Active groups in Connecticut?

I recently got my license and a Radioddity GM-30. My primary use will be car club events, but was looking to see if there are any active GMRS groups in Connecticut.

Years ago, I was active on the CB with a lot a lot of locals who would chat on a quieter channel. Before I decide to purchase a mobile unit, wanted to see if it would be worth it.

Jeff

WRMV722

Sent from my LGL455DL using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

My daughter lives in Preston, Connecticut.  I am visiting her every month (up from VA).  There is not much going on in the area, unfortunately.  I have been thinking about putting up a repeater in/near the Norwich area or possibly closer to the CT/RI line... but I have been slammed and haven't found much time for testing.

I’m brand new to the GMRS world. Just picked up a Wouxun KG-935G Plus (also have a Yaesu VX-6 for HAM)…I live in Stratford and work in Norwalk. So far I’ve just been doing some listening. Seems like I’m reaching a repeater in Long Island and I THINK another one in Bridgeport. Unfortunately, the only few times I tried talking, it doesn’t seem like anyone can hear me. Still have to learn repeater access, but I’m looking forward to learning. If there is anyone/any groups in the area, let me know.

GMRS: WRWF477

HAM: KC1SLV

52 minutes ago, WRWF477 said:

I’m brand new to the GMRS world. Just picked up a Wouxun KG-935G Plus (also have a Yaesu VX-6 for HAM)…I live in Stratford and work in Norwalk. So far I’ve just been doing some listening. Seems like I’m reaching a repeater in Long Island and I THINK another one in Bridgeport. Unfortunately, the only few times I tried talking, it doesn’t seem like anyone can hear me. Still have to learn repeater access, but I’m looking forward to learning. If there is anyone/any groups in the area, let me know.

GMRS: WRWF477

HAM: KC1SLV

I’m envious of the VX6!

Please forgive me if I’m assuming took little knowledge or experience on your part.

When listening for a repeater with the KG-935, you’ll hear it on two channels.  One is a simplex channel and the other is a repeater channel.  Both receive on the exact same frequency, but the repeater channel has a +5MHz offset for transmitting.

So if you’re hearing a repeater on the simplex channel and try to reply, you’ll be transmitting on the wrong frequency for the repeater to hear.  You might hear something on 462.550 MHz, but you’ll have to reply on 467.550 MHz in order for the repeater to receive your transmission.  The repeater channels already have that offset programmed in.

The other part is the use of tones.  Almost all repeaters will have an “input tone” which allows them to reject any transmissions that are not accompanied by the same tone.  The repeater then retransmits the transmissions that it hasn’t rejected, also using a tone, this time referred to as the “output tone.”  Those tones can be actual tones, specified in Hz, almost always under 300 Hz, or digital codes.  When they are actual tones they are usually referred to as CTCSS, but various companies refer to them differently.  For example, Motorola refers to them as PL tones.  The digital codes are usually referred to as DCS, but again there may be different terms applied.  When they’re digital codes they sometimes have either an ‘N’ or an ‘I’ suffix, denoting Normal or Inverted.

Typically, you must transmit using the correct input tone or the repeater will filter out your transmissions.

However, when you receive, as long as you leave the receive tone unset, you will receive everything transmitted on that frequency.  That’s good when you are just getting started because you can hear what’s going on.

Again, I apologize if I’m assuming too little knowledge on your part.  

No, I very much appreciate it!!! I have very little/basic knowledge in the radio world. Just started learning and JUST got both GMRS and HAM licenses/call signs this week. The learning experience is much appreciated. I did learn about CTCSS and DCS. But with the amount of knowledge I took in, it hasn’t quite stuck yet. So you breaking it down for me again is very helpful.

I figured that was the case on why the couldn’t hear me. It also seems like looking on this site and locating the repeaters, it looks like the owner wants a paid subscription to use the repeater….. I’m assuming that’s how you would get the input tone or digital code? I also need to learn how to enter these tones into the radio. Again, very new and just got both radios the past few days, so learning the settings. In programming, I did see “CTCSS/DCS Decoder” and “CTCSS/DCS Encoder”. I assume that’s where these codes will need to be entered so those using the repeater can hear me.

I appreciate you taking the time to help explain it some. Looking forward to learning as much as I can and really get into the hobby. Hopefully soon I will be able to do more than just listen ?

-Josh

WRWF477

KC1SLV