noob question

Landshark

I am curious what would cause a GRMS channel to push out signal that just sounds like the squelch control is turned off, for the last week or so here in LA, Ca channel 22 sounds that way, I first thought maybe I had done something with my KG1000 but I checked with one of my handhelds it was doing the same thing. In the past there had been some obnoxious users on 22 so I wondered could this be the local repeater owner causing this to discourage the use of the channel or is some weird going on here

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

In the past there had been some obnoxious users on 22 so I wondered could this be the local repeater owner causing this to discourage the use of the channel or is some weird going on here

Both

UPDATE: I have tried to include a 63 KB mp3 audio clip of the output of the repeater, but this forum will not accept it.

The story, as told to me, is that two Titans of the Los Angeles GMRS community, DD and KB, have somewhat disputed claims to the Channel 30 Repeater pair and are attempting to show off whose J-Pole is longer! ?

Here is a bit out of date discussion of 725 from back in 2019; although the current "war" is a new twist:

Reddit 2019 discussion of 725 LA Repeater

Interesting information. I live in an area that has only one repeater and it can only be reached occasionally by standing on one foot while facing North and holding your mouth just right. This is one reason I don't frequent the HAM repeaters anymore. Radio for me is no longer a NEED as it was in my job. I didn't realize that type of attitude had moved to GMRS. Although I shouldn't be surprised. I wonder if DD and KB have Amateur licenses as well...

Not sure that Ham status has anything to do with it, but one appears to be a life-long professional broadcasting engineer (whose GMRS license appears to have expired years ago) and the other appears to be avoiding a $24,000 fine assessment from the FCC and perhaps even prosecution by other law-enforcement agencies!

I try to avoid "that" repeater, but it is somewhat like a dumpster fire: it attracts your attention!

But after a few minutes of the filth and hate that pours out of their mouths, I realize that it is better to corral all of them into just one repeater, and spare the rest of us their indignities.

That is why I am saddened by the current interference war; some of them have moved to the other available repeaters.

I had to program an obscure digital DCS tone into my 10 year old grandson's HT for that channel, so as to keep him from accidentally hearing their chatter...

1 hour ago, JJarman said:

I hope there is a way to listen to the madness somehow from a far away land? 

Until a link is established, if ever, to the 725 Los Angeles GMRS repeater, try this:

K6MWT 147.4350 MHz Los Angeles Renegade 2-Meter Repeater

Do not listen if children or other sensitive ears are present.