Your First and current GMRS HT

elseyta

I think my first "GMRS" HT was an FRS/GMRS combination radio marketed by Cobra.

Since then, I've acquired many radios, and still use several different ones regularly.

For most day to day usage, though, I grab either the Radioddity GM-30 or the Tidradio TD-H5. (They are both essentially the same radio).

They just seem to be easy to use, easy to carry, easily configured, and they work pretty well for my needs.

16 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

I think my first "GMRS" HT was an FRS/GMRS combination radio marketed by Cobra.

Since then, I've acquired many radios, and still use several different ones regularly.

For most day to day usage, though, I grab either the Radioddity GM-30 or the Tidradio TD-H5. (They are both essentially the same radio).

They just seem to be easy to use, easy to carry, easily configured, and they work pretty well for my needs.

How about ham?  Are you ham as well?

13 hours ago, BBQBuff1967 said:

How about ham?  Are you ham as well?

Yes, and lately, I've been using the dual band TYT UV-88, which has the same form factor as the GM-30/TD-H5. Because of this, it allows me to use the same batteries on both radios, although the UV-88 battery needs a minor modification to work on the other radios. I have a few other HTs as well (mostly CCRs) that I use occasionally, partly depending on where I'm going. I have different radios programmed for a few different areas I visit when I travel, so that I can become familiar with repeaters in those areas. I'm usually traveling with family, though, so I don't often end up monitoring the radio very much, and haven't familiarized myself with those other areas yet.

STARTED OFF LATE 90'S / EARLY / 00'S WITH UNIDEN & MIDLAND FRS/GMRS HT'S FOR COMMUNINATING WHILE QUAIL HUNTING THEN ATER A STROKE PARALYZING MY LEFT SIDE AND ELIMINATINATING ANY HUNTING ACTIVITY I GOT BACK INTO GMRS RADIO WITH SOME KG-805G'S THEN KG-905'S AND FIMALLY WITH THE KG-935'S.  WITH BAD EYESIGHT THE DISPLAY ON THE 935G WAS AN IMPORTANT FEATURE AS WELL AS THE SOFTWARE PROGRAMING BEING SIMILAR TO MY KG-XS20'S & KG-1000G'S.  I CAN ONLY PROGRAM USING SOFTWARE DUE TO MY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS USING THE DISPLAYS.  I HAD ALS0 PREVIOUSLY USED THE GARMIN RINO RADIOS FOR CLIENT HUNTERS WHILE  GUIDING FOR ELK AND TURKEY IN NORTHERN ARIZONA YEARS AGO.

Just got my GMRS license last week.  GMRS call sign is WROA265, in Madison County Missouri.

My 1st GMRS radio is a set of Bubble Pack (yuck, I know) Midland GTX1000VP4s from good old Walmart. 

I love in a rural area and while I have seen a few others listed in this area, I haven't found any traffic yet.

I read of a repeater and GMRS club 30ish miles NW of me, but I contacted the "President" of the club about it and the repeater via email, no responses yet.

Hoping to get some use of this thing...:)

I actually mainly bought it for off road SxS and Gambler500 usage.

Scott WROA265

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, smullen said:

Just got my GMRS license last week.  GMRS call sign is WROA265, in Madison County Missouri.

My 1st GMRS radio is a set of Bubble Pack (yuck, I know) Midland GTX1000VP4s from good old Walmart. 

I read of a repeater and GMRS club 30ish miles NW of me, but I contacted the "President" of the club about it and the repeater via email, no responses yet.

Hoping to get some use of this thing...:)

Scott WROA265

Welcome Scott!

According to comments on the Midland page for those radios, even though they are GMRS radios, they will not work on the Repeater frequencies needed.

I was going to suggest to drive closer to the repeater and see if you can "hit" it and then drive back home and see how long you can maintain coverage.

Maybe you can borrow another GMRS HT and try this experiment before you upgrade to a GMRS radio that has repeater capability. 

16 minutes ago, RPolte70 said:

Just got license last week Call sign WROA968, 2 Wouxun KG905's. Looking to add a base station, you all know how it goes, you just can't have one.

WELCOME ABOARD, TAKE A LOOK AT THE WOUXUN KG-XS20G www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-xs20g.htmlTO USE WITH A NAGOYA UT-72G MAG MOUNT Nagoya UT-72G High Gain Magnet Mount GMRS Antenna (462-467 MHz) (buytwowayradios.com)ON A BAKING SHEET WITH THE Amazon.com: Cigarette Lighter Adapter-Ac to Dc Converter-Car Plug Adapter Outlet-Car Cigarette Lighter Socket-110 to 12 Volt-Car Adapter to Wall Outlet-12 Volt Power Supply-24Watts : Automotive FOR AN INEXPENSIVE MOBILR/BASE ALTERNATIVE

1 hour ago, BradfordD said:

Also just received my Call Sign.  For my first HT, I've ordered a KG-935G  - should be here 10/8... 

Because the 935 shares the same battery AND charger as the 905, my future #2 will most likely be the KG-905G - but would like to see how well the 935 works before ordering.

HAVING BOTH MODELS THE KG-935G OUT PERFORMS MY FOUR KG-905G'S WHICH HAVE THE STOCK ANTENNA AND THE 15" NAGOYA'S.  DON'T BOTHER WITH THE KG-905.

2 hours ago, TOM47 said:

HAVING BOTH MODELS THE KG-935G OUT PERFORMS MY FOUR KG-905G'S WHICH HAVE THE STOCK ANTENNA AND THE 15" NAGOYA'S.  DON'T BOTHER WITH THE KG-905.

Thanks Tom.  Do you mean 935 out performs the 905 in transmit and receive distances and clarity? 

Being a newbie - I heard the 905 has the "superheterodyne circuitry" (what ever the heck that means) whereas the 935 did not.  I was thinking because of this, the clarity would be better on the 905 (less of a worry about squelch adjustment on the 905)...?  Anyway -  I also worry about the complexity (if nothing more than appearance) of the 935...  wifey would just want to P-T-T, which the 905's simple appearance and lack of buttons, is less... intimidating...?  

In any regard, I've only got the one 935 coming - so we'll see.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, BradfordD said:

Thanks Tom.  Do you mean 935 out performs the 905 in transmit and receive distances and clarity? 

Being a newbie - I heard the 905 has the "superheterodyne circuitry" (what ever the heck that means) whereas the 935 did not.  I was thinking because of this, the clarity would be better on the 905 (less of a worry about squelch adjustment on the 905)...?  Anyway -  I also worry about the complexity (if nothing more than appearance) of the 935...  wifey would just want to P-T-T, which the 905's simple appearance and lack of buttons, is less... intimidating...?  

In any regard, I've only got the one 935 coming - so we'll see.

Thanks again!

YOU CAN TURN OFF THE DUAL DISPLAY ON THE 935 TO LOOK SIMPLE LIKE THE 905.  HAVENT SEEN ANY DIFFERENCE IN SQUELCH ADJUSTMENT.  YES I GET BETTER TX & RX ON THE 835 INCLUDING LOCATIONS WHERE THE 905 OULD NOT CONNECT TO REPEATERS LIKE FROM  AN INTERIOR SINGLE STORY BATHROOM..

26 minutes ago, Lscott said:

THAT DEFINATION IS NICE AND ACCURATE HOWEVER WE DID A GUPLEX TEST ON A REPEATER WITH DIFFERENT HT'S, 805'S, 905'S AND 935'S.  THE KG-935G WAS THE BEST, DIFFERENT STATIONS IN DIFFERENT LOATIONS.  CALL AND ASK BUY TWO WAY RADIOS ABOUT THIER TESTS.

Edited by TOM47
ADDED COMMENT

I am new GMRS user hoping to equip my family prairie burn crew with better radios than FRS so we can coordinate better. Yelling over the crackling flames has really poor transmission characteristics, and tends to add too much excitement. First HTs were Radioddity GM-N1s, and then I spoiled myself with a pair of Wuoxun KG-905G. I appreciate the simplicity of the GM-N1s, but really prefer having a screen to confirm settings. Superhets are nice too.

Edited by Datanerd
spelling

Members of the same family can share the license of a licensee. Members of different families will require their own license to use GMRS. 

An alternative would be MURS, Multiple Use Radio Service which uses the VHF radio band. VHF will have a better range than GMRS or UHF under most conditions even though MURS is less power out. MURS, like FRS does not require a license.

Starting with 2 HT UV-5X's with good aftermarket antennas. Yes the antennas were a performance upgrade. Programmed about 6 repeaters in and am pleased with these HT's to hit and receive repeaters in my area.

Added a Radioddity DB25-G 25 Watt mobile in the car and with my little digital SWR / RF Power meter was able to get down to a 1.14 to 1 reading putting out 20 measured watts. Monitoring 4 channels at a time this radio picks up a lot of radio traffic.

I will be looking for a better HT in the next few months and hope to keep it's cost in the $ 100 to $ 180 range. It needs to have a removeable antenna so I can put what I want on it for performance, needs to come close or match the 5 watt output ( my uv-5x's are hitting 4.9 ) and not be a all on one chip design. So give me your suggestions on what to consider. This will be my SHF grab and go if the time comes.

WRNX920 Listening 

• 4 weeks later...