Great news! $35 fee for GMRS license for those up for renewal and those on the fence....

MacJack

I heard there may also be a $35 filing fee (This was meant for all licenses, LMR, ham, and GMRS)

And just found it, "The $35 cost-based fee we adopt for mostly automated applications assumes that a relatively small number of these applications require staff direct labor. For administrative purposes (including that neither we nor applicants can reliably anticipate which applications will require such intervention), we assess this $35 fee on each applicant for mostly automated applications as identified throughout this order."

This was found under #10 and I believe this pertains to anyone who files for a new or renewed license. The $35 fee and $35 license cost would equal $70 still wouldn't it?

I heard there may also be a $35 filing fee (This was meant for all licenses, LMR, ham, and GMRS)

And just found it, "The $35 cost-based fee we adopt for mostly automated applications assumes that a relatively small number of these applications require staff direct labor. For administrative purposes (including that neither we nor applicants can reliably anticipate which applications will require such intervention), we assess this $35 fee on each applicant for mostly automated applications as identified throughout this order."

This was found under #10 and I believe this pertains to anyone who files for a new or renewed license. The $35 fee and $35 license cost would equal $70 still wouldn't it?

There is also information under #37& discussing that the fee was originally going to be $50, however was dropped to $35 as the process is mostly automated. There is also an area that discusses the new fees and what they are. It shows "New $35, Renew: $35 GMRS: Please refer to the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Fee Filing Guide for Information on the payment of an associated regulatory fee." So something tells me its not really going to be $35 only.

I'm reading the same lines, and my interpretation is there is a single $35 fee. We will see soon. At any rate, $7/year vs $3.5/year is not a big difference. Cost of good quality radios dwarfs this cost.

By all means I could be wrong which I guess I could have worded it better to be more of a question (Which it was meant to be kinda) To me, it would seem there is a $35 filing fee, then a $35 fee for the license. I do not know about the fee guide, and for all I know it could be $0 or it could remain at $70 which is why I mentioned the $35 fee I see seems to be for filing only, and may not be all the fees incurred.

There is no separate fee for filing. So a new or renewal GMRS license will be $35, period.

I was hoping to take and pass my Extra exam on April 26th, which now is one week too late to avoid the $35 fee for my upgrade to Extra...  :unsure:

Anxious to hear from the first one here to actually pay $35.. I'm like, uh-huh, sure... right!?

Looking forward to passing along the good news to my 4x4 club members (a few of whom went ahead at $70 in the past month).

An aside:  are any of the Midland HTs repeater capable and/or have removable antennas?

Just had a friend try to get his license, fee showed $70. This was before 8am east coast time. Please post if you hear any updates.

Thanks

WRAQ653

Hah!  I just walked through the app process to check and saw the same thing.  That was at 0830EDT.  I guess I wouldn't expect it to change anytime before 0900 anyway..

Edit:  It's now the 20th at 0450EDT and the fee is still $70.  I'll let someone else check in the future.

here is a copy and paste of the doc

OFFICE OF MANAGIING DIRECTOR ANNOUNCES EFFECTIVE DATE OF FY 2021 APPLICATION FEES ORDER

On March 19, 2021, the Commission published the Application Fee Report and Order in the Federal Register. 1 While the Application Fee Report and Order will generally become effective thirty days (30) from publication in the Federal Register (April 19, 2021), as explained in the Application Fee Report and Order, the new fee rates, sections 1.1102, 1.1103, 1.1104, 1.1105, 1.1106, 1.1107, and 1.1109 of the Commission’s rules, “will not take effect until the requisite notice has been provided to Congress, the FCC’s information technology systems and internal procedures have been updated, and the Commission publishes notice(s) in the Federal Register announcing the effective date of such rules.”2 The Commission will publish notices in the Federal Register that will identify when each application fee category will become effective. Please continue to monitor the FCC website for updates. For additional information on this proceeding, contact Roland Helvajian at Roland.Helvajian@fcc.gov of the Office of Managing Director.

-FCC

Yes, I looked tonight and still $70... Must be the bureaucrats holding it back... all the hoops are done.

Jack

Just had a friend try to get his license, fee showed $70. This was before 8am east coast time. Please post if you hear any updates.
Thanks

WRAQ653

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Terah said:

Applied online for mine on Thursday 4/21/22, paid $35 total.  Received the authorization and call sign on Friday morning.  Much quicker than the ham authorization process, which took over 10 days.

The ham licensing process is also dependent on the VEs and when they submit to the FCC. I took the ham tests at 7 pm one night and before I awoke the next morning my license was ready to print, so it can be quick.  However, I just got word that the fcc process for ham licenses is experiencing a glitch right now.