DeWalt any ideas.

I'm not really into DeWalt to 2 Watt FRS radios .. but apparently home Depot in there selling records of selling two-way radios this DeWalt has the most best reviews one I believe is because it's waterproof they used to sell Motorola but now they sell cobra  DeWalt what's your guys opinions .  It would be nice if Motorola will sell to the Home Depot some other license free products. Like the RDX/RDM series Walmart radio. Which is license free.  Also like 900 MHz radio they should add on for their selling records I think home Depot not just sell just FRS to really keep the the calmness down on interference and on with contractors traffic people they should start selling license free other bands instead selling the two pack UHF FRS GMRS radios that people are seem to be more having difficulty with.. I would definitely in my book I would definitely show this to representative myself of a company like home Depot and have them start giving out different types of brands start selling some VHF equipment in the license free zone. 900 MHz. You see it on home depot's website but they don't sell it in stores so it will be nice if they actually do sell it in stores so people can grab a license free portable and not have to worry about ridiculous problems.  Although Walmart does not have any PL or DPL set so you have to kind of just be away from those stores. Without them hearing you..

Screenshot_20220114-000122.png

I talked to the DeWalt rep one day at HD. Their goal is contractors and sell very well. As said construction guys love their stuff. They sell anything they can to contractors and radio get sold a lot. I was in the market for the "boom box" radio charge they had and he said its one of the most sold products they have outside a screw gun. Guess it makes sense. Everyone needs charger and radio on a construction site ! 

Lowes sells the Motorola FRS stuff. Actually grabbed a pack one day for a project when I forgot mine. 

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=motorola+talkabout

I confess to buying some of these DeWalt FRS radios, as part of my work involves making sure that site construction teams have some form of radio comms besides a cellular phone.

These are contractors that have a tendency to have "sticky fingers" and there has been a historical precedent for commercial (VHF and UHF band) XPR series Motorola Trbo radio going missing at some construction sites.

I also have experience with the DTR series Motorola ISM band 900 MHz frequency hopping radios. The Motorola DTR series radios were also marketed toward construction crews and those in high rise buildings or campus locations where the 1 watt power managed to get you 1-1.5 miles of range. However, each DTR series radio is a minimum of $250 when buying in bulk.

The DeWalt radios that OP showed, are about $130-150 a pair, and I use my military discount at Home Depot, saving a little on that price. For something that may get lost, broken, or stolen, that price point works. As for the FRS UHF band aspect, many locations where these construction teams work, is already in saturated UHF spectrum areas. Luckily they are relatively low power, and sold with the expectation that you must accept any interference by other users. That was the selling point of the DTR series ISM band radios, being frequency hoppers, there was almost no likelihood of interference, but this also did not work too well. In several urban areas here in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, I take a DTR410 and listen to "Channel 1" set to the factory default settings and commonly hear other users. They sold well in this area, even at three to four time the price of a good FRS/GMRS radio. But without programming custom hopsets, they are a lower powered radio that just happens to get around buildings well, due to being higher frequency. 

I recommend both, but for different reasons. The DeWalt is a great sacrificial FRS radio, that is built tougher than most, and for sale at Home Depot. The bright color means they do not get lost easily if dropped, and they match the tools used by the workers at construction sites. However, in many areas UHF spectrum is saturated, and it may be hard to find a channel/tone/DCS setting to deal with that. This is where the DTR/DPL and related Motorola ISM band radios shine, you will not hear any of that UHF "noise" when you move to 900 MHz. 

9 hours ago, RadioDog245 said:

I'm not really into DeWalt to 2 Watt FRS radios .. but apparently home Depot in there selling records of selling two-way radios this DeWalt has the most best reviews one I believe is because it's waterproof they used to sell Motorola but now they sell cobra  DeWalt what's your guys opinions .  It would be nice if Motorola will sell to the Home Depot some other license free products. Like the RDX/RDM series Walmart radio. Which is license free.  Also like 900 MHz radio they should add on for their selling records I think home Depot not just sell just FRS to really keep the the calmness down on interference and on with contractors traffic people they should start selling license free other bands instead selling the two pack UHF FRS GMRS radios that people are seem to be more having difficulty with.. I would definitely in my book I would definitely show this to representative myself of a company like home Depot and have them start giving out different types of brands start selling some VHF equipment in the license free zone. 900 MHz. You see it on home depot's website but they don't sell it in stores so it will be nice if they actually do sell it in stores so people can grab a license free portable and not have to worry about ridiculous problems.  Although Walmart does not have any PL or DPL set so you have to kind of just be away from those stores. Without them hearing you..

I confess to having a difficult time understanding some of your posts.  I think you’re saying that you object to the fact that Home Depot sells FRS radios which are DeWalt branded, and which are marketed towards construction professionals. It also seems that you would prefer they sell devices that were 900 MHz. Is that it?

Why is this any different than sporting goods stores or big box stores selling FRS radios? Is it possible that your real objection is that FRS interferes with GMRS?  If so, that’s something that should be taken up with the FCC.

I got a couple of these DeWalts for kayaking and they have been great! Luckily, I haven't had a chance to see if they are actually waterproof. I got them last year on Amazon for around $120. They don't have many features and aren't repeater-capable, but not bad for the price.

3 minutes ago, coopthink said:

I haven't had a chance to see if they are actually waterproof.

I have found a few outside around my office where construction crews forgot them, leaving them on the ground over a weekend, with rain, wet grass, and overnight dew. They at least hold up to that, as I checked to see if water intruded between the battery and the radio, it was dry. I may have to do an unofficial dunk test of one of these to find out. For what they are, they are durable, somewhat cheap, and are sacrificial in their use case where I work. Will post here if I dunk one. I am the one that would have to buy more anyway if they get lost, run over by forklift...well we did have one I suspect was run over by something, and it still worked, just looked a bit scratched up.

In contrast, Motorola XTS series radios run over by 4k forklift sheers off the buttons on the main board. Solder paste and a heat gun fixes these much of the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also looked at the DeWalts a while back and decided they are made by Cobra (or whoever makes them for Cobra).  You are right that they are one of the few that are specified as waterPROOF.  I have no idea if they really are waterproof though.  

I have the Cobra PX880 model that is probably the same internally but not waterproof.  This conclusion is based on the specs, features, and control scheme.  They are much smaller and cheaper than the DeWalts.  They work well but the sound quality is not as good as our other Cobra FRS radios.  They are nice and thin so fit in a shirt pocket.  I like the Li-Ion batteries.   Maybe the DeWalt has a different battery? 

Vince