Baofeng UV0-9G and Radioddity DB-25G Programming Issues

WROR417

Question

Hello all,

I hate to beg for help in my first post but I'm at a loss trying to program two radios.

First, let me give some background. As a retired IT guy, I have tried to stay away from Microsoft products in my personal life. I loved them when I was supporting them because they kept me employed, but I didn't want to support myself through all of the MS issues when I got home. For that reason I have been a happy, problem free Apple user for years.

Well, these two radios use programming software that only run on Windows, So I installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro using Parallels. The install went fine and other than the typical hours spent upgrading and patching a new Windows install, I was relatively pain free. I then installed the radio software and that's where the trouble started. The Baofeng software installed and opened fine, but when I try to download from the radio, it sits on "Handshake" until I close the program. The Radioddity software was more troublesome. Each time I tried to open it, it failed due to dependency problems. It kept locking for .ocx files. I rounded each file up and registered them until the program finally ran. Now when I try to read from that radio, I get Com Port errors. Sometimes I can get the program to recognize com3 but even then it will stall trying to download the config from the radio. 

My guess is my issues stem from running Windows 10 on top of MacOS, but I wondered anyone else experienced an issue like this and if you resolved it? Since it's affecting both radios, I'm sure it's something to do with the Windows install and the complexities running one OS on top of another.

Thanks,

Scott

Yes, it is the same with Chirp and the provided software and also when you program the channel manually. I got a reply back from support and again all they can do is point me at the manual and the software. I countered with the information that I am using the software and I am aware of how to manually program the radio which is a pain BTW so if they reply with anything less than a solution to the issue I will return the radio with lesson learned. I can understand a cheap radio not putting out the advertised wattage which mine is doing about 19 but it was also advertised with the ability to add channels that have receive and transmit support. I would not recommend this radio to anyone. It would be best to save a bit longer and get a real radio and skip these cheap Chinese wannabes. 

13 minutes ago, WRPD822 said:

Yes, it is the same with Chirp and the provided software and also when you program the channel manually. I got a reply back from support and again all they can do is point me at the manual and the software. I countered with the information that I am using the software and I am aware of how to manually program the radio which is a pain BTW so if they reply with anything less than a solution to the issue I will return the radio with lesson learned. I can understand a cheap radio not putting out the advertised wattage which mine is doing about 19 but it was also advertised with the ability to add channels that have receive and transmit support. I would not recommend this radio to anyone. It would be best to save a bit longer and get a real radio and skip these cheap Chinese wannabes. 

The DB20-G/Anytone AT-779UV twins can do what you want. They don't work with Chirp, though, so the factory software is the only programming software I know of that works with them currently. They also put out about the same amount of power (15 to 18 watts), and can be unlocked to allow use on UHF & VHF ham frequencies. I've experienced some quirks with the factory software, but if you know what to expect, it works reasonably well.

I have one in my truck and another at my desk. Both of them are programmed to use my family repeater, but also to monitor a nearby 70cm ham repeater. These are both in channels that I added after the existing 30 "standard" channels.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, WyoJoe said:

Is the situation the same if using both factory software and Chirp?

I found a QYT-KT8900D radio that is the same as the Radioddity unit.  That radio calls out in the description that it will not transmit above channel 30.  I cut bait and returned my 25W radio and picked up the 20 watt radio.  It gives an additional 8 repeater channels and that has been working for me. 

The DB-20G is a much different radio than the DB25 and does not seem to suffer from its problems.

The only two features I am missing on my two DB-20G clones (Anytone AT-779UV) are:

1) Tone Scanning; and

2) feature programming software.

And a 50 watt model would be nice, too! ?