Equipment List (will be adding to)

Doctnj

Question

So handhelds came in last night and had a fun time seeing how far they could reach half charged.  I could not wait till they were fully charged.  Most rechargeable batteries are shipped between 30 and 50 % at least in the drone world.  Way better than expected even though.  Almost 3 miles with rolling small hills and trees.  KG-805G and NA-771G on top.  Wife was still in the house and I was in my truck so pretty nice.

Now the rest of the plan.  ----- What is already on order    JetStream 25 Amp switching power supply.  Tram 1486, Kg-100G radio, and for mobile, NL-770g, Tram 1296 mno-UHF adapter, Br-1258 UHF 3/4 inch hole mnt, comes w 17 ft coax. 

-----  What is about to be ordered   ROHN 28' MAST pushup, ROHN 24D WALL MOUNT, ROHN BASE, GROUND WIRE, GROUND ROD, GROUND WELD CLAMP, GOUNDING BAR, ALPHA DELTA UHF COAX SURGE PROTECTOR, GROUND COPPER WIRE,  COAX CONNECTOR WEATHER PROOFING TAPE,  ( not sold on guy wire etc ) since it goes up, it can come down or lower for storms.  Ill have to look at it, the mast is 28' max and I dont see going much past 20 if that.

For the coax Ill use will be the good stuff.  I need to do some measuring and figure out how many fittings I need plus 2 and how many feet of coax plus 5'

AND AN SWR METER  - but im not saying which one :)

So far for now.  Any suggestions excepts swr's welcomed                                       

No matter what I buy, someone will say it's wrong. LMR-400 will do the job just fine.

Yep, wrong is relative.

Even though I posted some information regarding the issues of LMR400, LMR400 is what I currently use for simplex, and it is what I would use (at least initially) if I did install a repeater at my residence.

The reason being, I need/want the flexibility to raise and lower my antenna, this requires flexibility. Further, as RadioGuy mentioned, not everyone will experience the issue. Some issues may not occur for many, many years, if at all. In many years I am likely to have changed setups, antennas or towers anyway so the existing stuff is probable to be obsolete or inappropriate for reuse anyway. Further, if I ran into an issue initially, I would merely repurpose my existing LMR400 for other simplex usages around the home and then spend the money for the HL. So I choose to defer the expense until it has been determined to provide material benefit.

Lastly, If I were doing an installation on a commercial tower site there is no doubt I would spend the extra money from the get-go. The insurance it would provide against costly third-party rework at the site is a no brainer IMO.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

So I ordered the tram 1486. Looking around I saw it shown with horizontal elements.  I ordered through another dealer and there are none in the pic.  I even did live chat and asked specifically about if it came with any and was told no and they weren't needed? See pics 

Screenshot_20210502-211228_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210502-211308_Chrome.jpg

So I ordered the tram 1486. Looking around I saw it shown with horizontal elements.  I ordered through another dealer and there are none in the pic.  I even did live chat and asked specifically about if it came with any and was told no and they weren't needed? See pics 
Screenshot_20210502-211228_Chrome.thumb.jpg.204f597bb53533373f9bf83de1ab55c8.jpg
Screenshot_20210502-211308_Chrome.thumb.jpg.059e6ebce4442236bf74718d4f87d680.jpg
The horizontal pieces are an artificial ground plane. Generally, most vertical perform better with a ground plane. That goes for even antennas marked as no groundplane antennas.

You get better swr matches when they are normally about 30-40 off angle from the horizontal axis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Doctnj said:

When I ordered my 1486 (about 3 weeks ago) the pic did not show any elements either, but it does come with them, and they should be used.

11 minutes ago, The_NotARubicon said:

When I ordered my 1486 (about 3 weeks ago) the pic did not show any elements either, but it does come with them, and they should be used.

That is what they told me this morning.  So very happy with that.  Im going to have to get the house power washed after work this week to buy time to put the antenna up this coming weekend lol.  

Another surprise, that company said that my order should be here tomorrow!! That's pretty exciting.  Have to call the tool rental place to see if they have the big hammer drill and adapter for ground rod.  I've never used one.  Just sledge. 

I think by Thursday my antenna gear should be here.  Just got back from getting a new soldering iron.  It was time.  Had my other since I was 20 years old. 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, Doctnj said:

Another surprise, that company said that my order should be here tomorrow!! That's pretty exciting.  Have to call the tool rental place to see if they have the big hammer drill and adapter for ground rod.  I've never used one.  Just sledge. 

I think by Thursday my antenna gear should be here.  Just got back from getting a new soldering iron.  It was time.  Had my other since I was 20 years old. 

Make sure you send us so photos...

So the only thing missing is the radio which should be here tomorrow!!! Have my box to be mounted outside by the mast. Grounding and surge protection. So ground rod in and going to use automatic weld joint on ground rod. 

Have mast ready to go, wall mounts and and base. 

LR400 and fittings. 

Took the antenna and trimmed it to within 1/4" to the final lengths in three sections. We will see what the swr says. 

As far as the mast goes I'm going to clamp ground wire to all three sections. 

20210510_192217.jpg

20210510_192227.jpg

20210510_192239.jpg

20210510_192326.jpg

20210510_192357.jpg

So Ive been working on installing the radio kg1000g in my house as a base station first.  After this I will get it installed or install it in truck so I can go back and forth with it.  

First thing I accomplished was putting together a box on the outside wall where the surge protection is located and ground plate will go directly to ground as will antenna.

Last night I mounted the box and planted the base of the mast in the ground and checked it for plumb and also have ground rod in.  

I decided I would use my radio in my reloading room so I can listen to it while loading which is actually getting less and less these days.  The only time I wont be able to is when using electronic scales to measure powder.  The EMF would kill those scales.  I dont even take my cell phone when loading for match shooting.

Ok so now I just have to drill a hole through the wall into the top of the wall in the basement.  Its a walk out basement so this location is a couple feet above grade.  I chose to use the level of the gas line at the other end of the side of the house to get an idea where this would come through the wall.  Ok seems straight forward.  So I got out the extension cords and my hammer drill and went to work.  By the end of the first evening I quit after drilling a 6" deep hole.  I could not find my long drill bit.  No problem, Ill stop by the hardware store on the way home and pick up a couple masonry long drill bits.   So at the end of evening # 2 is when I had the junction box up and the mast base set and the hole..... well it was as deep as the long bit would take me and still was not through the wall.  I dont like to work while frustrated so I stopped for the evening.   However I went around to garage to get a better measurement of the thickness of the brick and poured concrete on inside of brick.  Looks like I was about an inch and half short of going through.  If I could tell exactly where it was I could drill from the inside but I couldnt tell for sure where it was inside a three inch area.  So I ordered an 18" masonry bit that will be delivered Saturday.  Meanwhile I work on setting up mast and getting measurement of coax to junction box and get connectors on and do some swr testing and trimming.  The chief household engineer wants the mast painted to blend in with the outside wall and part of the mast above the gutter painted shingle color.  Hey if the chief is happy Im happy :)    

It almost never fails when I think through an entire project and order everything I will "need", there is always that THING that trashes my plan.  

So Ive been working on installing the radio kg1000g in my house as a base station first.  After this I will get it installed or install it in truck so I can go back and forth with it.  
First thing I accomplished was putting together a box on the outside wall where the surge protection is located and ground plate will go directly to ground as will antenna.
Last night I mounted the box and planted the base of the mast in the ground and checked it for plumb and also have ground rod in.  
I decided I would use my radio in my reloading room so I can listen to it while loading which is actually getting less and less these days.  The only time I wont be able to is when using electronic scales to measure powder.  The EMF would kill those scales.  I dont even take my cell phone when loading for match shooting.
Ok so now I just have to drill a hole through the wall into the top of the wall in the basement.  Its a walk out basement so this location is a couple feet above grade.  I chose to use the level of the gas line at the other end of the side of the house to get an idea where this would come through the wall.  Ok seems straight forward.  So I got out the extension cords and my hammer drill and went to work.  By the end of the first evening I quit after drilling a 6" deep hole.  I could not find my long drill bit.  No problem, Ill stop by the hardware store on the way home and pick up a couple masonry long drill bits.   So at the end of evening # 2 is when I had the junction box up and the mast base set and the hole..... well it was as deep as the long bit would take me and still was not through the wall.  I dont like to work while frustrated so I stopped for the evening.   However I went around to garage to get a better measurement of the thickness of the brick and poured concrete on inside of brick.  Looks like I was about an inch and half short of going through.  If I could tell exactly where it was I could drill from the inside but I couldnt tell for sure where it was inside a three inch area.  So I ordered an 18" masonry bit that will be delivered Saturday.  Meanwhile I work on setting up mast and getting measurement of coax to junction box and get connectors on and do some swr testing and trimming.  The chief household engineer wants the mast painted to blend in with the outside wall and part of the mast above the gutter painted shingle color.  Hey if the chief is happy Im happy     
It almost never fails when I think through an entire project and order everything I will "need", there is always that THING that trashes my plan.  
Your summary sounds about right.

I add multiple trips to the hardware store into my estimate for any type of renovation.

I like your approach trying to do it right. Hope you have some sealant and maybe a plastic shim, to keep it sealed and the coax not rubbing against bare concrete. It can be as bad as a sharp razor blade. Keep it up!

I look at an overall project and if there is a delay, what can I do in the meantime to keep the ball moving forward.  Well except for those nights where I just throw in the towel.  While waiting on the drill bit I thought well I can go ahead and measure the swr etc.  UH... no.  I just learned I need to order adapters for uhf.  Yes I went with a cheaper meter and really didnt study things closely enough to notice I couldnt put it in between the radio and antenna without an adapter that didnt come with the meter originally.   Ok they will be here sunday.  Yep!!

I need adapters so often that I broke down and bought a "universal" set of adapters. With these I can quickly create nearly any type of "adapter" I need. The center row are 'barrel connectors' to which you couple the end connectors you need:

https://www.amazon.com/ConnectoRF-Coaxial-Connector-Universal-Mini-UHF/dp/B079K65LHK/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_0/140-4570640-4443552?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079K65LHK&pd_rd_r=db665e20-f51b-49f8-b7d6-a9267569d48f&pd_rd_w=KxI8P&pd_rd_wg=qaIOK&pf_rd_p=a0d6e967-6561-454c-84f8-2ce2c92b79a6&pf_rd_r=SAZWX4YT39N8BF8JRSFB&psc=1&refRID=SAZWX4YT39N8BF8JRSFB

HGGn2.png

On 5/10/2021 at 9:36 PM, Doctnj said:

So the only thing missing is the radio which should be here tomorrow!!! Have my box to be mounted outside by the mast. Grounding and surge protection. So ground rod in and going to use automatic weld joint on ground rod. 

Have mast ready to go, wall mounts and and base. 

LR400 and fittings. 

Took the antenna and trimmed it to within 1/4" to the final lengths in three sections. We will see what the swr says. 

As far as the mast goes I'm going to clamp ground wire to all three sections. 

Nice photos thanks Doctnj.

Jack

8 hours ago, Doctnj said:

Ok so now I just have to drill a hole through the wall into the top of the wall in the basement.  Its a walk out basement so this location is a couple feet above grade.  I chose to use the level of the gas line at the other end of the side of the house to get an idea where this would come through the wall.  Ok seems straight forward.  So I got out the extension cords and my hammer drill and went to work.  By the end of the first evening I quit after drilling a 6" deep hole.  I could not find my long drill bit.  No problem, Ill stop by the hardware store on the way home and pick up a couple masonry long drill bits.   So at the end of evening # 2 is when I had the junction box up and the mast base set and the hole..... well it was as deep as the long bit would take me and still was not through the wall.  I dont like to work while frustrated so I stopped for the evening.   However I went around to garage to get a better measurement of the thickness of the brick and poured concrete on inside of brick.  Looks like I was about an inch and half short of going through.  If I could tell exactly where it was I could drill from the inside but I couldnt tell for sure where it was inside a three inch area.  So I ordered an 18" masonry bit that will be delivered Saturday.  Meanwhile I work on setting up mast and getting measurement of coax to junction box and get connectors on and do some swr testing and trimming.  The chief household engineer wants the mast painted to blend in with the outside wall and part of the mast above the gutter painted shingle color.  Hey if the chief is happy Im happy :)    

I do everything in N so as not to mess up...and I do have a set of universal adaptors...Have fun, sounds like you are well on your way.

Jack

Well got some things accomplished today before the rain hit.  FINALLY, made it all the way through the wall.  I was off a good inch in a half from where I was guessing it was coming through.  I put the mast up to decide on height.  I think the top of the mast will be at 21".  That will leave me some reserve if needed.  Since the chief household engineer required the mast to blend in,  I painted the mast in three areas to somewhat match the shingles, siding in the middle and brick at the bottom.  Swr adapters come tomorrow so I can put connectors on and finally start testing swr.  

I have two questions.  When testing swr does the antenna have to be at altitude or can it be upright at ground level?

Secondly, thinking more about going ahead and doing the truck install and if I did I think I would cut the pl 259 off and replace it after I get it routed and then put on a new one.  The coax is the thin rg-58 a/u .  Can someone give me a link for the proper 259 fitting I need to put back on if I do cut it off?

Thanks in advance

Well got some things accomplished today before the rain hit.  FINALLY, made it all the way through the wall.  I was off a good inch in a half from where I was guessing it was coming through.  I put the mast up to decide on height.  I think the top of the mast will be at 21".  That will leave me some reserve if needed.  Since the chief household engineer required the mast to blend in,  I painted the mast in three areas to somewhat match the shingles, siding in the middle and brick at the bottom.  Swr adapters come tomorrow so I can put connectors on and finally start testing swr.  
I have two questions.  When testing swr does the antenna have to be at altitude or can it be upright at ground level?
Secondly, thinking more about going ahead and doing the truck install and if I did I think I would cut the pl 259 off and replace it after I get it routed and then put on a new one.  The coax is the thin rg-58 a/u .  Can someone give me a link for the proper 259 fitting I need to put back on if I do cut it off?
Thanks in advance

Tune at final location. Yes, lots of up and down. Interactions with environment will cause affect tuning.

So239 = female
Pl259 = male

Your options are to crimp or solder.

For crimping you will want/need a crimper, cutter. You will need to know what size coax you are using. The $8 cutters take adjusting to get right, so I recommend you test the cust on scraps. If turn it the wrong direction is that the blades will chip and the cutter is useless. You can buy the times microwave cutter. Much nicer but $100, and you have to buy one for each cable size.

The ferrules (part you are crimping). Are the only real differences between cables. Order extras (ferrules connectors) in case you get a bad crimp.

Soldering have a good iron. It takes quite a bit of heat, especially with larger or well shielded cables.

My recommendation contact a ham club or a ham. Buy the ferrules. He'd probably do it for free to meet a radio guy.

Edited because I am home now.

Thanks for the guidance.  I specifically bought a new soldering iron. I've had one since I was a kid. It's so old I'd be worried it will catch fire :). Another hobby = more gear.  

I was talking to someone on the channel that is programmed for a repeater.  I was only using my handheld and it was shocking how far that repeater is. I plan to find out how to donate to that repeater for upkeep. I think it's really cool you guys are out there! 

3 hours ago, kidphc said:

Tune at final location. Yes, lots of up and down. Interactions with environment will cause affect tuning.

So239 = female
Pl259 = male

For crimping you will want/need a crimper, cutter. You will need to know what size coax you are using. The $8 cutters take adjusting to get right, so I recommend you test the cust on scraps. If turn it the wrong direction is that the blades will chip and the cutter is useless. You can buy the times microwave cutter. Much nicer but $100, and you have to buy one for each cable size.

The ferrules (part you are crimping). Are the only real differences between cables. Order extras (ferrules connectors) in case you get a bad crimp.

Soldering have a good iron. It takes quite a bit of heat, especially with larger or well shielded cables.

My recommendation contact a ham club or a ham. Buy the ferrules. He'd probably do it for free to meet a radio guy.

I know your pain on getting "architectural approval" from wife, but I own the house...  O well, we are happy.  So I did a temp setup on the deck rail and did my SWR...  came in 1:1... using high lose cable.  I get my cables from https://www.showmecables.com so my next step is move antenna from deck to top of chimney but first will meansure for cable length and get the correct cable for that run and for minimal loss with end put on using N connection.    So I will have a run down from the chimney the connect to a lighting arrestor, then another length from here to through the wall to the radio.  I figure I will have over 125 feet cable run as it will be over 100 feet up from ground level (three story house over 2300 feet on mountain).

Jack

P.S.  I like your journaling of your advantages, we are on the same phase of the process.

IMG_6859.jpeg

IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6861.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

Took a Vet friend out to the range for some R & R so didnt get an early start.  About to get things rolling.  

Im pretty sure my father probably did  a cartwheel in his grave seeing my first solder job in years lol.  I started over three times.  Its pretty ugly but there is no continuity between the center conductor and ground so Im calling an ugly dog a success for now..  About to put the antenna up and get to testing.

And no I wont show a pic of it otherwise I would have to cut it off and start over again :) 

Got it up and running!!  So I had two of my soldered connections in line lol.  On high power channel the swr showed 1.54 : 1. On low channel it showed 1.03:1. Would you even bother trying to improve it?  I am not finished complete install yet.  I have to put up one more brace and run grounds and snug up some screws so it has to come down one more time any how.  The antenna is in three pieces and I stopped a quarter or just under on each segment or so I thought. 

20210516_171941.thumb.jpg.b3781f5c9ef59156bdc985c22af77608.jpg20210516_172031.thumb.jpg.970837449d0f4fe3e665acc252f1336c.jpg

On 5/15/2021 at 2:19 PM, kidphc said:

So239 = female
Pl259 = male

20210516_172020.jpg

Got it up and running!!  So I had two of my soldered connections in line lol.  On high power channel the swr showed 1.54 : 1. On low channel it showed 1.03:1. Would you even bother trying to improve it?  I am not finished complete install yet.  I have to put up one more brace and run grounds and snug up some screws so it has to come down one more time any how.  The antenna is in three pieces and I stopped a quarter or just under on each segment or so I thought. 
20210516_171941.thumb.jpg.b3781f5c9ef59156bdc985c22af77608.jpg20210516_172031.thumb.jpg.970837449d0f4fe3e665acc252f1336c.jpg
20210516_172020.thumb.jpg.752cd8fb6594dabad212d44b1836d4a3.jpg
Depends on how easy it is to tune. Personally yes. Also depends on what channel you will be using the most.