POWER BACK-UP POLE

JCR

POWER BACK-UP POLL  

12 members have voted

1. 1. HOW MANY HAVE POWER BACK-UP PLANS FOR RADIO? THIS IS JUST FO FUN.....

• HAVE A PLAN
    • DO NOT HAVE A PLAN
  2. 2. PLAN TYPE?

• BATTERY - SOLAR
    • GAS - LP GENERATOR
    • OTHER...NUCLEAR?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/22 at 10:49 AM

The term "backup" has many stages, and isn't quite limited to just one method. I have enough batteries for my primary to last about a week, I have a small fleet of radios that could last about a week with limited usage, and that's just the handhelds. I also have the vehicular radios, then there are options for HF radio as well.

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, JCR said:

HOW MANY HAVE POWER BACK-UP PLANS FOR RADIO?  THIS IS JUST FO FUN.....

I general I have several different sized LFP, Lithium Iron Phosphate, battery packs, solar panels and MPPT charge controllers. Then to connect everything up I have pre-made cables and adapters using Anderson Power poles all stored away. Most of my equipment are handhelds so I keep several battery packs charged up and on standby. The NiMH packs I have to rotate through the chargers somewhat frequently due to their higher self discharge rates. The Lithium Ion type packs can last for months without losing to much of their charge. I also have a few mobile power adapters for the handheld radios.

For the higher power mobile type radios I can power them off a large 40AH LFP battery pack. That one using a large Anderson Power Pole adapter. That's wired to a terminal block where I can branch off using the smaller adapters.

I keep several 12VDC LED strips, about 3 to 5 watts, around for emergency lights too.

The solar panels are typically anywhere from 5 watts, 10 watts, 20 watts, 30 watts and 50 watts each. They're small enough to store easily and setup. The smaller panels are perfect for keeping the handheld radios going.

Most of the Kenwood charger bases need 15VDC to work at about 1 amp. For those I have some DC to DC converters that will take 9.8VDC to 36VDC input and provide a regulated 15VDC output at up to 1 amp for the chargers. Perfect for battery operation.