Unlisted Central Florida repeater

Dansmach

I was driving home tonight In the Kissimmee/St Cloud area of Central Florida, scanning the channels as I usually do and I get a lot of chatter on 462.7250. Listening to the conversation, I find that the repeater was in the Lakeland area. I tried to break into the conversation on both 462.7250 and 467.7250 thinking it might be an open repeater, with no luck. So when I got home, I jumped on here and pulled up the map for local repeaters. I couldn’t find anything in the Lakeland area that lists enough wattage to reach me in the St Cloud area. Obviously it’s not listed with this group but there were at least a half dozen participants in the conversation. They obviously didn’t know each other, other than by call signs because one made a point of announcing he didn’t know anyone by name/handle. 

I would really like to find out more on this repeater and possibly join. But don’t really know where else to find any information other than the map and repeater links here on my gmrs.com. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Get a radio that can read the PL codes or if you have one of the call sign look them up in myGMRS or FCC and contact them and ask if they can get you in contact with repeater owner to get permission to use repeater...  I have a private family repeater and folks look me up and ask... I tell them it is private for family/friends/neighbors...  so just want you to be prepare for a no answer.  

That is why I have a Ham ticket and more repeaters then you can imagine.  In fact with a DMR ham radio like rFinder.com B1 unit it makes life so easy to talk to anyone with you Radio ID...

MacJack

I wonder if it's the Polk County 725 https://mygmrs.com/repeater/335 located in Bartow, southeast of Lakeland

It is an open repeater, when the band is open, I have hit it from here in North Clearwater/Dunedin in Pinellas County

The ops there said that the antenna is on a tower on the Polk County Public Safety Building

You probably had a one-way band opening where you could hear the repeater, but not be able to hit it from your location, I've had that happen to me, having a QSO, & then I drop out on my end, but I can still copy the repeater

When the band permits, that repeater can get really good coverage, the first time that I hit it, one of the ops I spoke with said that he was north of Orlando International Airport

Hope this info helps

Greg

WRCZ387

North Clearwater

14 hours ago, WRCZ387 said:

I wonder if it's the Polk County 725 https://mygmrs.com/repeater/335 located in Bartow, southeast of Lakeland

It is an open repeater, when the band is open, I have hit it from here in North Clearwater/Dunedin in Pinellas County

The ops there said that the antenna is on a tower on the Polk County Public Safety Building

You probably had a one-way band opening where you could hear the repeater, but not be able to hit it from your location, I've had that happen to me, having a QSO, & then I drop out on my end, but I can still copy the repeater

When the band permits, that repeater can get really good coverage, the first time that I hit it, one of the ops I spoke with said that he was north of Orlando International Airport

Hope this info helps

Greg

WRCZ387

North Clearwater

That may very well be the one. According to the coverage area it comes mighty close to the area I was in. I’ll send them a request and see if I can get on. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...