ID unknown frequencies

WROA675

Hey now...hope y'all are doing well. Newbie question here: is there a convenient way to track a frequency? So, I'm scanning my mobile and picked up some chatter, kinda sounded like security or law enforcement, I jotted down the frequency it was on, but lost the signal as I got closer to home. 

8 minutes ago, Papatree said:

Hey now...hope y'all are doing well. Newbie question here: is there a convenient way to track a frequency? So, I'm scanning my mobile and picked up some chatter, kinda sounded like security or law enforcement, I jotted down the frequency it was on, but lost the signal as I got closer to home. 

Radioreference.com has a pretty good list of frequencies, broken down by area, though I believe searching by frequency requires a subscription. If you navigate to state and county you may be able to narrow it down.

Failing that, it may be possible to dig up frequencies from the fcc database based on the antenna registration listings, since they're likely running through a repeater if it's public safety of some kind.

Edited by wayoverthere
corrected rr address

10 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Radio reference has a pretty good list of frequencies, broken down by area, though I believe searching by frequency requires a subscription. If you navigate to state and county you may be able to narrow it down.

Using Radio Reference, it shows it "belongs" to DreamWorks - security, however the status says cancelled in 2016. I wish I had pulled over to hear more, I know studios do a lot of filming up in my area and imagine it could have been them. Very interesting...part radio enthusiast, part detective ?

Just now, Papatree said:

Using Radio Reference, it shows it "belongs" to DreamWorks - security, however the status says cancelled in 2016. I wish I had pulled over to hear more, I know studios do a lot of filming up in my area and imagine it could have been them. Very interesting...part radio enthusiast, part detective ?

You can take the call sign listed on radio reference, see what fcc uls turns up, then maybe get the frn from the call sign and search on that, see if it turns up any more recent (active) calls. Kind of a rabbit hole when you start digging ?