My 10m/20m buildout and installing the FTM400XDR.

kidphc

The Burb decided to become damn near dangerous to drive. Most of the possibilities for repair were going to cost what I paid for the truck. So I gave up on her.

Enter 200 Land Cruiser.

Got the FTM 400 installed. However, on GMRS frequencies I get hash. Even with squelch all the way up it breaks the squelch. So far with the engine off all accessories on no hash. Engine running is when it occurs. I even took out the BF8hp and can hear it when the engine is running and all the ham gear (radio, power pole distribution and Cell phone chargers unplugged).  Was trying to use the BF8HP as a locator but eh probably not the best radio for it. So the noise is not entering through the power leads, since it can be heard by the Baofeng.

Kinda, lost as where to go to find the source of this noise. Never thought I would have to do a fox hunt on my truck.

Any suggestions.

Does baofeng hear the hash with antenna removed? Maybe create a really poor receiving antenna out of piece of wire, that will receive the hash only when close to the source.
I'm curious, is the interference only in 462 MHz range, or on 70 cm as well?
Will try without the antenna. Only the gmrs frequencies. 70cm seams to be clear of the issue. Bounces around also so a chore to chase down.

Sometimes on channel 4 then channel 6 then it will be on 19 or 22. Killing me. Can be heard outside of the vehichle also with the radios.

Probably one of the modules probably a pwm module failing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Being GMRS channels are outside the amatuer band and the FTM is not certified for use I'd just use a dedicated GMRS radio . I dont seem to have that issue on RX only in my JT but YMMV.

It wouldn't matter if it is certified for gmrs when listening. The Baofeng gmrs v1 hears it as well.

It's more of trying to find the offending source of the rfi.

Could be anything. Brake system, injectors, PCM, even just running lights. It could also be any screens (radio, dash, etc)
Can the noise be heard on a permeant installed antenna on the roof, or is it just an HT inside the car?
Both. Fender mount antenna, ht inside and outside the truck.

Might have to pull fuse to find the offending system. Think I might pull out the sdr to see the spectrum a bit better then chasing channels.

Oh. Sigh.

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 8:57 AM, kidphc said:

Using stock, design the enclosure so everything was inside of 12" of each other.

Did you check to see if you have loose power connections?

Also make sure to run the firmware updates before install. I have been having issues with aprs, sometimes doesn't beacon. I see the packet in aprsdroid, just not on aprs.fi. starting to think it maybe a GPS lock issue on cold start.

The tarheel is what I had looked at for hf. Just with the controller and the antenna it would cost almost as much as say a ft917. So we'll outside of my budget especially as a tech with no hf privelages.

Would love a scorpion antenna, actually may die for one.....

Figured out my issue with the APRS not beaconing. DISCLAIMER> I do not have the latest firmware update. I think it is about 2 years old. Yaesu makes it a pain to update. In the sense you need to open the radio and flip DIN switches. Currently, the way the body is mounted in the Land cruiser, it would take some time to get the radio out.

HERE IS THE SHORT FIX CURRENTLY. I simply remove ALL power from the radio for a few seconds. Luckily, I installed quick disconnect breakers on the power lines from the aux battery to auxiliary (fused power pole box) distribution box. Because reaching the andersons power poles beneath the radio would be just as bad as removing the radio.

It's been a while. How did you fix your antenna bracket, and how has it been holding up?

I did a thing, Tarheel + Autocontroller + IC-705 got added to the wife's vehicle for vacation and trips.

PXL_20220430_181838836.thumb.jpg.4eb3811893a784be657a6162286469f0.jpg
Bought a newused truck. A 2000 landcruiser. Been swallowing all my time.

Tough moving all the radio gear and such over. It is so much smaller then the burb, with very little space to mount anything.

Congrats on getting the tarheel installed.

Switched to a Comet 2x4sr, on Marc's comments about the antenna. Probably going to switch the pod light and antenna location. The Larsen was better on the inside and got less interference on the GMRS frequencies there.

Bit bummed the wife bought me a Hustler 102" whip and hd spring. Had to return it, turns out the hatch mount was designed for 3-4 ft fiberglass whips. The mount is fine front to back but rocks side to side. So I think a 102" might be asking for torn sheet metal.a6d4bf640fc12666eeeed415a751aa69.jpg2f3794a49722bacfee0eff08a0f8241e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

More updates. GMRS related this time.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Wooxun 1000g. When a buddy said "Nope, how many radios you need". I was promptly n 24 hours handed 4x Motorola CDM1250 pre-configured for GMRS, new brackets, new hand mics, new power lines, new NMO with Motorola 162-174 1/4 wave antenna and a link to the CPS v12.05. Which began a hunt for the remote kit, remote head wiring and programming cable, thank you flea bay for 2 of 3. He turned me onto a retired fireman buddy (Thank you Mr. Keuchler). Whom had 2x original remote head kits at a great price. 2 days later they were in hand. Then began the procrastination and got side tracked looking for a EDC hand held.

Welp back to the truck.

Radio brick is mounted to a molle panel on the back window. Wires being routed and tucked behind as much stuff as possible.

S0i84hMm.jpgofWSDXrm.jpg

The radio head I chose to mount below the AC controls. Looks tight but I have a clear view when the truck is in drive. Originally, I had planned for the head to be above the FTM400XDR, but due to the chunkiness of the head and associated bracket I nixed the idea. The magnet mic was removed from the AT6666 (which I still need to install) new holes were drilled into the molle panel and the FTM400XDR mic moved to the new location. Not sure if I am a fan of this Motorola mic, its a bit big for my hands. I will have to look for a replacement. Other then that I might end up fabricating an L mount (again connected to the molle) to get the radio higher and more solidly mounted.

ni6XqNvm.jpg

Onto the fun part... F was it fun, no it wasn't. A 30 minute job turned into 2.5 hours of OMG WTF. After measuring 6x times from the edge of the sunroof to the end of the hatch. Moving the cross bar on the roof rack to a location I marked the pilot hole Took a deep breath, and started. Why all the measuring I was trying to avoid a cross beam roof support. Well as you tell by the long winded story, FAILURE. It went from smiles to cursing in seconds, as the drill slow down, with a lack of patience I got the pilot hole through the edge of the cross beam support, YES!!!!. NOPE.... Right through the dome light, which is  held on to the liner and roof with sheet metal though a different support. OH MY F GOD, you idiot. I hadn't removed the headliner, due to that being a 3 hour affair by itself, can we say Toyota overbuilt this truck in all aspects.

I had to grab a 90 Degree pneumatic drill and bore the hole out from underneath, then clip away some of the support mount to get a flush clean contacting with the NMO. Little did I know the back half of the roof has slope towards the rear, so the antenna when mounted looks crooked (antenna is bent a little so doesn't help) in combination with the forward cant of the 11m antenna looks terrible. No photos of the install, just too embarrassed and not my proudest nmo install. 

MMzuYyhm.jpg

On the way to replace the Larsen 2/70sh.  Are 2 antennas, Laird Technologies 450-470 1/4 wave and Laird Technologies 5/8 over 5/8 B4505CNS. I may consider a Laird Technologies B4502NS  1/2 wave, since the 1/2 is about 10" and the 1/4 is about 6" vs the 31 odd inches of the 5/8.

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

Wow!  You deserve an award of some kind.  I could feel your pain.  That also convinced me to use magnetic mounts on my 4Runner.

Mag mounts can work really well. I hate the rust spot it left on my Suburban after 2 months of use. Not to mention the pinched coax.

Personally, I say drill the hole. If in doubt, drill from the inside. It is harder to get accurate measurements, so it might no be centered properly but atleast you won't have my problem. I got lazy and paid for it.

If it works for you and you are ok with the compromises. Then you do you and blank out the nay sayers.