Basic Base Unit

WROA675

• 4 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 5:59 AM, MichaelLAX said:

@Papatree: This is the Icom model that I was referring to that was the competitor to the Yaesu FT-857d at the time (both mobile styled units).

Although the 706 had a larger display screen, my recollection is that the Yaesu FT-857d won out in the marketplace.

This seems to be confirmed in its higher pricing in the used market today, as well.

I originally had the Yaesu FT-817, but it is a QRP low powered rig and my advice is that QRP is an acquired taste that takes much patience and should be postponed until you have a need for a battery powered unit (camping, SOTA, etc.).

I sold my 817 on eBay and then immediately acquired my 857d (100 watts on HF and 6 Meters; 50 watts on 2 meters and 20 watts on 70 cm).

I initially used to keep my 857d in a backpack with a LDG AT-100Pro II antenna tuner and a collapsable 80-10 meter vertical antenna that I purchased on eBay and take it out for day trips.  It is now my dedicated HF rig in my shack:

Here was the "portable" setup, including the Duracell PowerPack 600: a 12 volt 28Ah rechargeable power unit, that came with Anderson PowerPole connectors for easy connection/disconnection:

HF portable.jpg

Not sure if you've made some purchases by now, but the Yaesu FT-857(D) is a great value; I had one and LOVED it. Had to sell it to finance a fledgling photography business. Even though Yaesu has finally discontinued that radio, you can find one fairly easily online.

Warren, WQ1C / WRPC505 

45 minutes ago, WRPC505 said:

Not sure if you've made some purchases by now, but the Yaesu FT-857(D) is a great value; I had one and LOVED it. Had to sell it to finance a fledgling photography business. Even though Yaesu has finally discontinued that radio, you can find one fairly easily online.

Warren, WQ1C / WRPC505 

I’ve had one for years but disappointed in its front end. 

perhaps mine was bad from the start but @Papatree’s FT-691 is pulling stations out of the noise that I cannot discern  what they’re saying!

On 6/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, WRPC505 said:

Yes sir, thanks for the info, and I went with the Yaesu 891. Loving it, great for POTA and SOTA. Since I'm in a condo with hoa restrictions my antenna setup is limited, however considering the Yaesu 991A or ICOM 7300, in the future, for a base unit. Would be nice to have a HF rig in my truck, but again, antenna considerations may keep me from doing that. Meanwhile, enjoying my DB-20 mobile and the TYT 9800 base.

73 de W6KCO/WROA675

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, WROA675 said:

Yes sir, thanks for the info, and I went with the Yaesu 891. Loving it, great for POTA and SOTA. Since I'm in a condo with hoa restrictions my antenna setup is limited, however considering the Yaesu 991A or ICOM 7300, in the future, for a base unit. Would be nice to have a HF rig in my truck, but again, antenna considerations may keep me from doing that. Meanwhile, enjoying my DB-20 mobile and the TYT 9800 base.

73 de W6KCO/WROA675

I think you made a pretty good choice.