How to program KG-UV9G PRO GMRS Two-Way Radio & SHTF Scanner (KG-UV9G-LITE)

jacobkong

Question

Hi there,

This is my first time owning any GMRS radio and I have decided to go with a KG-UV9g Pro (Lite) but the only problem I have is how do I program it. I have googled, YouTube and looked all over the internet and nothing came up. I am new to this radio stuff. I am planning a hiking/camping trips with some friends and would like to know how to program it so I can use it to contact park rangers for emergencies etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

6 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Adding MURS frequencies moved your radio from being a GMRS unit to an uncertified intentional radiator operating outside its designated purpose. You can't have your Part 95(e) and eat it too!

Also MURS is limited to 2W output -- if you hear someone on MURS you definitely shouldn't need 20W of power (and even 5W is outside of MURS regulations).

The confusion arises from the difference in terminology and the use of different examples between these two different threads.

The important consideration is that once a Part 95(e) GMRS radio has been "unlocked" and then "relocked" back to just GMRS, there is just no practical way to discern that this radio is any different than it was when granted certification.  

Those that agree this is "a thing" can sleep at night even after using their "re-locked" GMRS radios and the remainder of the GMRS population will just ignore or not even be aware that their radio may possibly be "unlocked" and sleep well at night as well.

This guy, below, believes, as expressed in his video, to the contrary about use of radios during emergencies.  While he cautions that he is not an attorney, his common-sense approach to the issue, would seem to protect one's use of their radio during an emergency (that of course does not interfere with other necessary emergency communications):

As to emergency communications, some people believe to the contrary:

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 5.40.43 PM.png

11 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

... if you hear someone on MURS you definitely shouldn't need 20W of power...

That statement is based upon the incorrect assumption that anyone may easily use low power to transmit back to any signal that they can hear on their radio.

If they cannot hear you at 2 watts, and you have the ability to transmit on a higher power and you choose not to avail yourself of that ability to help in their emergency, that is your choice; but not mine!