An observation

Doctnj

On vacation in Florida.  Looking over list of repeaters in the state it's easy to see that it's a big deal down here.  Easily over a hundred in the state and that is just the ones on the list.  While at the beach in a tall condo tower I could hear lots of conversations.  Several were just on frs frq but many were on gmrs/repeater freq.  Absolutely no one used a call sign on the gmrs.  No one! If you go to repeater tab and look up Florida it's amazing how many repeaters there are. I'm sure many are used in business but don't they still have to use call sign every 15 min? 

Just an observation. 

Operating practices vary from area to area

There are 6+ repeaters here in the Tampa Bay area (3 of which I can reach)

Everyone that I've copied or talked to has used their call sign, whether they're mobile, portable, unit 1 to unit 2, etc

During band openings I've chatted with users up towards the Panhandle & in Central Florida, & they use their call signs 

Evidently where you're staying, the users are unaware of the rules or just don't care

It's not like that everywhere

On 7/15/2021 at 8:49 PM, WRCZ387 said:

Operating practices vary from area to area

There are 6+ repeaters here in the Tampa Bay area (3 of which I can reach)

Everyone that I've copied or talked to has used their call sign, whether they're mobile, portable, unit 1 to unit 2, etc

During band openings I've chatted with users up towards the Panhandle & in Central Florida, & they use their call signs 

Evidently where you're staying, the users are unaware of the rules or just don't care

It's not like that everywhere

I will say that its very understandable why they use radios.  Cell signal on the beach is terrible so they are using what works.  I am really impressed with the number of gmrs repeaters in the state!!  That is pretty cool for sure.