Got my XPR7550e programed finally

widnerkj

I had been listening with a little UV5R for a while.  However, shortly after receiving my GMRS license. I ordered a pair of XPR7550e's from ebay, and began the long wait for motorola to decide to sell me the CPS software.  I got one of the handsets programed today.  Nothing fancy, just the local repeater that I had been listening to for a while.  But dang.  What a fantastic upgrade that hand held is.  The CPS software wasn't too crazy to figure out for simple analog programing.  Now I just have to do a codeplug for the repeaters for planned roadtrips.

Sound quality is phenomenal. Also, it seems to grab signal from the repeater much stronger. I do prefer the “heft” of it. This handheld is seriously solidly built. That UV5 felt like a flimsy child’s toy.
Once I sorted out how to program in the repeaters, I started looking up and requesting access to all the repeaters from my house to Albuquerque.
This forum is specifically why I decided to order the Motorola from eBay. I actually was so impressed with it, I ordered another. I do sort of wish I could program it from the front, but I think that would be a complicated mess.

On 5/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, widnerkj said:

Sound quality is phenomenal. Also, it seems to grab signal from the repeater much stronger. I do prefer the “heft” of it. This handheld is seriously solidly built. That UV5 felt like a flimsy child’s toy.
Once I sorted out how to program in the repeaters, I started looking up and requesting access to all the repeaters from my house to Albuquerque.
This forum is specifically why I decided to order the Motorola from eBay. I actually was so impressed with it, I ordered another. I do sort of wish I could program it from the front, but I think that would be a complicated mess.

So this isn't so much able to pull in weak signals as it is textbook front end overload of the radio on chip in the UV5. The motos, kenwoods, etc., all have decent filtering and do not get overloaded by adjacent frequencies, and therefore you get get much better reception. There may also be a slight improvement on sensitivity, but thats only a small part.

So this isn't so much able to pull in weak signals as it is textbook front end overload of the radio on chip in the UV5. The motos, kenwoods, etc., all have decent filtering and do not get overloaded by adjacent frequencies, and therefore you get get much better reception. There may also be a slight improvement on sensitivity, but thats only a small part.

I understand and agree with your statement. My verbiage was attempting to explain the difference between listening to a $25 Chinese radio to now listening with a “nice” Motorola handheld. The uv5 may find a home in my hiking pack, but I do carry that moto everywhere I go.

So, with my two 7550's from ebay...  I'm happy with.  I believe they are fantastic handhelds.  However one came with a remote handset, which I was hoping to use.  But when installed on either radio, the mic would work correctly, but the speaker would not.  I assume it's because my freebee from ebay just had a bad speaker, because it didn't work on either radio.  No sound from it when attaching to the radio either.  Before I pony up for a new unit, is there a setting for that device I'm missing?

Yes to analog programming, maybe to wide-band. In order to get wide-band you will need an "entitlement key" from Motorola (if the used radio doesn't already have it). They are free of cost, but sometimes a challenge to get... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the full $270 package that took forever to get approved to buy.  It gave me CPS2 and CPS16.  For my current radios...

The first XPR7550e came from ebay seller dosbro. And it's a model AAH56RDN9RA1AN which is the "enabled" 7550.  He doesn't seem to have any more though.

The second HT came from sellerhatten6062.  However it's  a model  AAH56RDN9KA1AN  which is the "capable" 7550. He does seem to have more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254875001382

My local bizarre electrical supply had a pile of new in the box XPR2500 mobile units for $250, so I felt I needed to grab one for the vehicles.   As far as I know about wideband, I had to do an online class with Motorola, and now am waiting for permission to get the wideband EID.  Should be good, just as with all things motorola software, I'm waiting to be given permission for them to take my money.  I'll update when I know more.

• 1 month later...

Since I carry that xpr7550e everyday, at work, and at play. I did drop it the other day. And was rewarded with a scratch on the screen. Still works fantastically, and I just got the wide and entitlement from Motorola. So I’m actually liking this radio more every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, widnerkj said:

Since I carry that xpr7550e everyday, at work, and at play. I did drop it the other day. And was rewarded with a scratch on the screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found using tooth paste as a VERY mild polishing compound works to get scratches out of plastic screen covers. Got out some mild ones on several of my used radios I thought would never come out. You should practice on a junk one to get the technique right otherwise you just end up with a lot of fine “stroke” marks on the screen.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, Lscott said:

I found using tooth paste as a VERY mild polishing compound works to get scratches out of plastic screen covers. Got out some mild ones on several of my used radios I thought would never come out. You should practice on a junk one to get the technique right otherwise you just end up with a lot of fine “stroke” marks on the screen.

so lots of figure 8's?  like terminating fiber optics....  I'll give it a try.

3 hours ago, widnerkj said:

so lots of figure 8's?  like terminating fiber optics....  I'll give it a try.

Yup, it takes a lot of work and time. I had to apply some significance pressure to make progress. It's slow but does work. When you get to the point where you're happy with the result lighten up on the pressure, and as you observed, do circles to buff out any remaining swirl marks. I've also experimented with using an electric toothbrush as well with some modest results.

I put a small dab on a paper towel and went to work. I use the toothpaste just as it comes out of the tube. After polishing for 5 to 10 minutes wipe off the toothpaste then tilt the screen to get a light to reflect off the surface while looking at it.  This highlights any scratches in the plastic so you can see how much progress you're making. 

One hint. Use tape around the edges of the screen. This keeps the toothpaste from getting into any buttons and keys nearby. Don't ask me how I know this.