Licensing

Guest jan

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

You can frame it anyway you like. You’re still rolling the dice that nothing is going to happen. You might get away with it, until you don’t. And yes the FCC issues $10k fines. They have done it before, in the following case for simple unlicensed operation on GMRS.

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2011/DA-11-157A1.html

... You should also read this too. The FCC might have mercy on the unlucky, but then again maybe not. The government is running a big deficit, I guessing they won’t be in a charitable mood. Small staff in the enforcement section, they need to set some examples.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.313

So instead of giving us links to all of the "likely $10,000" fines for someone simply using a non-type accepted radio that you've been asked for now 3 times, you give us a link to ONE enforcement from 11 years ago for a BUSINESS that was using GMRS to run their business without a license.  Not even close being the same thing, and it's 11 years old.

THEN, to top it off, you tell us MORE Kaiser Soze stores?!  Dude.. You are an endless fountain of sadhammage and self-important, ignorant entertainment.. I am bookmarking your responses because they are LITERALLY what I talk/complain about all the time and people say "c'mon, nobody is that bad - you must be exaggerating".. 

I'm going to stop now because you're making this too easy - its like beating up the kid in the wheelchair at school - and I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

19 hours ago, Lscott said:

You can frame it anyway you like. You’re still rolling the dice that nothing is going to happen. You might get away with it, until you don’t. And yes the FCC issues $10k fines. They have done it before, in the following case for simple unlicensed operation on GMRS.

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2011/DA-11-157A1.html

Note that nothing else was mentioned as the cause for the fine, no interference etc., just unlicensed operation. They were even using purpose built GMRS radios, from Midland no less, not even modified Ham gear as you suggest. Further on the FCC said that simple ignorance of the necessity of getting a license does warrant any reduction in the fine. They aren’t screwing around. 

You should also read this too. The FCC might have mercy on the unlucky, but then again maybe not. The government is running a big deficit, I guessing they won’t be in a charitable mood. Small staff in the enforcement section, they need to set some examples.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.313

So, I'm not sure you're aware how a deficit works.

Without getting into the politics of deficits; the FCC still gets their funding. Deficits means the government borrows to cover that budget. But agencies like the FCC will get every penny that Congress authorizes them to get; it just means they may have to borrow to cover it.

That $10,000 fine is, once again, not even remotely related to the "otherwise legal" aspect that we're talking about here. That was a private business who was informed by the FCC of their illegal use and then refused to make amends; so they were then fined. Commercial use of a non-commercial band is absolutely something the FCC enforces heavily. In fact; that does tend to be where the FCC levies the bulk of their fines; against businesses who improperly use the airwaves. 

That's STILL not a case of someone transmitting on GMRS frequencies in a manner otherwise legal using ham radio equipment.

Also, regarding my 'checkbook' and another comment you made; I said in my initial correspondence with you that I'm not using GMRS in this way. I just think rooting for the FCC to drop $10,000 fines on people who are doing absolutely nothing harmful is a bizarre way to treat this community. You've made a lot of claims that you haven't been able to back up and I'm wondering if you might consider that you're a little off on some of your information, that's all. The purpose of a forum like this is to learn and share information. You are, of course, exactly right that using GMRS with a ham radio is in violation of the FCC's statutes. That is, I'll admit, part of the reason I don't do it. But I do wish the regulations were better thought out and I find the fear-mongering to be unhelpful in this conversation.