Is There A Road Channel For GMRS?

Not trying to be snipey here, but it's because there is no generally agreed upon channel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against 20.  I'm hoping it becomes the undisputed calling king of what turns out to be very busy GMRS airways.  I'm just saying, by virtue of the fact so many people don't "know" and we are discussing it, don't you think it's still a bit of an unknown?  Saying "I declare it so" or seeing it on some other forum from some guy who says so doesn't make it so.  

I was joking about 19, but I now officially support 20 for a "road" channel.  I hope it succeeds.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, scootle said:

For what it's worth, this is what the RR wiki has to say about it in two places:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Family_Radio_Service#Recognized_Channels

image.png.6ba13fb762426ac27a10b922e98fdc8c.png

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/General_Mobile_Radio_Service#Recognized_Channel_Usage

image.thumb.png.f597d7a27afd352ce23b76f3775624a1.png

Beats me if there is actual general adoption of any of the above, as GMRS is typically just casual/local type comms for caravans and families in most situations, as many have pointed out.

Interesting thread though!

I don't believe this matter will truly be resolved until resolved by a recognized authority on this subject. The information posted above on the Radio Reference page is as close to a recognized authority as any other that I've seen, so rather than try to reinvent the wheel, I'll generally follow their recommendation of using channel 20 for traveling.

I would place a sign in my back window for "GMRS Ch. 20" if I wanted to let other travelers know how to contact me. That's what a lot of CBers did back in the day to let others know what channel they were using, and what I've seen a few hams do also.

If traveling off-highway with other vehicles, I do like the idea of using channel 16, since it is the product of 4x4. Years ago, we used CB channel 4 most of the time, since we were "4" wheeling. Whatever channel to use would be something that could be decided within the group, however, and could change due to other radio traffic, or if some users only had FRS radios.

3 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

The issue with GMRS20 is what defines 20. My license doesn't show GMRS 20. So for many of us with true GMRS radios we only have 8 GMRS only channels. I get the idea but not all radios are programmed identical. I know they should be but not always....

Wait a minute? You said your "license doesn't show GMRS 20?" Perhaps you are referring to your radio? That leads me to another question, what is a true GMRS radio? Are you talking about the Part 90 vs Part 95 situation...which is something that I am still wrapping my head around.

The most official designation of frequencies as channel numbers that I have every found comes from here:

§ 95.563 FRS channels.

The FRS is allotted 22 channels, each having a channel bandwidth of 12.5 kHz. All of the FRS channels are also allotted to the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) on a shared basis. The FRS channel center frequencies are set forth in the following table:

1 ................................................ 462.5625 2 ................................................ 462.5875 3 ................................................ 462.6125 4 ................................................ 462.6375 5 ................................................ 462.6625 6 ................................................ 462.6875 7 ................................................ 462.7125 8 ................................................ 467.5625 9 ................................................ 467.5875 10 .............................................. 467.6125 11 .............................................. 467.6375 12 .............................................. 467.6625 13 .............................................. 467.6875 14 .............................................. 467.7125 15 .............................................. 462.5500 16 .............................................. 462.5750 17 .............................................. 462.6000 18 .............................................. 462.6250 19 .............................................. 462.6500 20 .............................................. 462.6750 21 .............................................. 462.7000 22 .............................................. 462.7250

And here

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=biZxuanIfZOUqdjvLHdsyw%3D%3D&desc=888861%20D01%20Part%2095%20GMRS%20FRS%20v01&tracking_number=239603

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.563

Although within part 95e, standard channel number are not defined as they are in the FRS, it does seem logical that since they are defined for FRS and both services share 22 of the same frequencies that there is a logical numeric correlation that can (as has) been made between the two.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Where on your license does it say GMRS 20. No where does it list frequencies any longer (As reference my old one did)

It specifies - "Effective 2/16/99 the GMRS rules have been amended and you may operate on any of the primary or interstitial channels shown in section 95.1763. Exception: Licensees who operate North of Line A and East of Line C may not operate on channels 462.650 MHZ,467.650 MHZ, 462.700 MHZ and 467.700 MHZ unless your previous license authorized such operations."

Additionally going to the FCC site for this section does list frequencies. No numbers.

https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

As for radios I realize a lot of the new stuff does go by a certain scheme but I have quite a few old Uniden GMRS radios. They have channel 1-8 with RPT/TA. That's all we had for years and many of the older GMRS radios were like this. When I started SAR channel 1 in our radios was 462.675 as that was the local channel they used. Took us many years to go to the national standard of VHF and real licenses. 

In the end we are talking about something that is not needed nor will ever come to be. We seem to keep looking for solutions for problems that there is not. If your traveling down the highway and want to talk to someone leave the radio in scan. I have radios in all my vehicles including my motorhome. While I don't hear a ton anymore if i need real info im looking to turn up my CB and not my GMRS radio. Normally I I'm stuck in a backup that's where info is. If there is chatter on GMRS its normally FRS users talking to the car in front of them.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2021 at 6:20 AM, kb2ztx said:

Where on your license does it say GMRS 20. No where does it list frequencies any longer (As reference my old one did)

It specifies - "Effective 2/16/99 the GMRS rules have been amended and you may operate on any of the primary or interstitial channels shown in section 95.1763. Exception: Licensees who operate North of Line A and East of Line C may not operate on channels 462.650 MHZ,467.650 MHZ, 462.700 MHZ and 467.700 MHZ unless your previous license authorized such operations."

Additionally going to the FCC site for this section does list frequencies. No numbers.

https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

As for radios I realize a lot of the new stuff does go by a certain scheme but I have quite a few old Uniden GMRS radios. They have channel 1-8 with RPT/TA. That's all we had for years and many of the older GMRS radios were like this. When I started SAR channel 1 in our radios was 462.675 as that was the local channel they used. Took us many years to go to the national standard of VHF and real licenses. 

In the end we are talking about something that is not needed nor will ever come to be. We seem to keep looking for solutions for problems that there is not. If your traveling down the highway and want to talk to someone leave the radio in scan. I have radios in all my vehicles including my motorhome. While I don't hear a ton anymore if i need real info im looking to turn up my CB and not my GMRS radio. Normally I I'm stuck in a backup that's where info is. If there is chatter on GMRS its normally FRS users talking to the car in front of them.  

Agreed about the “channels” as my Icom IC-F21GM has the channels laid out more logically: 1-8 are the repeater pairs, & 9-15 are the interstitials (there are no FRS 467MHz frequencies). I would people would go back to saying frequency instead of the illogical channel numbers.

18 hours ago, WQBI410 said:

Agreed about the “channels” as my Icom IC-F21GM has the channels laid out more logically: 1-8 are the repeater pairs, & 9-15 are the interstitials (there are no FRS 467MHz frequencies). I would people would go back to saying frequency instead of the illogical channel numbers.

Hmm..  just to be a contrarian, I will posit that the whole appeal of FRS/GMRS is its simplicity and "open the box and get started" ease of use.   Thus, having designated channel numbers helps the vast majority of FRS/GMRS users.   I'll bet that if you polled 1,000 frequent users of FRS/GMRS radios what frequency their favorite channel was on, 950 of them wouldn't have a clue.  The other 50 are participating in this forum.  ? 

• 3 months later...

Found this on line.

When using a GMRS radio in your truck it is recommended that you Monitor Channel 7 without Privacy Codes

ALSO...

Channel 20(462.675MHz) with a PL of 141.3Hz is generally considered the 'travel/calling' frequency on GMRS

Next time I'm traveling down south I will "listening" on those frequencies. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, djxs said:

Something like this @WyoJoe

GMRS Road Ch. 20.png

Especially on Simplex, Advertising is a good idea and i understand it is done that way in Australia a lot. I know i have made a few eyeball contacts By Ham License Tag and i had my Call Sign on the bug shield of the big truck. .......

I got into CB ever since hand signals and blinking lights were used and tolerated and suffered through all the crap and interference because the immediate in close communication was very necessary for safety and information and has not been replaced anything better yet.? But many drivers and those who slip seat are going away from CB and we now see the big pileups that could have been prevented by immediate & in close communication? The more professional drivers got into Ham Radio and I am overhearing some on GMRS  now also but there just aren't as many to make a real difference?.. I am parked at the end of the long road now but i am hoping for better immediate and close in communication for safety on the road?  73..KDØQG/ WRKQ798..

I have it on good authority that TWO new GMRS radios will be released in the next few months that have a quick-road-channel/Home button, pre-programmed to Ch19, which many use as the official road channel for GMRS..

"Some people" will disagree/whine/complain about Ch19, so they dont have to use it - they can talk to themselves on some other channel that nobody knows about.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have it on good authority that TWO new GMRS radios will be released in the next few months that have a quick-road-channel/Home button, pre-programmed to Ch19, which many use as the official road channel for GMRS..

"Some people" will disagree/whine/complain about Ch19, so they dont have to use it - they can talk to themselves on some other channel that nobody knows about.

Seems like regularly somebody wants to advocate for their favorite channel to use as a travel channel. Just program all 22 in, scan them all and be done with it. Then it won't matter.  

10 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Just program all 22 in, scan them all and be done with it.

That, of course, is the correct answer..

But sadly, many, perhaps even a majority of people grabbing an HT from Amazon or Walmart for their big cross-country road trip will have no idea how to do that.

For this reason, we must have the simple alternative..

16 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

That, of course, is the correct answer..

But sadly, many, perhaps even a majority of people grabbing an HT from Amazon or Walmart for their big cross-country road trip will have no idea how to do that.

For this reason, we must have the simple alternative..

It's not so "simple" when people regularly propose to use their favorite channel for the "official" travel channel. It's useless to a new GMRS user who reads in one place that channel xx is the travel channel, then later somebody else says it's channel yy, then even later another claims we should all be using channel zz because it's what some other radio service uses. Just thank GOD we only have 22 channels so the confusion is somewhat limited.

Maybe the government can step in and mandate channel usage like Australia has done with their license free UHF CB radio service. They have 80 channels.

https://summerstar.com.au/blog/uhf-channels-australia

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I don't understand what all the commotion is about.  Talking to people is way overrated.  Most of the time I can't stand talking to people I love.  Never mind strangers on the radio.

You guys are weird. 

I feel the same way about reading comments online from strangers, as well! ?

Ok I don’t even like the fact that I’m opining on this, but WRT the idea of “just scan it” doesn’t help the person who wants to reach out on the radio and say “anyone know what that accident is up ahead?” or something like that. What channel does he use? Repeat it 22 times and hope that everyone else is scanning?

But I’m one of those guys who actually prefers silence on long drives. I can go 8 hours with nothing but my thoughts, and I have a good radio AND a nice stereo system…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the absolute most entertaining part of this topic is that (assuming enough people agree to a channel) an assumption is being made that someone is going to be close enough to hear us AND wants to talk.  LoL 

Real question... how many of you have road tested simplex where you frequently drive?

I have, and it sucks. Depending on terrain, I get 1 to 5 miles.  On the highway, it's usually 1 mile because of the rapid elevation changes and LOS obstructions.

I love standards and I would love for everyone or at least enough of us to agree, but we may as well be debating on what the best color outfit is while traveling through a black hole ⚫ 

Real question... how many of you have road tested simplex where you frequently drive?

Great question. So just last weekend I was caravaning with a couple guys with different radios and got to do some real testing. I was able to talk clearly to a buddy who stayed behind for 15 minutes before getting back on the freeway. I was able to maintain contact with him the entire time and we estimated that we were about 20 miles apart on undulating terrain (freeway). Important element: I was on a KG-1000G with roof mounted 6db 5/8 wave antenna and he was on a Midland MXT500 with the included mag mount 1/4 wave antenna on the roof of his Tacoma.

We had a guy in between us on a Baofeng who was not able to talk to either of us at times.

Antenna placement is everything. Most people using HTs inside their car don’t realize how badly it limits their ability to communicate. Same for people running “stealth” antennas mounted on their spare tire or front fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

I have, and it sucks. Depending on terrain, I get 1 to 5 miles.  On the highway, it's usually 1 mile because of the rapid elevation changes and LOS obstructions.

I have done quite a few tests with a pair of Midland MXT115 radios.

Admittedly we are in a high desert valley, so we have very good 

conditions. We can maintain contact for 15+ miles across town on a regular

basis. I have also tested across the valley and am able to have clear

communications over 40 miles with only a few spots passing through

towns that coms. fade out. this on 15w with roof mounted antennas.

If we travel behind a butte range is cut down. 

Antenna and Line of sight is everything.

@Sbsyncro @IdahoJohn  It sounds like you guys lucky with where you drive.  To talk 20 miles you need to be 275' above the other radio with no obstructions and 40 miles, you need almost 1,100' of elevation above the other radio. 

I travel all around the country for work and R&R. Those conditions don't exist in a vast majority of the country.  Which is why I asked the question.

38 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@Sbsyncro @IdahoJohn  It sounds like you guys lucky with where you drive.  To talk 20 miles you need to be 275' above the other radio with no obstructions and 40 miles, you need almost 1,100' of elevation above the other radio. 

I travel all around the country for work and R&R. Those conditions don't exist in a vast majority of the country.  Which is why I asked the question.

Here is an elevation map of the route I took as the other person was sitting in his car in the parking lot (at the far left of the elevation chart).  We had consistent comms the entire time.  Once I hit the point at the far right of the elevation map, he entered the freeway and began to follow my route, exceeding my speed by about 10mph (so he gradually closed the distance over the next few hours.  We were able to stay in radio contact the entire time as he closed the gap.

I have found that the 50w radio and high antenna placement will make up for being out of line of sight - I have absolutely and definitely been able to talk to people that I did NOT have line of sight.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb2b1064c951ab1a783c84a4b6c7f3fa.jpeg