Your First and current GMRS HT

elseyta

On 10/7/2021 at 12:47 AM, reevesr19 said:

I will be looking for a better HT in the next few months and hope to keep it's cost in the $ 100 to $ 180 range. It needs to have a removeable antenna so I can put what I want on it for performance, needs to come close or match the 5 watt output ( my uv-5x's are hitting 4.9 ) and not be a all on one chip design.

There are some solid recommendations for used commercial grade radios if you want to go that route. I have primarily Kenwood radios so I'll confine my comments to them.

The ones I have and feel they work good are the TK-370G, TK-3140, TK-3170, TK-3173, TK3212 and the TK-3180. The radios are either 4 or 5 watt radios. There is little difference between a 4 and 5 watt radio range wise. They all can do repeaters, split tones, wide and narrow band FM, high and low power, scan and so on.

The one I've been carrying around for a while now is the TK-3170. I just like how it works, it's small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, light with the Lithium Ion battery packs, and uses all the same programming cables, speaker microphones, antennas and other accessories the cheap Chinese radios use, which is the Kenwood dual prong "K type" connector. The TK-3173 is the same radio but includes trunking, which you don't need for GMRS anyway.

https://mra-raycom.com/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/Specifications/portables/TK-270G-370G-Product-Brochure.pdf

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-2140_3140.pdf

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-2170_3170.pdf

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-3173.pdf

http://www.deisradio.com/files/TK-2212-3212 Brochure.pdf

https://kenwoodsub.dealerarena.com/ProductPDFs/10/TK-2180&3180Brochure.pdf

You can find these for sale on eBay frequently. You'll also probably need a new battery pack, antenna and charger base. If you already have the two prong programming cable you're all set on a few of the above. The TK-3140, TK-3180 use a different type of programming cable.

I believe all of the above are Part 95 certified for legal use on GMRS. The software isn't hard to find on line with a bit of searching. Be careful of the exact model "Type" you buy used. These UHF radios come in several different frequency ranges. The Part 95 certified ones are the 450 MHz lower end to 490 MHz to 520 MHz upper end. I have one or more of these specific radios and they all will be great on GMRS. Just one caveat about any commercial radio, they are not front panel programmable. You can set some of the function keys to select things like tones etc. but in general you need to software to do a proper job setting them up.

Oh, these radios can be "pushed" down below the official lower frequency limit, down to at least 440 MHz or lower, so they are usable on the repeater section of the Ham 70cm band for dual licensed people. Now you can legally have one radio to use on GMRS and Ham with zero modifications or special software hacks required.

First was, I think, an old set of those neon-yellow waterproof Talkabouts. Nothing could kill them, aside from leaky batteries. 

Latest is a Motorola LMR set. I have three of the Wouxuns, and I do absolutely love how solid the 905 is, but the Moto knocks it out of the park. A little lower power on TX, but just edges out the superhet Wouxuns on reception. Also have a PSM mic for it, which doesn't get a whole lot of use, but is handy when it does—popped one of the Wouxun UHF antennas on it and stick the radio in a pack and you're good to go. IMPRES smart batteries are nice, too.

Downside of course with Part 90 gear, as @Lscott mentioned, is no field programming, and expensive/difficult to find/complex software. And those IMPRES batteries and chargers are pricy—thankfully mine came with both, and the battery, first activated in 2019, still had a lot of life.

My first HTs are the Tidradio GM-5R (Baofeng uv-5x gmrs rebadge) I picked up for $53 on Amazon (20% off coupon) for the pair with the big batteries, mics, etc. Didn't want to spend much while checking out GMRS and was already used to the UV-5R menu. 

Ordered a BF UV-9G last week, waiting for the fixed/improved batch to ship at the end of the year. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 9:47 PM, reevesr19 said:

I will be looking for a better HT in the next few months and hope to keep it's cost in the $ 100 to $ 180 range. It needs to have a removeable antenna so I can put what I want on it for performance, needs to come close or match the 5 watt output ( my uv-5x's are hitting 4.9 ) and not be a all on one chip design. So give me your suggestions on what to consider. This will be my SHF grab and go if the time comes.

WRNX920 Listening 

Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro from better safe radios dot com (just remove the spaces).

Within price range, excellent receive/transmit with default duckie antenna (even better with the Smiley Super Stick GMRS [telescopic]), full SHTF/NOAA channels pre-programmed in.

My first GMRS radio was some version of Motorola TalkAbout, I think it was some 62xx series, and I still have them buried somewhere. Getting back into it again recently, I dug out a Motorola CDM1550LS+and mounted it to a power supply, and connected a Laird NMO antenna. (The one in my icon picture). Then, I programmed an older Motorola XPR6550 radio for GMRS use. 

It was only recently that I added a Radiodity GM-30 handheld (which I put away somewhere and need to firmware upgrade) and a mobile VHF/UHF DB20-G which works great mobile. However, I now wish I had room in my current car for a Motorola mobile.....may have to search for a good HHCH (Hand Held Control Head) mobile to save space up front. They just work better.

• 2 weeks later...

My first radio (other than walkie talkies circadian 1966) was a 2001 Bell South FRS/GMRS radio that also had the NOAA Weather channels and a thermometer why? No idea) on it. For years I carefully avoided the GMRS channels on it out of fear of the FCC cops. I still have it, and use it. It gets handed out when we have kids hiking with us.

My first real GMRS radios were a pair of Retevis RB26s, a very simple 3 watt radio that has surprised me with it’s performance, hitting repeaters 30 miles away. I recently got a Baofeng UV9G, which has worked well for me. 

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

No pics of my first. It was a 4 channel Uniden crystal radio. 

One of these 2 are my grab and go radios....

PXL_20210216_190416843.jpg

My real first GMRS radio was a Kenwood TK-370G.

The current grab-n-go radio is the Kenwood TK-3170. It’s small, light weight, uses Lithium Ion battery packs.

I just haven’t had the desire to drag my more expensive analog/digital radios out. Some have FCC Part 95 certification. Until some digital mode is officially blessed by the FCC they’re likely not going to see much of any use except on the Ham bands.

• 4 months later...

Just to show my license age (a 3Ax4N). My first GMRS radio was a Maxon GMRS 210+3. Don't plan to dig it up to photograph it -- you'll have to live with a link to the manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwidz7j-vPf4AhWOoWoFHXiXCWgQFnoECBEQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Frsws.zapto.org%2Fradiosoftware%2FMaxon%2FGMRS-2103O.pdf&usg=AOvVaw35bH5wYY31Aop7VP5e9n9V (Ugh, Google and its thousands of tracking bits).

This radio goes back to the days when a GMRS license was for just TWO of the Eight primary frequencies (well, frequency pairs when you include the repeater inputs), which had to be selected when one applied. Most radios were based on part 90 land mobile/business which typically had a toggle switch between the two channels.

The 7 low-power (relative to the 50W max for primaries) GMRS interstitial frequencies had become available just a bit before. Also, one of the 8 primaries was a designated emergency/traveller assist channel -- common practice was to make that one of the two channels one was licensed for, although FCC rules made it available FOR EMERGENCY USE even if not shown on the license. So that explains the 210+3 nomenclature: two programmable (technically by a shop!, though the programming manual was included with the radio -- open it up, press a button, up/down to find frequency, enter, press button for second channel, repeat) primary channels as #9 and #10. #8 was permanently on the emergency channel. #1-#7 were the interstitial channels. Two power levels. Battery compatibility with the Icom 02AT https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/02at.html (and the RatShack HT-202 which was a Maxon built look-alike for the 02AT) [Didn't expect the link to display in-line] This was my backup Amateur HT, while my Kenwood D7? was in the shop for some reason.UH39alrg.jpg

I have a pair of Midland GXT 1050, a pair of Motorola <somethings> (one seems to be acting up -- pressing the High power PTT is causing a reset -- battery gauge shows 2/3 and the Low power PTT is okay, other showing full battery is okay with both PTTs [yes, it selects power by which part of the PTT is pressed])

Current radios... BTech GMRS-V1, and a GMRS-V2 with hi-cap battery (the latter is supposed to be 5W/0.5W hence the alternate battery vs the 2W/0.5W of the V1 -- yet with a 771G antenna it is putting out LESS power than the V1. The V1 showed something like 1.8W to the V2 1.6W, and similar values for the 0.5W setting -- 0.8 vs 0.6). Setting up an MFJ analyzer in frequency counter/(relative) field strength mode, using the original BTech V2 dual-band antenna for pickup, and positioning the radios so the antenna was in line with the end of my keyboard (so a repeatable distance from analyzer) gave:

V1 stock antenna: 503 H/250 L
V2 771G antenna: 326 H/228 L
GXT 1050: 503 H/400 M/345 L
Motorola (working one): 384 H/540 L !?, the one that resets on H also showed 500 L
MURS-V1 with 701C antenna (according analyzer, this dual band antenna stinks on GMRS frequency) gave: 508 H/154 L
Columbia MURS2 (one of the early MURS sets): 583 H (limit of analyzer I think, as putting a radio right up next to it maxed at that value)/200-370 L (sensitive to where my hand was when PTT)

• 2 weeks later...