Hints, suggestions, ideas, when programming a Wouxon KG905G

Bugkiller

Got in cable, software to program my HT.  Any suggestions, hints,ideas, things to avoid? Obviously don’t screw up the radio would be #1. :)   

Biggest thing is I don’t want to find out 6 months later it would have been easier had I done something a particular way now.   

My initial goal is to put in some repeaters, some freq I want to monitor.  

What have you found helpful for you?  Or something you did that you found was a PIA.  

The software is pretty easy to use and the radio is pretty simple.. My suggestions are dont unplug the radio when you're uploading to it, and dont drop it in the bathtub.. Those are about the only ways you'd be able to mess it up..

If you had got a 935G you would be able to catch it on fire (I seen it on Yootoob!), but I wouldnt try that with the 905G

Got in cable, software to program my HT.  Any suggestions, hints,ideas, things to avoid? Obviously don’t screw up the radio would be #1.    
Biggest thing is I don’t want to find out 6 months later it would have been easier had I done something a particular way now.   
My initial goal is to put in some repeaters, some freq I want to monitor.  
What have you found helpful for you?  Or something you did that you found was a PIA.  

Suggestions.

1) Before making any changes to the radio, Using the software, read from the radio, save, archive and protect from loss the original configuration. This is for your protection unless you do somehow bugger things up down the line.
2) Start you programming always by use a copy of the original configuration read from the radio.
3) Leave the original 30 channels in the radio, exactly as they were at the time of purchase. This is just for consistency and compatibility between radios.
4) Add your ‘custom’ channels to the end of the list. You can put them in any order you choose, but put them in an order that is meaningful and useful to you. I suggest putting them in the next unused “channel group” on your radio. Doing so will make it easy for you to hop to them quickly using a function key. Depending upon where you place them, you may be able to scan just your repeater channels and not everything else if you do not want to.

In my case, I have the original channels programmed per the factory. Then, because I want the ability to program new repeater channels on the fly when traveling, and what all like-frequency repeaters together, I have 8 pre-configured memories in place for each of the 8 repeater pairs (64 total). They are all labelled with a number (550,575,600,625,650,675,700,725) to aligns with the frequency they operate on. They are all order. They all start out generic (without CTCSS/DCS codes) and have have a letter suffix (e.g. 700-A, 700-D, etc.). Those that get used for specific repeaters, I alter the name (e.g. 700-CNCY). For me it puts all of my 550 repeaters together, my 700 repeaters together, etc..
This pattern has worked beautifully for my needs. All of my GRMS radios, mobile, base, HT are configured this same way.

While my methodology is overkill for some, it has proven to be a huge time and effort saver over the last 1-1/2 years.

Good luck, and enjoy your radio.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks for the help.  Struggled more figuring out the process than I did programming the radio.  Going to be a work in progress, as I have several permission requests on repeaters pending.  

I managed to turn back on the annoying key pad beep, I’ll have to figure out were in the computer programming that is and fix that!  That, and the voice guide I can do without.  Went into the radio and got rid of those pronto.  

This is a good preliminary start.  I’ve got a 9 pro on back order, that will be more of a challenge.  But this helped me understand the process.  That, and the help you provided, thanks again.  

Edit to add:  Well, it’s take less than 24 hours for me to determine I want to arrange things differently.  Decided to go with a more strict geographic, i.e. by the interstate road, listing.  But, that’s OK, I’m sure I’ll change it several times before I settle in on a strategy I like.  

Edited by Bugkiller
Add later thoughts.