Your First and current GMRS HT

elseyta

I started with a pair of midland gxt1000's, then a kg805g (which is my go to for a GMRS HT, though I mostly use the mobiles). 

also have a couple of Vertex EVX-539 that cover GMRS (450-512), one that covers GMRS & 70cm, and a couple other models (all part 90 Vertex stuff) that are programmed with gmrs channels, though not my go-to for that.

my first was the Midland GXT1000

Then while waiting for my order of some Wouxun KG-905Gs, for me and the family

I bought one Wouxun KG-UV9G Lite and won a Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO  at an event

Still want the Kg-905Gs for the family and one for me as a more robust HT when out of the jeep while offroading, installing a KG-1000 in the jeep

One Wouxun KG-UV9Gs will go in the motor home and the other is in the wife's car

• 2 weeks later...

I too started on the UV5R and quickly went to the more durable UV9R, (also based on the quoted wattage outputs on the 3 different UV9R models) so I bought all three models to test the output.

None of the three have a wattage of 13 watts like advertised, (5 watts would be bragging) but so far am happy with how much more waterproof it is when compared to the 5R that "hot miked" with me dropping sweat onto the top port. And the bigger battery in the 9R is a plus, (for now as i plan to upgrade in a month or so to something with a little more power). 

1604854044823.jpg

First (only a couple of weeks ago) is a Radioddity GM-30 with the standard rubber duck. Haven't had much success communicating from my house. Radio check shows that I can barely hit a repeater 7.5 miles (as the crow flies) from my house. I've ordered a Radioddity RD-332 high-gain antenna to see if it helps. (It should, I think!)

Programming with the Radioddity software was a breeze. Since I know successfully hit that repeater, at least I confirmed that I got it right. Also programmed in a few amateur repeaters to listen to.

Been working from home full-time for 16 months now, but we go back to the office in September. There's a linked repeater 5.8 miles from there, so I'll maybe have some lunch time conversations. (I can actually hear that repeater from home, inside the house, and it's 21.5 miles away.)

Also thinking I'll get a mobile unit soon.

1 hour ago, alanplarue said:

First (only a couple of weeks ago) is a Radioddity GM-30 with the standard rubber duck. Haven't had much success communicating from my house. Radio check shows that I can barely hit a repeater 7.5 miles (as the crow flies) from my house. I've ordered a Radioddity RD-332 high-gain antenna to see if it helps. (It should, I think!)

Programming with the Radioddity software was a breeze. Since I know successfully hit that repeater, at least I confirmed that I got it right. Also programmed in a few amateur repeaters to listen to.

Been working from home full-time for 16 months now, but we go back to the office in September. There's a linked repeater 5.8 miles from there, so I'll maybe have some lunch time conversations. (I can actually hear that repeater from home, inside the house, and it's 21.5 miles away.)

Also thinking I'll get a mobile unit soon.

Welcome to the group and sharing your experiences.  Glad you figured it out....

My first pair of radios as of now are Tenway UV-5r pros  which are basiclly Baofeng handhelds. I have both the  Naogay 15 inch whip and a begfu foldable antennas when using in the field and a Naogay magnet mount antenna set on a 2 foot x 4 foot of grounded sheet metal at the camper up about 14 feet in the air. I am able to hit several repeaters with the furthest being 55 miles away depending on weather conditions but for the most part i can consistently hit one 35 miles away. In fact I went mobile yesterday and was able to hit it from my residence at 47 miles away. Been real happy with the radios and like everything else will eventually look for better radios. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been GMRS licensed since December 1992.  My GMRS callsign (KAE9013) resembles an old CB callsign as it predates the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS).  It also predates the creation of FRS in 1996 and the invasion of the bubble packs which followed.

In 1993, my first GMRS radios was a pair of Motorola GP300 handhelds.  They were expensive at the time but they were the clear quality leader.

Since then I've owned and used the following on GMRS:

• Kenwood TK-370
  • Kenwood TK-370G
  • Kenwood TK-3140
  • Kenwood TK-3170
  • Icom IC-F4GT
  • Icom IC-F40GT
  • Motorola HT-1250
  • Kenwood TK-5310 (still have)
  • Kenwood NX-300
  • Hytera PD782G
  • Hytera PD362
  • Hytera X1p (still have)
  • Hytera PD982 (still have)

My newest is a Motorola XPR7550e as I'm moving away from Hytera and going full Moto for everything in the future.  No more Kenwood or Icom either.  No cheap Chinese radios (CCRs) since you get the bottom of the barrel cr@p that you pay for.   I'm p!$$ed at Hytera and done with Hytera since the Motorola v. Hytera lawsuit settlement.  I'm also liking Motorola's stuff better anyway.  Only top tier Motorola radios going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, pcradio said:

How was the testing?

Well, has it been long enough since I’ve logged back on? Sorry about that.

The RD-232 works quite well. No trouble hitting that nearest repeater, though I still can’t reach any others.

Still haven’t gone back to the office and seldom go anywhere, so I haven’t done any more with it. I did buy a used Vertex 2200 to use as a mobile unit, but I don’t have an antenna yet nor everything else I need to install it.

BTech GMRS-V1 for me right now, As far as a legit licensed radio goes. I still have a pair of Gold Cobra FRS Radios and the Silver Microtalk radios since the nineties. Do they count?  The antennas are not removable, so I think they fall primarily in the FRS Category.  Overall I’ve been pleased with my unit. It works well in the woods. I’ve not tried it in town yet. I’m doing my best to learn as much as I can to get the most out of my V1.9BC03BF0-741A-4C78-80C1-05699AF60F9F.thumb.jpeg.d33e207d37547cc82187ae4cdbe22d9a.jpeg650CE23F-F6C6-4463-AE58-12215E480630.thumb.jpeg.d32c0b0fb0a1f9a9a8276ee249be7858.jpeg