WNY, Erie County NY GMRS

WROE799

10 hours ago, wrci350 said:

Not a member, and this is not an endorsement, but you might want to check this out: https://attica575.com

$10 per month! This is not what GMRS should become. Thanks for sharing the link so we can expose predatory behavior. They'll claim "but we spent $100k to build it". No one asked you to spend that! Can I use channel 16 simplex without causing interference? Do they own the air down there? GMRS does not have enough channels to not step on others.

Look at their list of rules. Tyrant much? Way to make people hate GMRS. $10 per month but feel guilty about using it to much. $10 per month and don't use your native language, because this is America. Wow. $10 per month for the privilege of new tyranny.

Repeater Rules & Guidelines:
3: Don’t monopolize the air - this repeater is for everyone’s use, and most importantly for backup/emergency communications. Keep traffic relevant and short.

5: we also require all traffic to be in English for interoperability among members.

Another quote (from their main website). Looks like they want to be momma bear. They will eventually become what they claim to hate. Off to a good start.

For too long, amateur radio and other services have made it too difficult for those that just want to get on the air legally and securely. Contact us on how to get your whole family on the air today.

7 hours ago, pcradio said:

Can I use channel 16 simplex without causing interference? Do they own the air down there?

You absolutely can use channel 16 for simplex. They do not own the air. If somebody does not need an access to this repeater system he is not required to pay anything.

8 hours ago, pcradio said:

$10 per month! This is not what GMRS should become. Thanks for sharing the link so we can expose predatory behavior. They'll claim "but we spent $100k to build it". No one asked you to spend that! Can I use channel 16 simplex without causing interference? Do they own the air down there? GMRS does not have enough channels to not step on others.

Look at their list of rules. Tyrant much? Way to make people hate GMRS. $10 per month but feel guilty about using it to much. $10 per month and don't use your native language, because this is America. Wow. $10 per month for the privilege of new tyranny.

Another quote (from their main website). Looks like they want to be momma bear. They will eventually become what they claim to hate. Off to a good start.

Private company charges for use of its equipment! News at 11!

You're not entitled to use somebody else's repeater, and it's quite reasonable to ask for money to offset construction and maintenance expenses. Sites aren't free, you know.

There is absolutely no reason they can not charge a monthly fee to help maintain equipment or cover tower lease fees. I know Attica repeater coverage is exceptional. In the past I had a group of folks that used my repeater and not official but we all pitched in for the electric and tower space. Its not free everywhere. Our SAR team pays $35.00 a month for electric at a site we use for 2 UHF repeaters and APRS. Money has to come from some place. My repeaters ae closed for this reason. I pay to maintain and put them up. You want free get your ham radio ticket and go use them. 

Let’s not derail this thread. If the original poster wants to start a GMRS radio group, that is their right. If one individual is not blessed to have the discretionary resources for original equipment plus the ongoing operating and maintenance expenses for a repeater and a group of folks decide to share the expense of doing so, so be it.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM