections as the ones giving me problems with the Wouxun.   The radio operates without static, pops, or noise on the transmissions, confirming that the problem follows the Wouxun KG1000G and not another variable.

Luckily BTWR has EXCELLENT customer service (I mean really, really good!) and they responded to my email within an hour or two and sent me a return shipping label so that they can test the radio.  I'm sending it back to them this week.

Yes the company is great on help, advice and product support. You will like the radio once all of the bugs for your radio fixed. Glad they are taking care of the issue for you.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:53 AM, mbrun said:

Love it; so much so that I bought a license for multiple radio models I own. Editing, copy and pasting, importing and exporting are more intuitive and more to my liking. With license for multiple radios I can readily share channel settings between multiple radios.

There are a few niceties that Chirp has that RTS does not have that I wish it did have (like hiding unused channels) but RTS is supported software.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Is there programming cable any different than the one I purchased with the unit?

I am guessing not and only need the software.

Is there programming cable any different than the one I purchased with the unit?
I am guessing not and only need the software.

Sadly, yes you will need the RTS cable. Not sure exactly what they are doing and why though. Although I can use the Wouxun cable without issue with the factory software, that cable was not recognized by RTS software. There may be some trick to getting it work. I just did not feel like playing with it to figure it out.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Reviewing the manual, I don't see how to assign a specific function through the software to one of the three Keys , (A,B,or C)?

The operation performed by the Function Keys A, B and C on top of the radio are changed by altering the settings of Menu Function 48, 49, and 50. (Example: Press , then scroll to the setting you want to assign to the button, .

Hope that helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

9 hours ago, mbrun said:

The operation performed by the Function Keys A, B and C on top of the radio are changed by altering the settings of Menu Function 48, 49, and 50. (Example: Press

Thanks, that I realize, I just don't see it in the programming software.

Here is a tip/trick we discovered last week getting 2 KG9000G's setup as a repeater.    It was super simple to setup if you watched the video from BuyTwoWayRadios.com or NotARubicon.   However one thing we noticed was we did not have a repeater tail.   This is disturbing because when you put a call out there you don't know if the repeater is up or not.   We found a strange menu option in the advanced settings called Repeat Hold Timer.  Here is what the manual says:

Repeat Hold Timer (Programming Software Only) The Repeating Hold Timer is used to prevent the PTT from being used to transmit too frequently. When the PTT on the radio is released after transmitting in repeater mode, the hold time prevents the unit from transmitting for a predermined interval while waiting for a response. If no valid QT/DQT is detected within the hold time, the transmitter will release the hold and allow the PTT to transmit. The repeating hold timer sets the hold time for the transmitter to resume transmitting 100ms-5000ms (5 seconds) after the received QT/DQT signal disappears. This function is only accessible and configured through the KG-1000G programming software.

We were skeptical but we ordered the RT Systems cable and software and put in 700 milliseconds for this value in the software on the transmitter radio and now we have a tail.    Very useful. 

Inkedkg9000g_LI.jpg.aae37c28d2d93a16128131bccb7baf7f.jpg

@rayep

On 5/9/2021 at 9:04 PM, mbrun said:

I have spent some time today investigating the pinouts and behavior of the RJ45 connections on the radio for the purpose of integrating with other things. I have also messaged BTWR to ask for the official information. I will post the results here in the near future.

One think I discovered today is what I consider to be an error in the manual. The pin numbers used in the manual for the RJ45 (8P8C) connector are backwards from the standard. So if you make you own cable and reverse the conductors based on the standard pin numbers, the cable will be incorrect. If using the standard pin numbers, Pins 5 and 7 need to be reversed end to end, not 2 and 4 as indicated in the manual. However, if you follow the graphic in the manual you will be fine.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Edit: Here are the current pinout findings.

b63e7c0cda896dd1e7c7f4d081102403.png

b9ad116e7a5c3f04bc496c75c15aeb2b.png

Mbrun, Did you ever confirm this pinout?

I'm think that a circuit board could be designed to connect to both the Tx and Rx and a Pi to allow the KG1000G based repeater to connect to a network. Would have to work out the details.

Mbrun, Did you ever confirm this pinout?
I'm think that a circuit board could be designed to connect to both the Tx and Rx and a Pi to allow the KG1000G based repeater to connect to a network. Would have to work out the details.

No, I do not have definitive details on the pins labeled as ‘TBD’. On the mic connector, I expect those pins are used for signaling from the keypad keys and microphone audio.

I feel very confident you could readily interface the programming ports from a repeater-pair of these radios to a Pi for the purpose you describe. What is the purpose of board you describe? Do you have some onboard functionality in mind?

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I was thinking how I would join a GMRS network with my KG1000G based repeater.

The signals that go between the two KG1000G have all the signals (I believe) to create a network interface.

Today

Rx Radio -------------------------------------Tx Radio

Mod

Rx Radio--------------------Network Tap---------------------Tx Radio

|

|

Repeater link(Pi)

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle?variant=31428894785571

I would have to design the Network Tap. Would be a box with 3 RJ45 type connectors (what the radios use) and a bit of circuitry.

Thoughts?

I was thinking how I would join a GMRS network with my KG1000G based repeater.
The signals that go between the two KG1000G have all the signals (I believe) to create a network interface.
Today
Rx Radio -------------------------------------Tx Radio

Mod
Rx Radio--------------------Network Tap---------------------Tx Radio
                                                       |
                                                       |
                                         Repeater link(Pi)
https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeaters-and-accessories/products/repeater-linking-bundle?variant=31428894785571
I would have to design the Network Tap. Would be a box with 3 RJ45 type connectors (what the radios use) and a bit of circuitry.
Thoughts?

Got it. Yes you can do that. For proper control over the radio I would expect the electronics interface to have the ability to regulate the flow of audio from one radio to the next so that when the someone is talking remotely over the network that the local receiver’s audio and COR are ignored, so that when someone is talking locally audio is passed through to the transmitter, and so CW can be injected/mixed with audio from either network or local receiver to comply with station identification requirements.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

From the stated frequencies listed, the 1000G should be able to tune in the frequencies of the ISS, or am I mistaken?
https://www.ariss.org/current-status-of-iss-stations.html
https://www.ariss.org/contact-the-iss.html

I gave it a quick test, nothing.

Really a topic for a separate thread in the ham/amateur radio forum. Yes, the 1000G will allow you to listen, but you will not likely have any success listening using a vertical antenna.

Because the ISS is moving, and because it is overhead, you will at minimum need a handheld yagi antenna (or perhaps an articulating stand-mounted yagi) that can be aimed at the station as it moves overhead. You will need to know where it is at a given point in time so you can indeed aim it in the correct direction. A satellite tracking app for your phone can be of some assistance here. I participated in an event this past summer where a radio club did just this.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Another quick tip that we discovered today on the KG1000G.  Once you program a tone (in the radio or via software), don't check it unless you know if it's digital or not.  I noticed that I was losing tone settings on some repeater channels and we finally figured out why; if you use the menu on the radio to check for a DCS tone and you had a CTCSS tone in there, just the act of checking that DCS is "off" will clear your CTCSS setting (and vice-versa).  This was frustrating and confusing until figured out.  Moral of the story, set it in software and then don't check it...trust the process. ;)

Another quick tip that we discovered today on the KG1000G.  Once you program a tone (in the radio or via software), don't check it unless you know if it's digital or not.  I noticed that I was losing tone settings on some repeater channels and we finally figured out why; if you use the menu on the radio to check for a DCS tone and you had a CTCSS tone in there, just the act of checking that DCS is "off" will clear your CTCSS setting (and vice-versa).  This was frustrating and confusing until figured out.  Moral of the story, set it in software and then don't check it...trust the process.

Very good point.

Pressing the ‘Menu’ button operates as the ‘Enter’ function when navigating the function menus on Wouxun radios. If one gets in the habit of only pressing ‘Menu’ only when intending to make a change and ‘Exit’ in all other cases the problem of upsetting the codes can be eliminated.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 12/3/2021 at 2:23 AM, billwil said:

Another quick tip that we discovered today on the KG1000G.  Once you program a tone (in the radio or via software), don't check it unless you know if it's digital or not.  I noticed that I was losing tone settings on some repeater channels and we finally figured out why; if you use the menu on the radio to check for a DCS tone and you had a CTCSS tone in there, just the act of checking that DCS is "off" will clear your CTCSS setting (and vice-versa).  This was frustrating and confusing until figured out.  Moral of the story, set it in software and then don't check it...trust the process. ;)

I discovered the exact same issue when I was on a net this week on my portable, KG-935G. I am starting to think this was a software bug. Glad I had a backup and was able to restore after trying to figure it out; this must me a Wouxun thing (or a bug) as it happens on other devices they make.

Tip: this was somewhat mentioned here in the thread, but you can use at least a 50 foot modified network cable to run this with the head very far from the actual radio.

For example, I'm using this in my home, I have an antenna on the roof that comes down with a 50 foot lmr400 to a polyphaser attached to service ground and then into the basement.  I have the business end of the radio connected to the end of that antenna lead right as soon as it comes into the basement, then the 50' modified network cable running across the basement up into my office where the head unit is.  Power to the radio is running off a 900 watt, 12v server power supply (KG-1000g shows 12.34v upon startup)...that's controlled by a wifi outlet to turn on/off the power supply remotely without having to go down into the basement.

48 minutes ago, HCCFCA said:

Reviving this KG1000 thread... I did a search but couldn't find a thread on this.

I have several repeaters operating on the same channel but in different locations.  Is it possible to program multiple repeaters operating on the same channel using only the radio/mic keypad? Is there a step-by-step for this? 

If software is needed, I would need something that works on a MAC. Does that animal exist?

Generally speaking most CCR software runs on Windows only.

Some radios, but not this one, can be programmed with CHIRP, which will run on a Mac.

Ultimately, you can run Windows on a Mac in emulation to program your radio; I run Windows XP and Windows 10 in Parallels, on my Mac.