As a General class Ham and licensed GMRS radio operator, I had the choice to make when getting my first radio, I required GMRS repeater pair access so for budget concerns i chose the Baofeng UV5RE dual band so called "cheap Chinese radio" I have used this radio and a 2nd UV5RE with an elderly neighbor who has no phone and is in poor health. to maintain contact and offer assistance when needed. this person has fallen shearing the sma-f to BNC quick connector twice now, has slept on the radio and submerged it in water several times. and all around abused the radio beyond anything i could do to it in normal use. and I must say for less than $50 this instrument is built like a brick S#!t house. the soft rubber keys have faded on the 2nd unit. mine are still like new. I occasionally use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the antenna jack on both radios and I expect mine to last years, his not so much. but we will see.

Logan5 - there were 7 posts identical to the one above over a time span of 40 minutes.  I removed 6 of them because they all contained the same text.

The forum takes a little time to process new posts - especially when the server hosting the forum is working hard on it's tasks, so give it a little time when you hit the "Add Reply" button.  Thanks. 

I have two of the Boafengs. I have the extra batteries and Nagoya 771 antennas. They work well. The one upgrade that I did do was to open up the microphone hole slightly. This cured what seemed to be low audio. Mouth placement is important with these radios as the location of the hole is not instinctive.

For your elderely friend. Try to pick up on of the stubby dual band antennas for about six bucks. They are only about an inch long. I will tell you that they do not work very well on the VHF side (understandably) but work fine on the UV5R in GMRS and 70cm for local repeaters. Also some antenna's do not fit the UV5R perfectly, leaving a gap. A small rubber washer will tighten them up and make it less prone to breakage. Bill

I have two of the Boafengs. I have the extra batteries and Nagoya 771 antennas. They work well. The one upgrade that I did do was to open up the microphone hole slightly. This cured what seemed to be low audio. Mouth placement is important with these radios as the location of the hole is not instinctive.

For your elderely friend. Try to pick up on of the stubby dual band antennas for about six bucks. They are only about an inch long. I will tell you that they do not work very well on the VHF side (understandably) but work fine on the UV5R in GMRS and 70cm for local repeaters. Also some antenna's do not fit the UV5R perfectly, leaving a gap. A small rubber washer will tighten them up and make it less prone to breakage. Bill

Bill - A sugegstion... Since I supply portables to my Chaplain Responder team and some radios are different than others, I have placed a white, stick on paper binder reinforcer over the mic opening so everyone can find the mic regardless of which radio that they are using.  The link below will show you what I am refering to and these are available at any office supply store. They work well and they don't leave a mark when they are removed.

http://www.staples.com/Avery-Reinforcements-for-Hole-Punched-Pages-Clear-200-Pack/product_166322

• 5 months later...

I just picked up one of these (recieved it via Amazon) yesterday...it feels like a pretty solid unit.  Going to work on programming it over the next few days and give it a good test run in my area.  I've tried hitting a couple of repeaters in my area with my father-in-law's woxum hand-held (he has his ham license) but not was not able to detect the repeater.

I'll follow up this post with what happens... :-)

-David

I still have the UV5r's I started with, They both work perfectly, one is missing the volume knob,  I got extra battery's in today.  These radios are good radios although they are not Part95 certified and not technically suitable for legal GMRS use. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! for me these radios were a great place to start. Emission splatter seems minimal, works with both of my repeaters in both wide and narrow. These radios are cheap enough to be disposable and that opens up lot's of possibility's. I also like the BF888 UHF radios and the UV3r 2 watt, mini dual banders. "again not Part95"  The 888 is a 5 watt UHF only radio, could be perfect for basic users, all channels can be set to same, so user can not accidentally change settings. The UV3r has a locking knob that controls menu options and volume pre-set's, making it also hard to change settings by accident, or turn the volume all the way down. Both the 888 and the UV3r are pocket radios, so very attractive for persons wishing a more compact radio. 

Guest spd641

I believe, the UV-5RE Plus (which I have) is part 95 certified as well as the UV-5R. I remeber looking this up to make sure it was part 95 at one point in time but I don't have the website bookmarked (FCC).  I will search again to make sure I have the cert info...

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

There is the website to check the Part 95 certification but I do not think you will find any Part 95 for Baoefeng,they do not show anything but Part 90 if I am not mistaken but I could be wrong it has been some time since I looked for the certification for Baofeng radio but they are good to go on the amateur bands,hope this helps and if Pastor Gary or myself may assist you with anything just let us know and we will be glad to pass it along to you....William

There is always good and bad with this type of thing. Back in the day, every radio had to be programmed or crystalled. You really couldn't buy a cheap radio and play on your own (in part 90/95).

But now these cheap radios that anyone can program, by keypad or free s/w are out there, and I have an UV5R too, I tinker with it. The issue is any ya-hoo can get one...and get on frequencies he is not allowed on. There is a  have a guy locally running around asking for radio checks on the Sheriff's UHF, the VHF Fire, and a local company's wide area VHF....so I guess it's the good with the bad. 

• 2 months later...

I have found these Baofeng radios run hot when talking for long times, at this point the transmission seems to break down and must cool down before it becomes effective again,. I seldom have long winded convos, but this has been discovered, you get what you pay for. this is in addition to their lack of part95 cert. something to consider when purchasing radios. Best regards Jim...

All HTs seem to run hot on long transmissions. I have had a Yaesu, Icom, and 2 Wouxun. All of these units run very warm when transmitting. The radios with a metal exterior run uncomfortably hot since the case is acting like a heat-sync. I have never experienced malfunction when this happens, but because of this I try to keep from long Tx on these units.

Thanks for your input Jeremy, we have noticed a considerable reduction in effective communication when the uv5r gets hot and it seems to degrade very quickly. this has only recently become noticeable. so today I changed my TOT to 30sec. from 1min. I have found the uv3r at only 2 watts, to be a little better. either way, I think these radios lack a good heatsink, and considering the quality of the Chinese battery on said radios. lol.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

There is the website to check the Part 95 certification but I do not think you will find any Part 95 for Baoefeng,they do not show anything but Part 90 if I am not mistaken but I could be wrong it has been some time since I looked for the certification for Baofeng radio but they are good to go on the amateur bands,hope this helps and if Pastor Gary or myself may assist you with anything just let us know and we will be glad to pass it along to you....William

You are correct, the Baofeng UV-5R and it variants are not FCC Part 95 certified for GMRS use here in the USA.

Gary WPQS324/N9PTC

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Baofeng UV-5R and a UV-5RE Plus.  They both seem to work as intended.  I figured they would be cheap replacements for my ageing FT-50R.  I had low expectations of their performance due to the price so I am not dissapointed.  Just wish they would cover AM Aircraft. 

I can say this, if its at all possible to ditch the stock antenna, do it.  It seems to make a big differance. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a UV-5RC for two weeks now.  I'm actually impressed with it.  I didn't have great expectations for it, and I must say... it exceeded thos expectations.  The single biggest key to programmin them via computer is to get a GOOD cable to start with.  While Miklor.com addresses the problems with the cheap programming cables with the counterfeit Prolific chips, there is a better option for those still needing to get a cable.  Three Old Crows (threeoldcrows.com) carries a genuine Prolific chip cable, at a reasonable price, as well as an FTDI one that are basically trouble free.  I also found a blog post that explains the manual programming process in simple and functional terms.  I'll post that link below.

While some have complained about these radios getting hot when transmitting a lot, and others have said that all H/ts do, I'll throw in my 2 cents.  My OLD Icom U-16 used to get pretty hot, as did my Motorola MT-1000.  However, the MT-1000 was far better on that issue.  This being said, H/Ts aren't designed for rag chewing.  Their primary purpose is to provide basic communications while away from a base or mobile radio.Base/mobile radios are designed for more continuous use.  If you're heating up your H/T that much, you're effectively using it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

There is always good and bad with this type of thing. Back in the day, every radio had to be programmed or crystalled. You really couldn't buy a cheap radio and play on your own (in part 90/95).

But now these cheap radios that anyone can program, by keypad or free s/w are out there, and I have an UV5R too, I tinker with it. The issue is any ya-hoo can get one...and get on frequencies he is not allowed on. There is a have a guy locally running around asking for radio checks on the Sheriff's UHF, the VHF Fire, and a local company's wide area VHF....so I guess it's the good with the bad.

hello all! first post here. I mostly lerk but, would like to say thanks to all for this resource. I live in se Idaho and my favorite activity is snowmobiling in the surrounding mtns. back country off trail, boondocking as we call it. I've been a radio enthusiest for as long as I can remember. at this point me and my riding group use these radios to help us stay together in the mtns. the blister packs just don't cut it at .5w. from mtn top to mtn top the blisters will get out, way out. but that isn't what we need. our needs are more, up the canyon, through the trees and around the corners or, the canyon on the other side of the ridge. these radios work so much better than the blisters. while I'm on this subject, the garmin rino GPS/FRS/gmrs, thoroughly underwhelming! might as well save some $ and buy a blister.

anyway, I replied to this particular message because, I was perusing amazon, reading the reviews and comments, the radio ignorance is unbelievable. seems to be especially true concerning the bf888. comments like, I bought these for my grandsons and they really like them. also, from another, do you need a license for these? answered several times, "NO"! never any mention that these are not to be used with factory programing, or what a pain it can be to program the very first time.

I'm thinking that the FCC will get involved and start looking real close at these radios and their potential for abuse/misuse. all that needs to happen is for some sa kids to interfere with an emergency activity, making the situation/emergency worse, maybe even to the point of costing a life. when that happens, the FCC will come down like ugly on an ape.

one other thing, on the lighter side, my call sign, I got lucky, didn't chose it, just what uncle charlie issued. you can go to ruger.com and look it up.

oops, message got cut off or I just typed too much. anyway I'm registered here and my call is available to those who are also registered. I monitor .550 and .600 (cause thats where the licened locals are) if you happen to be passing through or live near by.

question for the group. why would someone put up a repeater, set it to id at seemingly random intervals and never ever use it? I've listened for years and never heard anything but the id?????? has good coverage too. probably 40-80 miles depending on terrain.

I also have a BF888 and I like it for GMRS, and repeater use. I am aware it is not Part95. It has a High/Low TX setting. 2/1 watt's This complies with GMRS rules, but not FRS's 1/2 watt limit, also FRS does not allow removable antenna. I find the 888 to be a nice 16 dollar radio. it is what is is, useful.

I have a bf888, 4 uv3r's, 1 b5, 2 5r's. All good radios! So much better than the blisters. Now this is just my opinion... If a guy uses these on gmrs and is careful not to misbehave, there will never be a problem. However the radios that are listed on amazon and eBay ext, get sold to people that know nothing about freq/channel allocation or anything else rf related. These buyers are not even sure what the numbers are on their car stereo. That person is going to get in some big trouble. Not a matter of if, its when and how much. If you get some free time read some of the reviews and the Q&A's on the amazon listings for the bf888. I was surprised and a little dumbfounded. People are Buying these, especially the bf888, and using them as supplied. I wish baofeng would at least ship with the memory empty....