Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:ask.
  • Ham Callsign:ask.

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:20 PM

Did you get it up and running? I have two TK880s and a Ham Gadgets ID-O-Matic III. I've run all the cable and wired it up but it's not transmitting. Something is wrong with my wiring.

not yet. its stilling on my desk now... waiting to be put together.  I have been playing with my GR1225 repeater in the meantime... I will def update here once i do.  Check the low and high key settings.

do you have any plans for making it battery powered?  I was thinking of building this as a grab-and-go box w separate battery pack / solar charger for camping and trips to the lake.

Sussex County, New Jersey.

I'm building a home DIY repeater system w Kenwood TK-880 & Elektra 2000

Comet CA-712EFC  + (Ed Fong PVC Jpole)

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

Motorola GR1225 Repeater - EX600XLS

#42 Sticks

Sticks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNQ305
  • Ham Callsign:K5OFZ

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

Sorry, guess I need to check my notification settings. Just saw y'alls replies. I have not had a chance to look at it again. I will double check active low keying though. 

Steve this particular one will go in a permanent location. If it works, I'll build another in a go box. We have plans to create a battery system with solar panels and multiple outputs. 

#43 Sticks

Sticks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNQ305
  • Ham Callsign:K5OFZ

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Ok, I've verified active low keying. I've checked voltage on pins 3 and 7 of the ID-O-Matic. Pin 7 is COR input. I get about 3.2v on the line when the radio is not receiving. Voltage grounds out when it should. Pin 3 is PTT output. I get voltage drop to key the transmitter but it is not keying. So it sounds like the receiving radio and controller are working just fine. No?

I'm started reading that I could just make a RICK cable for these radios to just jumper across. 

#44 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

Almost sounds like not enough drop to key the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#45 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • GMRS Callsign:WQOJ953
  • Ham Callsign:KB1MQG

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

Following....  I have a Tk880 as well and would like to get a 2nd of and make a repeater. I also have a Motorola M1225 I could use are a RX radio and pick up another 40W M1225 for the TX radio. I would prefer to go the Kenwood route.

#46 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:25 AM

Following....  I have a Tk880 as well and would like to get a 2nd of and make a repeater. I also have a Motorola M1225 I could use are a RX radio and pick up another 40W M1225 for the TX radio. I would prefer to go the Kenwood route.

Hello, Ken, and welcome to MyGMRS Forums.  Thanks for your input.

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#47 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1225 radios. I started playing with an RKR1225 not too long ago. I have several (new in box) UHF M1225's sitting in my closet and several VHF M1225's laying around. (Also have some PM400's laying about).

However, Ken, I would say it would probably be easier to pick up another M1225 as the 16 pin repeater cable runs about $10 online. There are also some 4 channel versions laying about here and there. Takes a little more time and effort to get it done with a Kenwood. Another plus, the Kenwood can be enabled for FPP (all the info is in the service manual which can be found on the Repeater Builder site). 

#48 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

Ah, I figured that is what most people would say. Is the programming software and cables available at a reasonable cost? My local radio shop wants $35.00 just to look at the radio.

The one I have now is a 25W 4 channel. It would make a good RX radio and has the 16 pin connector. I've seen the cables on eBay and they are very inexpensive. Probably the best way to go even with the cost of programming.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to go look for a M1225 repeater thread now.

#49 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

The way Motorola built their PAs, the 10W-25W radios are actually the most efficient. The RSS can be found online for free (P25 forums) and the same generally runs $20-$30 for a ribless model.

Depending on what version 880's you have, that software can also be found online for free.

#50 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

I have the software and cable for the 880 already.

OK, I'm not up to snuff on the Motorola lingo.  RSS = ? 

I'll go look for a Motorola forum.   Thanks!

#51 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

Usually stands for "Radio Service Software".

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#52 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

Usually stands for "Radio Service Software".

Software definitions.

KPG - Kenwood Software

CE - Vertex Software

RSS - Motorola's Radio Service Software, usually DOS based but there are some exceptions with the 1225, Quantar, MCS and a few others.

CPS - Motorola's Consumer Programming Software, all made to run in Windows.

CS - Icom's Software

#53 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Got it and thanks again. I looked around for a forum last night but didn't come up with much. didn't have a lot of time to spend on it either. I'll keep looking today.

Thanks again.

#54 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Also, I have found the accessory pigtail for the Kenwood TK-880 on line for 21 bucks.

#55 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

yes, i was just going to tell you that i found them on ebay... you should grab a pair of them, they are hard to find, and it will allow you to just plug in without having to solder directly to the board.     You'll also need the plugs for the other end.  I might have already posted which parts they are on this thread.

as for my updates, i'm just having trouble finding the time right now to do this...  but i do want to build a portable system with these. I just need to make the cables (i have all the parts for them) and assemble the radios into a case like an old plastic tool box.  It should be some what water proof but allows air flow and cooling.  That's the key.    These radios will get plenty hot in the sun before they even kick on. 

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#56 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Sorry, guess I need to check my notification settings. Just saw y'alls replies. I have not had a chance to look at it again. I will double check active low keying though. 

Steve this particular one will go in a permanent location. If it works, I'll build another in a go box. We have plans to create a battery system with solar panels and multiple outputs. 

yes, that's exactly what i want to do.  make a go box with these... i think cooling is going to be a challenge.   the battery and solar charging is trivial, you just buy the kit online to charge.   mounting and connecting it all up is the hard part.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#57 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

I'm started reading that I could just make a RICK cable for these radios to just jumper across. 

i forgot what a RICK cable is, is that where you just connect the front RJ45 plugs into each other?  if that was possible, i'm not sure i would want to do that... yes ,its simple, but i rather spend a little more time and get the controller in there for all the extra features you'd get.  I figure if i 'm going to spend that much time and money on this, i want to have it fully functional. 

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#58 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

Repeater Builder has a good write up on off grid repeater systems.

The rick connects through the rear accessory connector on 16 pin radios. Bit more of a pain if we are talking about using the masked logic boards with 5 pin accessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#59 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

I always skipped the RICK (it was just another way for M to get another $300 out of a customer) and built my own, or used one from MRE1032 (MRE Direct) on eBay. I run one of those on a couple of M208's right now, it has a delay and adjustable audio. You can also use a 5 Pin for the TX as they use the RJ45. I think the only issuse using a 5 Pin for RX was getting COR to the RJ45. I didnt' want to modify the radios, so I never did that specifically. 

#60 WQOJ953

WQOJ953

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thoughts on the ID-O-Matic IV controller?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users