Emergency “307 Channel”

Guest Roverbill

Guest Roverbill

The State of Wyoming Homeland Security Office is promoting “Be 307 AWARE”,  the use of the “307 Channel” for Backcountry emergencies. They define this as GMRS Frequency 462.6125, “Privacy Code” 85.4 or Channel 3, Privacy Code 7, hence the “307 Channel”. Search and Rescue will only monitor and use this combination when a search is underway. Website for details is: hls.wyo.gov/307

On 10/20/2021 at 8:31 AM, Guest Roverbill said:

The State of Wyoming Homeland Security Office is promoting “Be 307 AWARE”,  the use of the “307 Channel” for Backcountry emergencies. They define this as GMRS Frequency 462.6125, “Privacy Code” 85.4 or Channel 3, Privacy Code 7, hence the “307 Channel”. Search and Rescue will only monitor and use this combination when a search is underway. Website for details is: hls.wyo.gov/307

This is an interesting concept, but is very much specific to Wyoming. For those that don't know, 307 is Wyoming's area code (yes, it's for the whole state). For Wyoming locals this might be easy to remember, but for folks from out of the state, probably not quite so much. In this day and age of cell phones, area codes are now just extra digits in many phone numbers, and don't necessarily represent the area where the phone is located or based out of.

Anyway, it's good to know about this movement. I'll try to keep it in mind when I am in Wyoming. I was not aware of it until you posted your comment here.