Is Radioddity DB-20G 20 watt mobile radio good?

EARL5555

1 hour ago, tcp2525 said:

Same here. I use mine as a base with the antenna on the side of my tower fed with Andrews Heliax and it does remarkable well. Best $99 I spent. Oh, mine only puts out 16 watts on 467 and the full 20 on 462, which is normal for this radio. 

probably one of the better radios in its size/class.

• 1 month later...

One downside to "opening" this radio is it takes forever to scan It goes past the 450.0 MhZ on 70cm 420MHz and below and over the 144.-148.0 mhz on 2 M 144 MHz. of course it does NOT have side band so your not going to hear alot of conversations. You will get the noise from what I assume is data, loud static.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Open up the Ham 2 meter and 70 cm bands to transmit on the USA version (also available in the provided software under Model):

1) Turn off the power.  

2) While holding down the V/M button, turn on the power.  Use the Up and Down arrow keys to change from the GMRS setting on the display to 136-174 MHz; 400-470 MHz and now power down.  

3) When you power back up licensed operators can now transmit on the GMRS channels and the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands. 

OK please explain how to go back to GMRS. Was fun for a minute.   Never mind  I got it:)

Edited by WRPQ991
problem resolved

2 hours ago, WRPQ991 said:

One downside to "opening" this radio is it takes forever to scan It goes past the 450.0 MhZ on 70cm 420MHz and below and over the 144.-148.0 mhz on 2 M 144 MHz. of course it does NOT have side band so your not going to hear alot of conversations. You will get the noise from what I assume is data, loud static.

It scans its preprogrammed channels much faster. 

16 hours ago, WRPQ991 said:

Most all traffic above 6m is FM. The 2m SSB segment is just 144.100 to 144.275.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, bobthetj03 said:

Didn't want to mess with it and ended up returning it. Purchased this one instead.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-xs20g.html

I just got the Wouxun KG-XS20G PLUS. Getting about 26 watts on some channels. 24 on the rest. This is one of the best radios I've ever had. 

21 minutes ago, WRPG818 said:

I just got the Wouxun xs29g. Getting about 26 watts on some channels. 24 on the rest. This is one of the best radios I've ever had. 

The xs29g or the xs20g???

For you, what justifies the almost double cost compared to the DB20-g?

9 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

What I've heard up this way (mostly the air traffic control) was around 118 and 121mhz, but yes, definitely AM....I guess that's the bit excluded by "most all".

My mistake for relying on my memory and not looking it up but yes aircraft are around 118-121 MHz.

However, IMHO when saying "most all" is a much higher proportion than just saying "most" and hence the massive preponderance of aircraft communication on AM is not compatible with the suggestion of "most" let alone, "most all."

Someone pointed out elsewhere that they use AM for aircraft so that the "capture effect" of FM does not overwhelm an important transmission.

1 minute ago, MichaelLAX said:

My mistake for relying on my memory and not looking it up but yes aircraft are around 118-121 MHz.

Eh, I'm just relying on a small bit of anecdotal evidence, there may well be more above what I've heard.

I agree that "most all" may be a bit of over-generalizing if we're considering all radio traffic...the phrase may be accurate for amateur traffic, but I suspect air traffic is pretty significant in the overall scheme of things.

7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I believe that aircraft communications in the 130-150 MHz range is AM.

Commercial air band runs from around 118 to 136MHz. (Military is around 380MHz)

And yes, it is AM. There is reason for that. Unlike FM -- which has a "capture effect", where the strongest signal becomes the only signal that is "tracked" by the receiver; AM will let all signals on the frequency through. This is desirable because it means a distress call can be heard even while there is a communication going on between ground control and an aircraft.

29 minutes ago, catbrigade said:

I recently picked up one as well and have been very happy with it so far.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, catbrigade said:

I'm planning to go to an exam session Saturday morning to get my Technician license...

So much for your ability to be able to "open up" your Wouxun for Technician use. ☹️

On 12/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, MichaelLAX said:

So much for your ability to be able to "open up" your Wouxun for Technician use. ☹️

I'm not too worried about that. I've picked up a different Kenwood radio for the ham bands that can be "opened up" but it will be some time before I have time to get it installed in the car. Have to run power for it, the Wouxun has a smaller draw and can be run from the lighter plug.

5 hours ago, WRUE915 said:

It is for Prime members only.

If I am not logged in, it shows $109.

If I log with my ID (I don't have Prime) it shows $109.

When I log in with my son's ID (he has Student Prime) I shows $87.99.

• 1 year later...

This has been a good thread to follow. I have a DB20-G, and all the functions are working great with one interesting aside....

Any time a transmission comes in, the squelch STAYS broke after I am finished Rx'ing until either I Tx or press another button on the radio. Anyone else had this happen? I am assuming it is some setting I have off, I did try adjusting squelch up a bit to no avail. I also see the tail squelch termination and some other settings, my research has not given me great answers.

Any tips/tricks are appreciated!