Frequency

Doctnj

Being new to all this, at first glance it would seem that GMRS would occupy a block of frequencies from the bottom, I. E. Channel 1 to top of repeater frequencies. And it is amazing that there is so much interlaced.  As with my initial question, it seems like there isn't much space between the bottom gmrs block of frequencies and the top, but indeed it is a large stretch of space. There isn't just a whole lot of instruction with the process of using gmrs.  It's like these are the channels / frequencies, and these are the tones... Have at it. 

6 hours ago, Doctnj said:

Being new to all this, at first glance it would seem that GMRS would occupy a block of frequencies from the bottom, I. E. Channel 1 to top of repeater frequencies. And it is amazing that there is so much interlaced.  As with my initial question, it seems like there isn't much space between the bottom gmrs block of frequencies and the top, but indeed it is a large stretch of space. There isn't just a whole lot of instruction with the process of using gmrs.  It's like these are the channels / frequencies, and these are the tones... Have at it. 

The 5 MHz spacing is an offset for duplex repeaters.

I'm not educated on the topic but getting that way more every day.  I watch a lot of videos and let's face it most hams are quite dry.  I watched a video for an entire hour on just the differences in coax.  And I thought biochem was boring.  

Asking about the two blocks of frequencies for gmrs.  I came from cb background and some prc radios in military.  I never had to figure out frequency.  It is staggering to think about just how many different services that can be interlaced in such close proximity on a bandwidth.  And yes the law book was nice personal touch. :)

That's all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Having the two blocks is a requirement for making repeaters work.  Basically, a repeater can't have it's input frequency too close to its output frequency.  In UHF, 5 MHz, is the common/standard spacing.  Allowing for standard/commercial repeaters to be used in GMRS (without modification, but with appropriate certification).