Midland MXT575 & MXT500 on Midland website now!

mrweller

Good morning fellow GMRS fans!

I am new to the world of GMRS as of about a month ago, but I picked up a Midland MXT275, but I have been reading about the upcoming MXT500 & MXT575 and am intrigued by the higher power offerings that are in the pipeline from Midland.

Today, I did a quick google search for Midland MXT575 and found a link to Midland's official website that was live and showed their price and included live links to the Spec Sheet and Owner's Manual as well.

It shows the price on the Midland website as $399.99 but is listed as SOLD OUT. But also shows "COMING SOON!" below it as well!

There are photos of the unit and it shows that it comes with the following in the box:

Package includes
• MicroMobile® GMRS 2-Way Radio
• Fully Integrated Control Microphone and Low Profile Hide Away Unit
• Detachable Mount
• Mounting Hardware and Microphone Holder
• MXTA51 – NMO Stock Antenna & Large Magnetic Base
• MXTA38 – Metallic Plate for Magnetic Mount
• Midland Vinyl Sticker (Midland Blue)
• Owner’s Manual
• Quick Start Guide

I would bet that I am not the only one that is interested in their MXT575 offering, so I thought I would share this bit of news that I uncovered.

I'll include the link to the page, but please delete the link if it goes against the forum rules.

Link to MXT575 on Midland website

The other way to find it, is to go to the MidlandUSA website and type MXT575 into the search bar and it will take you to the product page.

Here are the features that are listed on the page:

Features

Full 50W Radio
8 Repeater Channels, Split Tone Repeater Capable
15 High Power GMRS Channels
Fully Integrated Control Mic
NOAA Weather Scan + Alert
USB-C Charging
Speaker Mic Jack
Detachable Mount
142 privacy codes
Silent Operation
Channel Scan
Programmable Squelch
Keypad Lock
Monitor Mode
Keystroke Tones
Digital Volume Control
Backlit Display
Magnet Mount Antenna
Radio Dimensions: 5.5" x 1.5" x 7.3"
Compatible with all Midland FRS/GMRS radios
GMRS License Required

The MXT500 is also live on the Midland website now as well with the same "SOLD OUT" and "COMING SOON" information displayed on the page.

https://midlandusa.com/products/mxt500-micromobile®two-way-radio

• mrweller changed the title to Midland MXT575 & MXT500 on Midland website now!
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @OffRoaderXwhen might you get your hands on an MXT575 to test?  Any luck with that?  I'm hoping Midland turned the corner and shocks us with a home run on this!  I had an Mxt275 and loved the hand unit and speaker volume but ran into its limitations and moved on.  But I'd love it if the 575 fixes all that made the 275 fall short.

I replaced my 275 in my Jeep with a KG-1000G but just don't love mounting solution (yes, even with the remote faceplate) compared to the 275.  The KG-1000G performs better, thoiugh, but the speaker(s) just don't cut it, so I added an external, which complicates all the mounting even more.  The simple 275 was PLENTY loud with both speakers firing and the quality of the handset is light years ahead of the Wouxun or anything else, which feel really cheap.

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have had both an MXT500 and MXT575 for months.. But.. i'm not allowed to speak of them until the official release date, which so far, has not been confirmed by Midland...

Great!  Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them, particularly the 575!

On 11/20/2021 at 11:08 AM, OffRoaderX said:

I have had both an MXT500 and MXT575 for months.. But.. i'm not allowed to speak of them until the official release date, which so far, has not been confirmed by Midland...

I know you can't say anything, but it appears they left out channels 8-14, which are the low power channels. If that is indeed true.... Then I'll be looking elsewhere for a radio with all the channels included....But I have my fingers crossed....

Since they are designed as 50W mobile units, they will not carry the FRS only channels 8-14 mostly due to power. There is a lot more detail to this of course as to the channel spacing also which requires them to be narrow band, and these now have the option to go wideband. I am looking forward to the 500 and 575. While there are plenty of haters who push the Motorolas or Kenwoods, that is not needed IMO for the market Midland is targeting. Jeepers and family campers just want something that is end user friendly, packed full of features and ready to work out of the box without having to dig deeply in the software. Personally, I can go both ways when it comes to the radios but the form factor of the 575 and now having 50W and split tones, that is all I need for GMRS. For more than that, I can switch to my ham radios. :) 

2 hours ago, Greyrider said:

I know you can't say anything, but it appears they left out channels 8-14, which are the low power channels. If that is indeed true.... Then I'll be looking elsewhere for a radio with all the channels included....But I have my fingers crossed....

I believe the FCC rules limit Channels 8-14 to only HTs and hence any mobile unit, regardless of power is not able (per the rules) to transmit on these channels.

There seems to be some confusion that these are only FRS channels, with FRS limitations, such as a fixed antenna on the HT.  But it appears clear that GMRS HTs can include these channels within GMRS rules limitations.

The point of these channels is narrow-band limited coverage usages, such as within one building or close proximity etc. and the focus for usage for a broader coverage range should be on the other channels.

2 hours ago, Greyrider said:

None of the midland mobiles operate on 8-14. They are FRS only and only .5 watts. I don't think any certified GMRS radio would have those channels. While the Wouxon has them they are receive only. 

The real reason can be easily found within the FCC rules for GMRS. Specifically, the rule in Part 95, Subpart E which limits the frequencies commonly assigned to channels 8-14 to hand-held radios only. Here is the applicable section (from § 95.1763 GMRS channels):

(d) 467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5675, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

1 hour ago, kb2ztx said:

None of the midland mobiles operate on 8-14. They are FRS only and only .5 watts. I don't think any certified GMRS radio would have those channels. While the Wouxon has them they are receive only.

Can verify my older mxt115 completely skips 8-14, while the BTech 50x1 has them for receive only.

While I can't say with certainty, I expect the new Midland radios will be programmable to some extent, which would make it likely you could add channels 8 - 14. Keep in mind that transmitting on those channels is limited to 1/2 a watt, which is significantly less than what any mobile radio puts out on low power. That is the reason that mobiles that include those channels do so only for receive, not transmit.

Having the ability to monitor those channels may have some use, but when configured for receive only, you wouldn't be able to respond to anything you hear.

If you had read the rules above you would clearly see those channels are ONLY permitted to TX on a portable radio. No manufacturer will get acceptance if those are set for TX regardless of power. People tend to forget GMRS has specific rules. Just because your FRMS radio has something doe not make a GMRS certified mobile the same. 

(d) 467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5675, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

On 11/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, Greyrider said:

Perhaps his Wouxun KG-905G is his “elsewhere” radio?! ?

Take a look at the $109 Radioddity DB20-G as an alternative "portable" radio (a/k/a Anytone AT-779UV and Retevis Ra-25)

https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-db20g

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 10.01.35 AM.png

IMG_3491.jpg

8 hours ago, bobthetj03 said:

Who cares about channels 8-14.  If you want to talk to someone on 0.5 watt, grab your FRS radio and talk to them. You know you have a backup for your buds! 

I asked a similar question myself here once and got the reply that there are situations where low power and short distance are preferred: such as a situation inside one building, or a locale around a park or picnic grounds, etc.

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I asked a similar question myself here once and got the reply that there are situations where low power and short distance are preferred: such as a situation inside one building, or a locale around a park or picnic grounds, etc.

Those situations sound plausible, but most likely wouldn't require the use of a mobile radio. I'm pretty sure I'd be using a handheld radio for instances like that, so I don't really see the need for those channels on my mobile radios. They can often be added to a mobile radio in the event that one wishes to monitor those channels. In that case, if you hear something you want to respond to, just grab an HT, tune to the appropriate channel, and respond as appropriate. I suspect almost all of us have an HT within reach whenever we're using our mobile radios anyway...