gmrs repeaters

WROZ286

1 hour ago, WROZ286 said:

i'm  new to gmrs and i live in st louis mo. and it seems that i can't find a local repeater in my area i'm very confused lol

i thank you for your reply but the west overland is close to me but i think it is not working excuse the wording but it's not open yhe ones under the one with joplin mo they are close i just may have to monitor them and see comes of them  thank you 

What radio are you using? Do you know how to program the Repeater channels with the necessary tones?

Can you drive closer to a repeater, presuming you have an HT, and try to listen for a "repeater tail" after you identify yourself?

Just trying to help out...

12 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

What radio are you using? Do you know how to program the Repeater channels with the necessary tones?

Can you drive closer to a repeater, presuming you have an HT, and try to listen for a "repeater tail" after you identify yourself?

Just trying to help out...

i am using a radioddity gm-30 i do know how to program it but couldn't find any repeaters in my area but did look at the list you sent to me and will try that i all so would like to get my tech license also i also have a radioddity gd-77 digital radio and all my family my to sons and my wife all have the gm-30 i also drive taxi and i have a QYT kt-8900t tri-bander and i have been on hamstudy to help me study for the test i keep booming getting 20-24 out of 35  not looking good for me lol  and i do thank you for all your help  i will try to drive around to see if i can hit them or not ......i also using the rubber duck stock on the gm-30 i do have a diffrent one to put on radio but i need a tool to take off the rubber duck antenna            marvin   WROZ286

1) Hex tool will loosen the screw at the bottom of the rubber duck antenna so that you can unscrew it.  Many people like the Nagoya 771-G antenna as a replacement for portability or even a $30 mag-mount dual-band antenna can be placed outside on your vehicle (I suggest the Nagoya for now).

2) Keep up the good work on your Tech license studies.  Have your sons help you out with the questions and they can point you to better answers.

@Papatree: Do you have some Tech study tips for Marvin? He also has the GM-30 and I think the same QYT!

3) I have the Radioddity RD-5R DMR HT which is electronically the GD-77 in a Baofeng UV-5R style case.  Once you get your Tech license I can help you program a Codeplug for St. Louis and with DMR (and hopefully a local DMR repeater, or a "hotspot") you will be chatting all over the world!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

oh yeah i forgot i also have two baofeng uv-5r radios that i do have nagoya whip on that i will exchange from the uv-5r to the gm-30 once i get the hex tool thanks for the info i would really love for you to help me out with my gd-77 and codeplugs i am just listening now on my gd-77 i manage to program a local talk group in now but i disalbed the tx function on it and i use it in monitor mode and i just started to follow you also hope it ok thanks

Good work getting your GD-77 to receive DMR!  So you have local DMR repeater?

I do not know if the GM-30 and the UV-5R have the same gender SMA connector: one may be male and the other female.  

There is an adapter, which I have and use, but it puts more force on the base of the antenna potentially breaking the HT!

yeah i know i do have two diffrent types of adapters to use but i think i will end up getting an antenna for the gm-30 just to be safe like you said it will put more stress on it i got the adapters when i got my qyt ky-8900t mobile unit with a tram 1185 mag mount.  yes i got the gd-77 on dmr but it's not fully programed yet but i not worried just yet for dmr because i need my tech first but i am very excited to get it going i heared good things about dmr and d-star

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I do not know if the GM-30 and the UV-5R have the same gender SMA connector: one may be male and the other female. 

The UV-5R requires an SMA Female antenna, while the GM-30 requires an SMA Male antenna.

3 hours ago, WROZ286 said:

yeah i know i do have two diffrent types of adapters to use but i think i will end up getting an antenna for the gm-30 just to be safe...

For GMRS use, I'd recommend the Nagoya 771-G from BuyTwoWayRadios.