Scanning emergency frequencies

WROA675

Sorry if there's a thread for this topic already, didn't see it. Entered in emergency frequencies for my area (LASO, LAPD, FIRE) to listen on my Radioddity GM-30 (HT) but I haven't heard a peep. Tried switching it into synch mode, RX hopping (won't turn on), and even entering in the tones listed for some of the channels posted on radio reference dot com (some just say CSQ [whatever that is?]). I am just using the HT right now, and have crappy reception in my area (Canyon Country). Even my weather channel reception is spotty at best. Any input, suggestions, links to other threads, or advise would be appreciated. 

CSQ is carrier squelch (aka no tones). Hearing not a peep, my first thought is to double check that tones are really off though.

Besides that, it looks like their setup doesn't exactly lend itself to monitoring....radio reference indicates they don't repeat the mobile traffic (unit to dispatch), they talk direct to dispatch on the input frequency (so you'd need to monitor 2 channels to get both sides of a Convo). Probably aiding that, it looks like after the initial contact, they move off the dispatch channel to one of the tac channels. 

The limitations of the HT antenna, especially indoors may also be playing into it as well, given you mention that even the nws reception is spotty.

I just looked at the specs for your GM-30 on Radioddity's web site: 

Specifications:
Default Channels: 30
Channel Capacity: 250
Battery: 1500mAh, 7.4V
Output Power: 0.5W / 5W
Tones: 50 CTCSS / 104 DCS
Tx Frequency Range: 462.5625-467.7125 MHz
Rx Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz, 136-174 MHz, 400-470 MHz

Your UHF receive is 400 - 470 MHz, it doesn't tune high enough for those departments

According to the Radio Reference.com data base for LA County https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=201 

LACoF starts at 470 MHz

LAPD uses 484, 506 & 507 MHz

LASO runs between 482 -485 MHz

LAFD isn't even in the ball park, it uses higher 800 MHz channels

Have you updated the firmware & software to the current version? Maybe that will give you expanded receive

40 minutes ago, WRCZ387 said:

I just looked at the specs for your GM-30 on Radioddity's web site: 

Specifications:
Default Channels: 30
Channel Capacity: 250
Battery: 1500mAh, 7.4V
Output Power: 0.5W / 5W
Tones: 50 CTCSS / 104 DCS
Tx Frequency Range: 462.5625-467.7125 MHz
Rx Frequency Range: 65-108 MHz, 136-174 MHz, 400-470 MHz

Good catch, I didn't even think about the limits on the radio..a little spoiled with some of the less restricted stuff that will scan all the way up to 520.xxx

I know that 400-470 MHz is a very common UHF range in the radios nowadays, two of my Alinco h-t's go to 480 MHz [one will supposedly go higher if I update the firmware, but I believe in not fixing what isn't broken], my AnyTone AT-778UV mobile is labeled to go up to 490 MHz, & I remembered that those agencies operate higher than the usual 450-470 MHz, especially LAPD

I think that 470-512 MHz is/was called UHF T [for top?]

I don't use the GM-30, so I'm not familiar with it other than what users have posted

I hope that a software update solves the problem, it is convenient to carry only one radio for multi-use

7 minutes ago, WRCZ387 said:

I know that 400-470 MHz is a very common UHF range in the radios nowadays, two of my Alinco h-t's go to 480 MHz [one will supposedly go higher if I update the firmware, but I believe in not fixing what isn't broken], my AnyTone AT-778UV mobile is labeled to go up to 490 MHz, & I remembered that those agencies operate higher than the usual 450-470 MHz, especially LAPD

I don't use the GM-30, so I hope that a software update solves the problem, it is convenient to carry only one radio for multi-use

Very true...a lot of the surplus stuff I see is 450-512 split, with a the 400-470 side being a little less common but desirable....not to mention the baofeng/btech stuff doing basically 400-520.

32 minutes ago, WRCZ387 said:

my AnyTone AT-778UV mobile is labeled to go up to 490 MHz

One of the great benefits of my Anytone AT-779UV (a/k/a Radioddity DB-20G) is the ease to open it up to transmit on the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands as well as MURS.

Does the 778 have that capability too?

2 minutes ago, WRCZ387 said:

I don't use my Baofengs much anymore, I keep them for back up, I prefer my Alinco Part 90 rigs

I used CHIRP to edit their coverage down to 151-163 MHz on VHF for the MURS & NOAA weather channels + 462-468 MHz for GMRS

Yeah, I don't use the HT's much use outside of them acting as scanners. The BTech is my gmrs base, since the icom is not 95 (or even 90) certified.

That reminds me to add the MURS channels to my list for a Vertex HT I need to program

I haven't actually hooked it up yet, I've been into my h-t's too much, but according to the 778UV software:

Band 2: UHF{Rx(400 - 490 MHz) Tx(400 - 490 MHz)} VHF{Rx(136 - 174 MHz) Tx(136 - 174 MHz)}, so yes it will do full capability: 2 meter, MURS, 440, GMRS

Bands 1 & 3 must be for Europe &/or Asia because the 2 meter & 70 Cm coverage is reduced compared to the US band plan, so you'd have to use Band 2 here for full 2 meter & 70 CM coverage, even if you're not going to use MURS or GMRS

Band 1: UHF{Rx(430 - 440 MHz) Tx(430 - 440 MHz)} VHF{Rx(144 - 148 MHz) Tx(144 - 148 MHz)}

Band 3: UHF{Rx(430 - 440 MHz) Tx(430 - 440 MHz)} VHF{Rx(144 - 146 MHz) Tx(144 - 146 MHz)}

7 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

One of the great benefits of my Anytone AT-779UV (a/k/a Radioddity DB-20G) is the ease to open it up to transmit on the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands as well as MURS.

Does the 778 have that capability too?

The 778 is marketed as a dual-band ham radio, so it has 2m and 70cm capabilities from the start. It is not type accepted for GMRS to the best of my knowledge.

On the 779, it is marketed, and type accepted, as a GMRS radio, and the factory default is that it only transmits on GMRS frequencies. It can be reconfigured to a dual-band ham configuration, which also allows it to transmit on GMRS and MURS frequencies, although using it in this way may violate FCC regulations. I believe there is a stipulation in the regulations that says a GMRS radio cannot work on other services like the amateur radio service.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, wayoverthere said:

Good catch, I didn't even think about the limits on the radio..a little spoiled with some of the less restricted stuff that will scan all the way up to 520.xxx

Uh, no

Bad catch on my part, I didn't look at the modes being used

LAPD is P25, oops,

My bad is a severe understatement [hanging my head in shame]

At least LASO & LACoF are a mix of narrow band & wide band FM

Send me to my room to reread Frequencies & Modes 101 again

29 minutes ago, WRCZ387 said:

Uh, no

Bad catch on my part, I didn't look at the modes being used

LAPD is P25, oops,

My bad is a severe understatement [hanging my head in shame]

At least LASO & LACoF are a mix of narrow band & wide band FM

Send me to my room to reread Frequencies & Modes 101 again

Nah, the frequency thing is still a good catch...I didn't even catch the p25 thing7 because I was further up the page looking at LASD (rather than LAPD). Mildly interesting to note they appear to still have some licensed wideband channels (20k0f3e) too...I thought they mostly went narrow.

That said, I'd expect to hear something on the channels if able to tune them and they're in physical range, though it'd just be a different noise in the static (I have a couple of mixed mode repeaters in range up here in 70cm...you can tell when there's p25 going on vs the normal static), but fire up the p25 radio and that noise becomes a conversation.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:03 PM, Papatree said:

Quick update. With some help and the GM30, I was able to hear 484.96250 (LA County Fire Dispatch), so that's good to know going forward. It was shared that many of the emergency stations may be using digital tones. Gonna play around with it some more tomorrow. 

Every SHTF radio in SoCal should also have 450.7 MHz programmed into it (on a "scan-off" setting), so that when, for example, an earthquake hits, you can get immediate access to KNX-AM (1070 Hz), which is a great source for emergency information.